Wrestling Forum : WWE, TNA, Debate League, Wrestling Videos, Women of Wrestling Forums - View Single Post - They're Already Ruining Del Rio

View Single Post

Old 01-26-2013, 05:58 PM   #11 (permalink)
Combat Analyst
Fired by SCOTT STEINER

Combat Analyst Combat Analyst Combat Analyst Combat Analyst Combat Analyst Combat Analyst Combat Analyst Combat Analyst
Default Re: They're Already Ruining Del Rio

Quote:
Originally Posted by TripleG View Post
They haven't completely blown it with him by any means, but that is strange to me. Why can't he have the cars still? I mean why be humble now?

Just because a person goes heel to face doesn't mean his core attributes have to change. I can't believe I am using this example, but remember that crappy straight to video sequel of Aladdin, Return of Jafar? Well in that movie, Iago turns into a good guy and helps Aladdin, but he's still a greedy and mean spirited character...he just softened just enough for audiences to buy it (audience of course being dozens of kids that'll get their parents to buy anything with a Disney logo on it).

I wouldn't say Del Rio is a failure as a face as his pairing with Ricardo showed more of a believable human side that I could connect with. But come on. Keep the cars! Let him be flashy.

I totally agree with this. One of my big wrestling booking pet peeves is that all faces have ot be friends and all heels have to be friends. That's just how it goes, but I think that is lazy and uncreative. Remember, these characters are human beings and just because the fans might cheer for the same two guys, that doesn't mean those two guys should get along and it doesn't also mean that a face can't be friends with a heel either.

One of the best subtle touches WWE has ever done was after Diesel turned heel at Survivor Series 1995. He attacked Bret Hart and started to say things like he never liked doing things the way the bosses told him too and smiling all the time. Guess what? Him and Shawn Michaels stayed friends and Shawn was the top babyface in the company. Why should Shawn care if Diesel attacked Bret? Shawn & Bret, two faces, aren't friends, so why should that effect his friendship with Nash? Eventually, they led to where Nash turned on Michaels and set up their match in April 1996, but I liked that it wasn't immediate. They didn't have Shawn go "Oh you're mean, I don't want to be your friend anymore!". They slowly built up the dissolving partnership, and that was more believable.

Going back to Del Rio, I didn't see it, but if it is true, him tagging with Sheamus is ridiculous. After the feud they had last year, if I were Del Rio, I'd spit in Sheamus' face every time I saw him. I'd hate being tagged up with him.
Exactly. Why is Cena friends with Orton after the man punted his father in the head? Not only does WWE make their heels friend with the faces when the heels turn face, but they make it as if no past beef existed between them. As if no one remembers they were evil.

Black Is Beautiful

Spoiler for DrIllmatic:
Combat Analyst is offline   Reply With Quote