Wrestling Forum banner

WCW Discussion Thread

86K views 652 replies 104 participants last post by  ddp 
#1 ·
This is a must if you were in the chatbox tonight. Sticky plz.

Discuss all of the goodness of World Championship Wrestling that came from the moment Vince Russo came in from latter 1999, 2000, and the final months of 2001.

Seems as fitting as a place to start.

#264 ·
Re: WCW Discussion Thread because people get asshurt about JUST RUSSO

Heenans comment was stupid of course but it didn't ruin it. At worst it gave it away but Hogans face and the fact that there were two Outsiders against three WCW guys and they still had to bring out their third guy which most likely would also be a "New York" guy all gave it away.

With that said it was still shocking as hell. It's like they wanted us to think it's Hogan but we wouldn't want to accept that it moght be Hogan.

#268 ·

It was hard to ruin the Hogan heel turn to be honest. Back in July '96 there was not really an IWC and the only people that knew what was happening backstage were the subscribers to W.O.N. Obviously most realised it was fake, but for 99% of viewers kayfabe was alive and the WWF/WCW audience consisted of families. Meltzer reported everybody from King Mable to Lex Luger as the third Outsider, but not Hogan.

Genuinely impossible to believe Hulkamania would go heel until it actually happened, even then was difficult to grasp.

Another important note: Not many people actually saw it happen live. WCW PPVs weren't shown outside of America and the PPV was bought by approx. 175,000 households.

#276 · (Edited)

It was hard to ruin the Hogan heel turn to be honest. Back in July '96 there was not really an IWC and the only people that knew what was happening backstage were the subscribers to W.O.N. Obviously most realised it was fake, but for 99% of viewers kayfabe was alive and the WWF/WCW audience consisted of families. Meltzer reported everybody from King Mable to Lex Luger as the third Outsider, but not Hogan.

Genuinely impossible to believe Hulkamania would go heel until it actually happened, even then was difficult to grasp.

Another important note: Not many people actually saw it happen live. WCW PPVs weren't shown outside of America and the PPV was bought by approx. 175,000 households.
Very true. I was lucky to be one of the 175,000 people who actually got to see it live (on PPV). At the time, we had the "black box" and got all the PPVs for free. It was awesome. I was 13 in 1996, so I was right in the age range of being super obsessed with wrestling. I'll never forget right after Hogan leg-dropped Savage, looking at my best friend who was sitting across the room and both of us had the eyes wide open look on our faces. No one really saw that heel turn coming. Not even when Hogan was walking down the aisle. And speaking for myself, I didn't take Heenan's "Whose side is he on?" comment seriously at all. I thought he was just hating on Hogan like he always did.

EDIT- Actually, maybe there was slightly more than 175,000 people watching on PPV. That number doesn't take into account those of us who had the black box :)

#279 ·

So, is being 22 and still super obsessed with wrestling a bad thing? b/c I never thought it was. :eek:
Haha, nah, I don't think it's a bad thing at all. I'm 29 and still love it. I might not love the current product, but I still watch it. And I still watch my DVDs/Blu Rays and Classics on Demand all the time. Love the wrasslin' :)

#284 ·

I thought I was gonna have to bust out the EL DANDY mention here. Appears not. EL DANDY.

Best thing to do is get super high and watch all of the lucha trios and atomicos matches within WCW. You'll see them fly around and all that good shit. You'll be blown away x100. For example this is one I watched when I did it:

The part when El Dandy splats on the outside was the funniest moment of my life. EL DANDY.

#288 ·

I kid you not, La Parka was always my favorite Cruiserweight (just trying to prove I'm not jumping on the bandwagon). I loved his costume and that guy could put on a wicked show. And he played guitar with a steel chair.

I dunno about you guys, but as great as the Cruiserweights were, I always felt they...botched a lot. Especially Super Calo. I can't remember ever seeing a match where he didn't fuck up at least once.

#290 ·

I kid you not, La Parka was always my favorite Cruiserweight (just trying to prove I'm not jumping on the bandwagon). I loved his costume and that guy could put on a wicked show. And he played guitar with a steel chair.

I dunno about you guys, but as great as the Cruiserweights were, I always felt they...botched a lot. Especially Super Calo. I can't remember ever seeing a match where he didn't fuck up at least once.
Bandwagon or not it's all good. La Parka is the man.

I don't remember too many botches with the good ones. I know they happened from time to time. Nothing no wrestler is immune from. The latter years, yeah, they were there. Kids were young though so I wasn't surprised.

