Wrestling Forum banner

Could WWE not have picked somebody more less terrible than Ryan Reeves for Ryback?

10K views 92 replies 54 participants last post by  KeepinItReal 
#1 ·
-Unable to work a good match at all unless Punk is in there
-Unable to work for 5 minutes without getting winded
-Unable to perform his finisher consistently without botching (Heyman, Tensai)
-Unable to cut even a below average promo
-Unbearably ugly (Literally one of the ugliest people I have ever seen)
-From every non-kayfabe interview he's done, he comes off as a massively cocky douche bag.
-Lacks any sort of charisma or ability to connect to the crowd without his chant
-Clearly a steroid user

I legitimately don't mind the idea of pushing somebody straight from their debut, it creates long-term stars, but this guy who plays Ryback is horrible at EVERYTHING except for being big and muscular. He has literally no other attractive quality. Why did they not pick somebody better for this push? Are there no other guys in development, or in free agency that could do as well as Ryback with this push? The guy is just so damn terrible, and it took him a long time to get over.

Ryback is cool, Ryan Reeves is horrible.

See less See more
#21 ·
Re: Could WWE not have picked somebody more less terrible than Ryan Reeves for Ryback

Couldn't disagree more with the OP. Ryback is gold. He's lost steam because of shit booking, but he has the makings of a legit star. And I'm tired of the Goldberg ripoff arguments. Is Goldberg supposed to be the only one that can ever be muscled, fast and intense in the ring? I actually like his finisher, although he should have a backup for larger wrestlers.

#3 ·
Re: Could WWE not have picked somebody more less terrible than Ryan Reeves for Ryback

tell us how u really feel

This post has been deleted
#6 ·

lolwut?

Ryback is Ryan Reeves' personally created gimmick and character that he's had for years.

He was in OVW with that gimmick.

Ryan Reeves using his Ryback gimmick 4 years ago in OVW:

#7 ·

Ryback is cool. Too bad most people still live in the 90's and think Bill Goldberg is coming out. Oh wait, some people hated him back then too, as show in that usenet thread months back with fans bitching.

Wrestling should just openly flame the IWC. It would be great.

#8 ·

That's not how it works. They don't come up with a character and then find a wrestler to play the role, they find a role that fits the wrestler. If Batista didn't debut the same time as Lesnar, Batista prob would've gotten that same push, but they couldn't do two at the same time (and Lesnar was younger and an incredible athlete). Today, someone looking like Ryback showed up, so they went the Goldberg route with him.

Couldn't they find someone else? Just not how it works. You see a star, you promote them, and Ryback's a star. He's popular NOW, he's entertaining in the ring, and he's improving on the mic. I loved him five months ago, when he was a midcarder, cuz I don't think he's ready for the main event, but guess what, there's no belt on him. His storyline with Punk was a two month storyline that's now over, so he can feud with Shield, a bunch of midcarders. Its all good.

And btw, Lesnar was and is horrible on the microphone, though I agree he was better and more entertaining altogether. This is why I think Ryback should be a monster heel. He's perfect for that role in my opinion.

#11 ·

That's not how it works. They don't come up with a character and then find a wrestler to play the role, they find a role that fits the wrestler. If Batista didn't debut the same time as Lesnar, Batista prob would've gotten that same push, but they couldn't do two at the same time (and Lesnar was younger and an incredible athlete). Today, someone looking like Ryback showed up, so they went the Goldberg route with him.

Couldn't they find someone else? Just not how it works. You see a star, you promote them, and Ryback's a star. He's popular NOW, he's entertaining in the ring, and he's improving on the mic. I loved him five months ago, when he was a midcarder, cuz I don't think he's ready for the main event, but guess what, there's no belt on him. His storyline with Punk was a two month storyline that's now over, so he can feud with Shield, a bunch of midcarders. Its all good.

And btw, Lesnar was and is horrible on the microphone, though I agree he was better and more entertaining altogether. This is why I think Ryback should be a monster heel. He's perfect for that role in my opinion.
:lmao

Ryback is not a star. Ryback is horrible. Ryback is not somebody that anything was seen in. The Shield are not destined for career mid-carding outside of a Vince fetish though, Ambrose is amazing and Reigns and Rollins are pretty good too, if somebody with a legitimate eye for talent and marketability was at the head of things, Ryback would not be a professional wrestler. Lesnar was good at wrestling and he still is, Lesnar is a 1 in a million athletic specimen who was an MMA champion while Ryback can't lift up Paul Heyman successfully and cannot work a match without getting insanely winded. Lesnar is also a more marketable guy because he is not untolerably ugly.

