Wrestling Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Tennis Discussion Thread

244K views 7K replies 141 participants last post by  Nige™ 
#1 ·

Hot off the heels of an amazing French Open, the men and women now turn to the grass courts of Wimbledon. Can Rafa continue with his momentum, or can Novak wrestle it back? Can Federer rise up and collect another slam? Can Murray get a breakthrough slam in front of his home crowd? Will there be a darkhorse shocker like Tomic :side: to come through and take the world by storm?

I'm thoroughly looking forward to this event, it's my favourite slam and I'm really hoping to see some great tennis on display. As far as the ladies go, you'd have to think Sharapova, Kvitova, Serena, Azarenka etc will all be in the mix, Stosur a slight chance provided she doesn't choke it up in monumental fashion, and well, who knows with the women, Wozniacki might even break through and break her duck.

June 25th, can't come soon enough.

See less See more
#5,371 ·
Hard luck for Robson there. Completely different opening first set performance to the Erakovic match as she looked confident and effective from the start with some strong holds. Breaking and serving for the set only to be broken back convincingly and then going from 5-2 up in the tie break to saving a set point only to eventually lose the next two points was a disappointing end to the set but she's firmly in the match and just needs a strong head to overcome that disappointment.

Serena losing the first set in that fashion is eye catching.

#5,377 ·
Robson departs 7-6 7-5.

Shame as she really played consistently well here and her serving was as strong as I've seen it for a while. Some great winners, played some big points perfectly and generally kept up with Kanepi throughout. Just a case of Kanepi playing the bigger points better and just taking advantage of any openings and breaking at the right time. 4th Round is still a good achievement for Robson and something to build on for the rest of the year.

#5,391 ·
Just seen the Lisicki beat Serena...I'm more than shocked, I though Serena had the tournament in the bag to be honest. Who's going to win on the women's side now? Aside from Kvitova, would we have a new slam champion? Would love for Murray and Lisicki to win the titles this year.

Robson shouldn't feel down about that loss. Kanepi has a worse ranking than her, but she's far better than her ranking. She's been in these situations before, and the sets were both incredibly tight. Big things will come from Robson, the consistency she's looking for will come in a couple of years and then she'll be a real threat.

#5,393 ·
Berydch/Djokovic should be good, both playing well but Novak slightly better despite two solid sets from Haas to push him at the end. Tomic looked threatening but Berydch's class in the big points was the difference. Djokovic will be tested, and despite betting on Berdych to meet Murray in the final, the way Novak's playing he'll be there.

Del Potro better beat Ferrer, although I'd quite like Ferrer to be smashed off the court and embarrassed in three easy sets by Djokovic should he win.

Glad Serena's out in a way. I love Lisicki. It's a pity she only ever performs consistently on grass. Emotional too at the end and in her interview. Lisicki/Kvitova or Stephens final looks likely now. Hopefully it's Stephens not Kvitova.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.