Wrestling Forum banner

Wrestling Observer Awards for 2013 revealed

32K views 199 replies 105 participants last post by  Sarcasm1 
#1 ·
Did a quick search but couldn't see a thread - have bolded the awards awarded to WWE and TNA:

Wrestler of the Year: Hiroshi Tanahashi (NJPW)
Most Outstanding Wrestler: Hiroshi Tanahasi (NJPW)
Best Box Office Draw: The Rock (WWE)
Feud of the Year: Hiroshi Tanahashi vs. Kazuchika Okada (NJPW)
Tag Team of the Year: Christopher Daniels and Kazarian (TNA)
Most Improved: Kazuchika Okada (NJPW)
Best on Interviews: CM Punk (WWE)
Most Charismatic: The Rock (WWE)
Best Technical Wrestler: Daniel Bryan (WWE) - Has won this award every year since 2005.
Bruiser Brody Memorial Award for Best Brawler: Kevin Steen (ROH)
Best Flying Wrestler: Kota Ibushi (Dramatic Dream Team)
Most Overrated: Ryback (WWE)
Most Underrated: Tyson Kidd (WWE)
Promotion of the Year: New Japan Pro Wrestling
Best Weekly Television Show: TNA Impact Wrestling
Match of the Year: Hiroshi Tanahashi vs. Minoru Suzuki - King of Pro Wrestling; Tokyo, Japan; October 8th (NJPW)
Rookie of the Year: DinastĂ­a (Asistencia AsesorĂ­a y AdministraciĂłn)
Best Non-Wrestler: Paul Heyman (WWE) - Last win for Heyman in this category was in 2002
Best TV Announcer: Jim Ross (WWE) - 14 time winner in this category.
Worst TV Announcer: Michael Cole (WWE) - 4th consecutive year "winning" this category
Best Major Show: King of Pro Wrestling (NJPW)
Worst Major Show: No Surrender (TNA)
Best Wrestling Maneuver: Kazuchika Okada - Rainmaker (Wrist lock into a short-arm lariat) (NJPW)
Most Disgusting Promotional Tactic: WWE broadcasting a dead Jerry Lawler being revived after a heart attack, and then having CM Punk and Paul Heyman mock the heart attack in front of Lawler (WWE)
Worst TV Show: WWE Monday Night RAW
Worst Worked Match: John Cena vs. John Laurinaitis - Over the Limit (WWE)
Worst Feud: John Cena vs. Kane (WWE)
Worst Promotion: TNA
Best Booker: Jado and Gedo (NJPW)
Best Gimmick: Joseph Park, Esq. - Lawyer brother of Abyss (TNA)
Worse Gimmick: Aces & Eights - Invading biker gang (TNA)
Best Pro Wrestling Book: Shooters: The Toughest Men in Professional Wrestling - Jonathan Snowden
Best Pro Wrestling DVD: CM Punk: Best in The World (WWE)

See less See more
#58 ·
It would be a surprise if they voted for anyone else than Ryback as the most overrated wrestler. They are spot on with this one

#65 ·
The guy comes in as a jobber killer with a winning streak. Starts getting over with his chant. Is put into a main event storyline because of John Cena's injury. Has a match with the WWE Champion CM Punk at Hell in the Cell which bumps up the buyrate for the PPV from last year. Remains over, but never wins the WWE Championship. Loses a triple threat match by shenanigans which involve three top prospects from NXT. Loses a TLC tag match to the said group. Loses a TLC match for the WWE Championship because of that said group.

He's over as hell. Even though he does get "Goldberg" chants, he even get's big pops in smark cities like Philadelphia. I haven't heard him outright booed yet.

So tell me, how is he overrated?

Reactions: Tony Tornado
#62 ·
Most Underrated: Tyson Kidd (WWE)
Hm... not sure I agree with that. In ring-wise, sure but... eh.

Worst TV Announcer: Michael Cole (WWE) - 4th consecutive year "winning" this category
Hell no, not as long as Jerry Lawler remains behind the desk.

Most Disgusting Promotional Tactic: WWE broadcasting a dead Jerry Lawler being revived after a heart attack, and then having CM Punk and Paul Heyman mock the heart attack in front of Lawler (WWE)
While that was bad, even worse was selling t-shirts after the fact to cash in on what happened.