Orton was a guy where you could say that a star was seen. His face run was not too well received, but he still got pushed to the moon afterward. And, hate him or not, he certainly has been a successful star.

Reactions: The Cynical Heel
#9 ·

His squash matches are boring as fuck, and that is where he is supposed to shine.

I mean Goldberg & The Ultimate Warrior both got over because they killed their opponents in awesome ways. Ryback just has the same meandering paint by numbers match every time it is a squash.

And everything about him just screams Goldberg ripoff, which doesn't help.

#10 ·

His squash matches are boring as fuck, and that is where he is supposed to shine.

I mean Goldberg & The Ultimate Warrior both got over because they killed their opponents in awesome ways. Ryback just has the same meandering paint by numbers match every time it is a squash.

And everything about him just screams Goldberg ripoff, which doesn't help.
Goldberg retired 9 yrs ago, same day Lesnar did. I think its okay to reuse his/their look or gimmick.

#13 ·

-Unable to work a good match at all unless Punk is in there - Really ? You have barely seen him wrestle other than a few matches.
-Unable to work for 5 minutes without getting winded - Disagree. I think he's told to act like that, big and bad , huffing and puffing his chest and such.
-Unable to perform his finisher consistently without botching (Heyman, Tensai) - Agree with. I think he needs a different finisher ASAP. Hated the shellshock for a while now
-Unable to cut even a below average promo - Disagree. He has barely had any mic time on RAW. His promos as skip sheffield were pretty good imo.
-Unbearably ugly (Literally one of the ugliest people I have ever seen) - Don't know how this has any effect on character
-From every non-kayfabe interview he's done, he comes off as a massively cocky douche bag. - Same as above.
-Lacks any sort of charisma or ability to connect to the crowd without his chant - As much as I hate to say this, Having a chant is all that matters now-a-days. Although, I do agree he isn't very charamastic.
-Clearly a steroid user - You say this like it matters. Like it demerits hard work in the gym. It's exactly what Vince wants. What he has always wanted. TBH it's irrelevant.

I legitimately don't mind the idea of pushing somebody straight from their debut, it creates long-term stars, but this guy who plays Ryback is horrible at EVERYTHING except for being big and muscular. He has literally no other attractive quality. Why did they not pick somebody better for this push? Are there no other guys in development, or in free agency that could do as well as Ryback with this push? The guy is just so damn terrible, and it took him a long time to get over.

Read bold. As for the rest of your statement , I disagree and agree with some points. Not going to go in depths.

#16 ·

Lol, what? What promos did he have as Sheffield that were good? He has had at least 3 speaking promos on Raw so far, that's enough to tell if a guy isn't horrible. Ryback is horrible. I have seen every Ryback match other than pure squashes; he sucks. Being less fucking ugly is kinda good for marketability, you know? This is a staged sport; somebody like Cena sells because as shitty as he is at wrestling and talking, at least he doesn't look like a bruised potato with moles all over the back of its head. Having more than a chant actually does matter a lot, charisma gets people over. You can't just pretend that charisma is irrelevant. It's not.

:lmao How does steroid use not demerit hard work?

#17 ·

Ryback is another failed desperate attempt at a monster. The only difference is, he is a face.

And, Vince who thinks he is a creative genius - which he is not, will force him down our throats, until TNA is the best wrestling show. Or HHH stands up to him.

PS, with the no entrance to the traditional royal rumble scrap....

Who knows. Has VOnce got his wishes, when HHH turned pussy? Or HHH has overcome vince.

#58 ·

Ryback is another failed desperate attempt at a monster. The only difference is, he is a face.

And, Vince who thinks he is a creative genius - which he is not, will force him down our throats, until TNA is the best wrestling show. Or HHH stands up to him.

PS, with the no entrance to the traditional royal rumble scrap....

Who knows. Has VOnce got his wishes, when HHH turned pussy? Or HHH has overcome vince.
Ryback is Ryan Reeves' creation, not Vince's. See my post on page one.

Vince has been forcing the guys you want down your throat far more than he has Ryback. Ryback is barely on screen for very long per week, barely gets any mic time, and has lost every key match and fued he's been in. The exact opposite of being forced down people's throats.

Aside from that, he's just getting the normal monster booking of squashing jobbers, but jobbing to the most pushed guys. Nothing outstanding. Absolutely not forced. Forced would be CM Punk, Sheamus, The Shield, AJ, Big Show, Del Rio, and Cena. People who either win every fued, win every important match, get tons of air time, get tons of mic time, or combinations of any number of those at once.

