Wrestling Forum banner

Could WWE not have picked somebody more less terrible than Ryan Reeves for Ryback?

10K views 92 replies 54 participants last post by  KeepinItReal 
#1 ·
-Unable to work a good match at all unless Punk is in there
-Unable to work for 5 minutes without getting winded
-Unable to perform his finisher consistently without botching (Heyman, Tensai)
-Unable to cut even a below average promo
-Unbearably ugly (Literally one of the ugliest people I have ever seen)
-From every non-kayfabe interview he's done, he comes off as a massively cocky douche bag.
-Lacks any sort of charisma or ability to connect to the crowd without his chant
-Clearly a steroid user

I legitimately don't mind the idea of pushing somebody straight from their debut, it creates long-term stars, but this guy who plays Ryback is horrible at EVERYTHING except for being big and muscular. He has literally no other attractive quality. Why did they not pick somebody better for this push? Are there no other guys in development, or in free agency that could do as well as Ryback with this push? The guy is just so damn terrible, and it took him a long time to get over.

Ryback is cool, Ryan Reeves is horrible.

See less See more
#35 ·
Re: Could WWE not have picked somebody more less terrible than Ryan Reeves for Ryback

Ryback has grown on me A LOT in the last few months. His promo style isn't amazing, but it's unique to him and how he carries himself and I like it. Yes, he's big and built and won't be able to have a 30-minute match, but he's entertaining when he's not being showcased multiple times on the same show. He has charisma and is definitely connecting with the fans and the fans respond by chanting "feed me more".

I just don't want to see him destroy The Shield :lol

#38 ·
Re: Could WWE not have picked somebody more less terrible than Ryan Reeves for Ryback

most hated wrestler right now.when he's champion heads are going to explode.

#39 ·

DAMN, I LOVE MY JOB.

Eh Ryback's okay. His squash matches have lost their point though now and his promos are nothing special at the best of times. It's a huge breathe of fresh air to have a main event face who isn't booked as a smiling suck-up with shitty jokes for once, and for that I do like him and I believe that is why he's gotten over with the audience too.

Unfortunately unless he changes something up I have a feeling he'll just be a flash in the pan. I can't see him in the main event a year from now doing this same thing. The Goldberg ripoff comparisons are obviously spot-on but as far as him lasting in the WWE goes I see him as more of a Lashley than anything.

#41 ·

Unable to work a good match at all unless Punk is in there
The longest matches he's had so far as against Punk. So obviously his best matches are going to be his longest, because he's able to sell and do alot of stuff in the match compared to his squash matches.

Unable to work for 5 minutes without getting winded
I haven't seen that at all.

Unable to perform his finisher consistently without botching (Heyman, Tensai)
I have no clue what happened with Heyman, but Tensai was obviously a sandbag. It was obvious when Ryback did the Shellshock on Tensai a few weeks later and it was flawless.

Unable to cut even a below average promo
He's not supposed to be a really good talker, he's a monster. He talks on the mic to connect with the audience, but it's not a requirement for a guy who let's his actions speak louder than his words.

Unbearably ugly (Literally one of the ugliest people I have ever seen)
How in the hell does this matter?

From every non-kayfabe interview he's done, he comes off as a massively cocky douche bag.
I don't know where you see that. I see a guy who has ambition and doesn't look to highly of himself. Hell, he doesn't seem to mind the Goldberg chants. He feels it's a compliment.

Lacks any sort of charisma or ability to connect to the crowd without his chant
His chant IS the way he connects with the crowd.

Clearly a steroid user
Yep, so he's big. So he must be on steroids. fpalm

Ryback is one of the guys in the company that I feel can be the next top face. You may not agree, but look at him. He's got the size, skills, and ability. He's over as all hell, and his chant is over too. He's been in developmental/main roster for years, so he's got a shit-ton of experience.

#42 ·

You've clearly stretched your list of complaints wayyyyy too far. The only legitimate one is that he can barely cut a promo, just like all but 12ish guys on the roster, and yet Ryback is IMPROVING on the mic. Everything else is minor and to be improved upon, or bullshit.

-Winded after 5 minutes: look at Sheamus and other really big guys. It can even add to the drama of the match, especially since almost all wrestling matches are slow towards the end anyway.
-Unable to perform finisher consistently: and then citing two ppl. Congrats. He's fine. Its a Samoan drop. It'll be okay.
-Unable to cut below-avg promo: I would say his promos are above-average even though they suck. Only a dozen or so guys can cut promos, in case you haven't noticed. And, as I said before, he's improving on the mic, and he's already popular (they chant his catchphrase when his rivals are on the ring; I think that's the gold standard of popularity).
-Arrogant in real interviews: I disagree, having seen interviews, and don't give a shit either way.
-Lacks any charisma or ability to connect with the crowd with his chant: Umm... how do you connect more with the crowd than with them repeating your chant (and even initiating it when your rivals are in the ring). Are the fans supposed to be jerking off as they do it? Are they not laughing and smiling enough? Seriously, what does this mean. You're reaching for straws here.
-Clearly a steroid user: True, can't argue with that, but don't act like that's why you started this thread. Take a look at The Rock. Saying someone is a steroid user is also synonymous with "G-d damn, look at his body," which is generally a good thing. Unless you're reaching for reasons to hate the guy.