#293 ·

No way, man. BLITZKRIEG was the best find WCW had. Took a young indie kid and gave him the spotlight to own it up for a year. I'm still thankful for it.

vs Juvi from Spring Stampede '99 = :mark: :mark: :mark:

#295 ·

Fully agreed. It's one of the few I own. Good thing too. For some reason clips of DDP's massive Championship win are nowhere to be found online. Only the second one from the Four Way Match from Nitro is.

Raven & Saturn vs Benoit & Malenko & Bigelow vs Hak on that show is also pretty mark out worthy. Great matches. The pop for Raven & Saturn = (Y)

#298 ·

Hailsabin, what did you think of DDP's heel turn (which would lead to the rise of the Jersey Triad) throughout that year?
I loved it actually. Even though it was a bit weird to turn one of the most over faces a heel when reaching the top. That did leave a bit to be desired, but the entire heel turn was based off the ego of becoming the World Champ. So at least they covered their tracks right there. I thought Page slipped into the role perfectly as it wasn't his first time being a heel in the company. He left his real life persona behind and embraced a cocky one again. That's the beauty of Page, he was able to work a simple character to it's near perfect degree.

Love the Triad too. It got Page to feel big enough to have his own clique and he was given two radical (and underrated) talents in Bigelow & Kanyon as his stablemates. Fact it did give all 3 a good rub during a point of that year only contributes to the positives, imo. Only good thing about Bash at the Beach '99 was their Handicap match vs the equally awesome duo of Chris Benoit & Perry Saturn.

WCW had a ridiculously strong roster that year.

Hardcore Hak
Complete waste. Never a good wrestler but a Sandman/Raven revival feud could have been fun even in ultra PG WCW.

Mikey Whipwreck
They did nothing with him. Nash didn't even know who he was according to legend.

Blitzkrieg
Russo killing the cruiserweight division finished him off. If there is one reason to dislike him, it is letting this guy get released.

Any of these guys could have moved into the main event in '99, but Nash, Hogan and co wouldn't have it:
Raven
Eddie Guerrero
Booker T
Big Poppa Pump
Chris Jericho
Rey Mysterio Jr. - losing his mask was a mistake)
Chris Benoit
Shane Douglas

That brings me to Steven Regal.
He got a great push '93 to '97 under a character which was too restrictive for headlining. When he returned in 1999 they did nothing with him. We knew how talented he was though, evidence in WWE 15 months later under his Goodwill Ambassador gimmick.
The story of WCW wouldn't you say? Roster was chalk full of talent but instead of seeing most get a chance it was the same ol guys (ol = OLD) and nothing really changed till it was too late.

#297 ·

Hardcore Hak
Complete waste. Never a good wrestler but a Sandman/Raven revival feud could have been fun even in ultra PG WCW.

Mikey Whipwreck
They did nothing with him. Nash didn't even know who he was according to legend.

Blitzkrieg
Russo killing the cruiserweight division finished him off. If there is one reason to dislike him, it is letting this guy get released.

Any of these guys could have moved into the main event in '99, but Nash, Hogan and co wouldn't have it:
Raven
Eddie Guerrero
Booker T
Big Poppa Pump
Chris Jericho
Chris Benoit
Shane Douglas

He got a great push '93 to '97 under a character which was too restrictive for headlining. When he returned in 1999 they did nothing with him. We knew how talented he was though, evidence in WWE 15 months later under his Goodwill Ambassador gimmick.

#303 ·

Hardcore Hak

Mikey Whipwreck

Blitzkrieg

Raven
Eddie Guerrero
Booker T
Big Poppa Pump
Chris Jericho
Chris Benoit
Shane Douglas

Disagree with Eddie. He was in a really serious car accident on New Year's Day 1999 and even upon returning in June, I read somewhere that Eddie himself even admitted that his body wasn't ready to get back into the ring and start working a full schedule. So I'd have said that 1999 probably wasn't his time, basically due to his injuries.

Booker and Steiner ended up getting to the main event a year later in 2000, which is rather interesting, actually. They'd brought in a ton of new talent around April to start their turn around, so there was more competition (in addition to the previous ones, such as Nash) like Jarrett, Mike Awesome (never made it to the main event but had the potential), The Wall and whatnot.

And as we all know, Benoit won the World Title the day before he quit and went to the Fed, which was early 2000, so at least he got there as well.

Raven and Jericho...no excuses there. I always felt Rey was a bit too unbelievable for the main event. Hell of a worker, but seeing him try to realistically compete with the guys who were considered average size for the World Title, guys such as Jarrett, Sting, Bret, DDP, etc...I could never suspend my disbelief that much. I couldn't when he was contending for the title against Angle and Orton, either.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.