Wrestling Forum banner

What if the NWO angle started in the WWF?

4K views 16 replies 12 participants last post by  promoter2003 
#1 ·
Obviously we all know how the NWO angle went down with WCW, and the boys jumping ship from the WWF at the time. However let's reverse things. What two men from WCW would you have do what Hall, and Nash did when they invaded the WCW? Obviously you have to have a third man as well. This may sound crazy, but I think Austin, and Pillman would have been fucking awesome. Both eventually left for the WWF. It would have been better than The Ringmaster for sure, and who knows we could have gotten a heel version of Austin as a Hollywood Blonde. He, and Pillman were gold with that act. The "Stunning" Steve character could have easily rolled over to Stone Cold no different than the Ringmaster did.

Pillman still could have been the "Loose Cannon" as well. Those two could have made just as much noise as Hall, and Nash did. Both Austin, and Pillman were a very popular heel tag team when they were together. Each guy could carry the mic, and carry it well. There is no doubt in my mind they would have been perfect. As for the leader, and the surprise member I would have to go with Sid Vicious. He was main eventing back then, and was rather popular. He was formerly of WCW as well, and I think this would have made it look as though it was started from the inside. What are your thoughts?

#4 ·
Re: What if the NWO angle started in the WWE?

Hall and Nash were main event acts who got paired with the biggest wrestling star of all time. WWE couldn't match that, nor could they match the undertone of "invaders from up north" because there wasn't this resistance to the other style of wrestling that was ingrained in the WCW product. Would not have been as good.

#6 ·

Yes, and some people crapped on the NWO back then too.

The internet wrestling community is made of a variety of people with a variety of different opinions. Why people try to pretend like it's some hivemind that all thinks the same thing I will never understand.

#7 ·

Yes, and some people crapped on the NWO back then too.

The internet wrestling community is made of a variety of people with a variety of different opinions. Why people try to pretend like it's some hivemind that all thinks the same thing I will never understand.

#8 ·

well, I'll go ahead and assume it's 1996

Bret was gone for the year, so it'd have to be Shawn Michaels being the 3rd man. Hall was the top mid carder in the WWE, Austin wasn't that far removed from being a US champion, he could do. But you'd need a WCW main eventer that was cool, and I don't think there's any WCW guy that would fit the bill

it wasn't just that they invaded WCW, the Outsiders, both Hall and Nash were perceived as incredibly cool. Cool is what made the NWO

#10 · (Edited)

I wanted to say Luger and Sting jump ship and play the "Outsiders" role. Luger and Sting were best friends at the top of the card just like Hall and nash. they also got that "cool" factor as they showed in the Wolfpac. Third man of course being Hogan as well. Eventually, Savage could have joined them.

But then I realized that Luger just went back to WCW a year earlier, so that would have never happened. A cool scenario to think about still.
NWO (Hogan, Savage, Sting and Luger) vs WWF (Bret, Shawn, Diesel and Taker)

#14 ·
When I saw the topic I thought you meant if it was reversed with the same guys. I think it could have worked, but nowhere as much as in wcw because wcw knew how to do the angle better. Look at the Invasion to understand what I mean.

A key part that played into the whole thing was the Billionaire Ted skits where the wwf made fun of Hogan and Savage. The skits ended with the wwf promoting its "new generation". WCW flipped it on the wwf to brilliance.

Hogan and Savage returning to wreck havoc on the new generation could have worked. I guess Bret Hart could have been the 3rd guy who had beef with HBK anyways.

So, I guess SummerSlam Hogan and Savage the Mega-Powers vs. HBK, Diesel, and Razor Ramone. Bret Hart is the 3rd man.

We get a Bret Hart, Hogan, and Savage rant on the new generation.

Best I could think of for his off my head that could be anywhere close if it was to be reversed with same elements in that time.

I think the nWo returning after WM 14 would have worked with Vince Mcmahon bringing them back to pick apart Austin.

#17 ·
HBK was awarded "Leader of the New Generation" award at the Slammy's the night before WrestleMania 12. Bret Hart in a promo a couple of weeks after WM 12 in Germany or something said that he felt betrayed by losing the belt the way he did.

There was ample reason for Bret Hart to turn on the "new generation" since HBK took his spot as WWF Champion and "Leader of the New Generation".

What do you think Bret Hart was really doing in semi-retirement he wanted HBK to flop as champion to gain more power in his negotiations to return. We saw what happened with Bret when he came back he turned on America for siding with people like HBK(who he said was a bad representation as champion and Austin who was bloodthirsty hyena).

Warrior wouldn't have worked because he got fired before the nWo even took off if we are using real time line.

On paper it made no sense for Hall or Nash being new gen wrestlers teaming with Hogan either, but adding in the story what Hogan stated at BATB made sense. Bret Hart could easily explain his reasons for turning on the New Generation since HBK took his spot and fans were leaning more towards HBK and Austin in 1996.

The angle was better done in wcw anyways.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.