Worst Feud: John Cena vs. Kane (WWE)
I'm sure there's been worse.

Other than that everything else looks good. Surprised to see Impact win best show.

#63 ·
Some of these results are just freakin' weird.

How on Earth can TNA be voted the 2nd Worst Promotion, but TNA Impact voted the Best Weekly Television show (by a pretty good margin over the WWE shows too)? I mean I understand there are other factors that go into deciding how good a promotion is, but if they have the best TV show, shouldn't that ease off almost winning worst promotion?

How in God's name is John Cena third most charismatic when half the fans hate his guts even though he's supposed to be the top babyface? And heck, if this week's Raw is any indicator, a lot of them don't even have the energy to react to him anymore.

How is Cena Vs. Kane the worst feud? I mean yeah it was bad, but seriously? The worst?!?! Claire Lynch and that whole fiasco was not as bad as Cena/Kane, really?! AJ/Vickie is probably the only one I would accept being worse than Claire Lynch since it ripped off elements from that.

And I don't understand this about the Observer awards. What is the difference between Wrestler of the Year (Flair/Thesz award) and Most Outstanding Wrestler? Isn't that the same thing?

#64 ·
How on Earth can TNA be voted the 2nd Worst Promotion, but TNA Impact voted the Best Weekly Television show (by a pretty good margin over the WWE shows too)? I mean I understand there are other factors that go into deciding how good a promotion is, but if they have the best TV show, shouldn't that ease off almost winning worst promotion?
I am amazed so many people here can't grasp the fact WWE has 5 TV shows now. Those 5 shows spilt the vote.

#74 ·
How did Sheamus vs. Del Rio not win worst feud?

#82 ·
I think they have a thing against Kane. Hes won that "award" an absurd amount of times. I mean hes been in some bad feuds but not on the level of Cena/Laurinaitus.

#87 ·
I call a lot of them decisions bull shit.

TNA is all the proof you need, which crazy person voted for that.

#90 · (Edited)
Hard to argue with a lot of these picks. I would agree with those that felt JR shouldn't be best commentator. I would go with JBL, Excalibur, and Nigel McGuinness before JR.

TNA as worst promotion is kind of puzzling also. I thought ROH had a the worse year.

Another strange one is Okada getting the award for best maneuver. I know the short-arm clothesline is really over, but it isn't anything groundbreaking.

#94 ·
>Sheamus ranked higher than Brock Lesnar as a brawler
>Gunner Vs. Bischoff not the worst match of the year
>Neutralizer is second best finisher
>UFC being called "wrestling"
>Anybody ranked worse than Taz and Miz
>Daniel Bryan 8th on interviews
>Impact being best show, TNA being worst promotion
>Cena and Generico being ranked as best/most outstanding than Austin Aries?

Awful.

#98 ·
I think it's stupid that Michael Cole won worst announcer. He stopped being annoying and shit back in 2011. He did a fine job on commentary all year. He's not great and he will probably never be great, but Lawler or Taz not winning that is just ridiculous.

Also that Rainmaker finisher being the best? It's a good move, but Cesaro's neutraliser or his uppercut should have won that IMO.

Oh and AJ/Lynch should have won worst feud. That shit was far worse than anything else during the year. Plus, the Kane/Cena feud includes Ryder being pushed off the stage which is just a classic moment.

#99 · (Edited)
NJPW deserve all the awards they won. WWE loyalist can complain all they want, NJPW kicked major ass in quality for 2012, something WWE failed to do with the exception of a few diamonds within piles of shit. Also glad Okada won three awards, he deserves them.

Reactions: Chismo
#100 · (Edited)
How the hell can TNA win both the best weekly TV show and the worst promotion? It's breaking the laws of time and space.

Also how did Team Hell No not win best tag team? They've been a staple of Raw and Smackdown for most of what I remember the last year. Even before they won the title. Individually and as a team DB and Kane have absolutely bossed late2011-2012.

And JBL deserves best announcer. He's frighteningly good.

#108 ·
lol at the people who can't figure out why TNA won Best TV Show and Worst Promotion.

Just goes to show that there's no logic in wrestling and some smarks can be dumb.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.