That's what being forced is. . .not appearing 4 mins a week and beating a jobber everyone else beats, then getting put through a table every other week and losing at every PPV even against rookies.

I just can't wait for the day Triple H takes over and makes RAW what it was. He clearly sees actual talent since he's the head of developmental. He is the one that saved us from a Rytarded title reign when Vince thought it would be 'cool' to make Rybitch won the WWE title...
Vince never planned for Ryback to win the title. He was always an emergency replacement to face Punk for when Cena got injured. You guys were blowing the bomb sirens over nothing.

HHH didn't save anything. Also, his "choices" are just as bad as Vince's if not worse. See: Sin Cara. HHH ain't no white knight. If anything, he's had far more of a hand in the show lately than Vince has, and the show's been quite boring with dropping ratings for over a year because of it. The entire time, almost none of "Vince's choices" doing anything significant whatsoever. Coincidence? Or direct correlation?

This is hilarious. I honestly thought it was kids were the only ones digging the Ryback thing while adults were just going along with it for the sake of it. I'm honestly embarrassed to inhibit the same planet as some of you. I can understand not minding Ryback, but come on? You really want the dude to be a major part of the show you watch every week? let alone being the face of the company? Are you people who like Ryback the same people who made nickelback famous?
On the contrary, adults (me) like Ryback because he's badass. Most of the roster is filled with weak pussies who debate to get over rather than kick ass. I like badass characters like Randy Orton, Mark Henry, and Ryback. They're not kiddie at all. Kiddie would be wrestlers like Santino. Pretty much total opposite of those guys.

You're just rationalizing Ryback's popularity with, "it must just be the kids", so you can more easily hate on him like you do with Cena. It's kinda sad that IWC's arguments have been reduced to blaming kids for wrestlers being over, rather than give the wrestlers even a shred of credit.

#18 ·

Impact already is the best wrestling show, but it's not viewed as much as WWE is.

#22 ·

Well guess what OP? He's a draw for kids, has a chant and sells merch (those poncho things he wears sell pretty well). He'll be here for a while, get over it.

If you think he's horrible on the mic, you clearly have only ever seen him as Ryback and not over the course of his (I think?) 7/8 year career.

Though I must admit, I think he'd work better as the silent muscle or bodyguard type better than he does as a face. It'd be more intimidating. But that's not to say I don't enjoy his current character.

#23 ·

I just can't wait for the day Triple H takes over and makes RAW what it was. He clearly sees actual talent since he's the head of developmental. He is the one that saved us from a Rytarded title reign when Vince thought it would be 'cool' to make Rybitch won the WWE title...

#44 ·

Gotta be the worst example of pretending to read the promoters' minds I've seen on this site. They were building towards Punk vs. Rock for half a yr (so no Ryback title reign), and every screwjob against Ryback has been an essential character development for CM Punk's cheating heel character (so no Ryback title reign), AND Ryback was only put in the title picture when John Cena got injured (it was a foregone conclusion Punk would face Cena at HIAC), but you, in all your infinite wisdom, have seen past this silly logic, have read the mind of the promoter who gave you every wrestler you've cared about, and concluded that he is in fact an idiot. And you even throw in 'cool,' as if you figured out that much from Vince's brain?

Oh, and 'Rytarded.' Clever. No one was planning to put the title on Ryback. If you really thought that was where the story was headed, then praise the WWE for being more unpredictable than its ever been. But its not. They were never going in that direction.

#27 ·

LOL we know who are the ones that complain that Ryback is over and is a future star they same one who dont like him getting pushed over goat face and the second coming of jesus Ambrose,its in threads like these were you can see the hypocritical bullshit from some marks here,this are the same people who bitch and moan of how Vince never produces ''new'' talent and how he should be building new stars(punk,bryan,ambrose) instead of giving the spotlight to old attitude era guys(taker,Rock,HHH) but the minute they try to build someone you complain on how you dont like this guy cause hes ugly XDDDD pure gold

#28 ·

-Unable to work a good match at all unless Punk is in there
-Unable to work for 5 minutes without getting winded
-Unable to perform his finisher consistently without botching (Heyman, Tensai)
-Unable to cut even a below average promo
-Unbearably ugly (Literally one of the ugliest people I have ever seen)
-From every non-kayfabe interview he's done, he comes off as a massively cocky douche bag.
-Lacks any sort of charisma or ability to connect to the crowd without his chant
-Clearly a steroid user

Not sure what interviews your watching. Ryback has consistently been called one of the most humble, down-to-earth guys in the whole company, and it shows in his interviews.

#29 ·

All this site is is a bunch of idiots watching a show they claim sucks every week and bitching about it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.