Wrestling Forum : WWE, TNA, ROH, Wrestling Videos, Women of Wrestling Forums - View Single Post - Velvet's new look

View Single Post

Old 01-24-2013, 12:08 AM   #32 (permalink)
Mrs. Austin Aries
Getting ignored by SCOTT STEINER

Mrs. Austin Aries 501 - 1000Mrs. Austin Aries 501 - 1000Mrs. Austin Aries 501 - 1000Mrs. Austin Aries 501 - 1000Mrs. Austin Aries 501 - 1000Mrs. Austin Aries 501 - 1000Mrs. Austin Aries 501 - 1000
Default Re: Velvet's new look

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riddle101 View Post
Well, when you're being pushed as strongly as Velvet Sky is, and you're only claim to fame is being hot, it kind've cast a bad stereotype on female wrestling. Put simply, you have all those women on the indies who have actually busted their ass perfecting their craft, trying to distance female wrestling from that old stereotype, of just being pretty face, and then you have this. Fans only caring about one thing, their looks.

Funny enough, people complain about the WWE divas being like this, and now the KOs are the same way.
This is the point I was getting at. Yesterday, I watched the shoot interview with the late Luna Vachon and she told the story of how much she wanted to be the Women's Champion, but she had to put Sable over at Wrestlemania, and how Sable didn't have to take bumps, and how they told her if she scratched or bruised Sable, she'd be fired. She said some other stuff too, but the current state of women's wrestling in the Western mainstream makes more sense to me. Can't have the women be equal to or more entertaining than the men in terms of wrestling ability, because ultimately it's not about that. They should know their role: T&A, a designation supported by the women themselves. In a way that's fine so long as they're managers, valets, GMs, but if their sexuality overshadows their wrestling ability, or their skills are mediocre at best, they don't really need to be a wrestler to be relevant. Velvet Sky would be relevant to some people, including myself, if she was just a manager or Head of the Knockouts, though at the same time it would not be fair for me to begrudge her her dream, because I do think she enjoys wrestling. I'm not at all a feminist, but when I think about it... Oh well, I could say it's archaic but that wouldn't be true.
When reading posts in a wrestling forum is like reading Beyonce vs Rihanna flame wars, it's time to stop and go back to merely watching wrestling (and thereby enjoying it) rather than reading about it.

Mrs. Austin Aries is offline   Reply With Quote