Like I said, he needs to seriously work on his promos. He should only be a midcarder right now, and, oh, that's right, he is just a midcarder right now. He had 3 months of a main event rivalry, where they never intended to put the belt on him, and now he's feuding with Shield. I'm pretty happy they turned what was a bunch of boring squash matches (though I still liked Ryback) into a legit feud with a bunch of new guys that makes all four of these new guys entertaining, and makes all of them play their character well. But, then again, I don't make it my life's goal to just shit on a guy for being successful.

They chant his catchphrase when his rivals are in the ring. If you don't think he's doing things right, you don't know entertainment.

#43 ·

This is hilarious. I honestly thought it was kids were the only ones digging the Ryback thing while adults were just going along with it for the sake of it. I'm honestly embarrassed to inhibit the same planet as some of you. I can understand not minding Ryback, but come on? You really want the dude to be a major part of the show you watch every week? let alone being the face of the company? Are you people who like Ryback the same people who made nickelback famous?

#48 ·

This is hilarious. I honestly thought it was kids were the only ones digging the Ryback thing while adults were just going along with it for the sake of it. I'm honestly embarrassed to inhibit the same planet as some of you. I can understand not minding Ryback, but come on? You really want the dude to be a major part of the show you watch every week? let alone being the face of the company? Are you people who like Ryback the same people who made nickelback famous?
Not everyone shares your opinion.

#46 ·

Ryan Reeves isn't a bad talent at all. The character is simplistic, which means the smarks are less likely to buy it due to being ahead of a certain curve, but he's played the role just fine. The OP doesn't hate the wrestler, he hates the character, but Reeves has played the character well, so the line gets blurred.

On an objective level, he's done everything well enough to avoid criticism apart from his botching of finishers. I read through the threads and I hear people attack his recent promos, but did he perform the promos badly? Was he not convincing? Did he stumble over his words? Did he struggle to find things to say? No. So why is he bad on the mic? Because he doesn't have the witty banter of Sandow...witty banter that was likely scripted for him? These are characters. Sandow is scripted as witty so thats how we see him. Everybody has a role to play. All we can ask of these guys is to play it right. I'm no Ryback fan but that's clearly what he has done. He deserves his spot, smart ass fans be damned.

#47 ·

I'm mixed on Ryback, the guy definitely freshened up the main event, but it definitely felt like his push was too fast. My big concern is, he almost killed Swagger and he injured Punk, and his matches aren't really that long, so what's the excuse? He's been in developmental for like 6 years.

His moveset just does not match up with him being a big man, and the whole thing with him not being able to shellshock Tensai looked very bad. Tensai may way a lot, but if the fact that the guy is a jobber which made it such a train wreck. If Goldberg wasn't able to Jackhammer the big show, I guarantee you it would've damaged the buzz he was getting big time.

#49 ·

I'm mixed on Ryback, the guy definitely freshened up the main event, but it definitely felt like his push was too fast. My big concern is, he almost killed Swagger and he injured Punk, and his matches aren't really that long, so what's the excuse? He's been in developmental for like 6 years.

His moveset just does not match up with him being a big man, and the whole thing with him not being able to shellshock Tensai looked very bad. Tensai may way a lot, but if the fact that the guy is a jobber which made it such a train wreck. If Goldberg wasn't able to Jackhammer the big show, I guarantee you it would've damaged the buzz he was getting big time.
Punk was already injured before he was power bombed through the table by Ryback. If you watched the match he had the week before he got power bombed by Ryback, you'll notice him favoring his knee during the match. The Swagger match was a mess, I agree. But it seemed like, to me at least, its was either Ryback deadlifting Swagger. Or Swagger was being an ass and didn't jump. The Tensai "botch" was obviously a sandbag. Sure, many people were calling foul on Ryback when it happened, and I understand how a person can come to that conclusion. But seeing as though he lifted Tensai with ease a mere few weeks later, I say it was a sandbag on Tensai's part.

#50 ·
Any one who defends Ryback is on some other shit. Can u really sit there and say that this guy entertains u? He doesn't, he does the same shit in his matches, cuts meaningless promos (not to mention awkward) then chants feed me more. I don't get how this guy is fun to watch?

Sent from Verticalsports.com Free App

#52 ·

Any one who defends Ryback is on some other shit. Can u really sit there and say that this guy entertains u? He doesn't, he does the same shit in his matches, cuts meaningless promos (not to mention awkward) then chants feed me more. I don't get how this guy is fun to watch?

Sent from Verticalsports.com Free App
Yes.

#51 · (Edited)

Im not going to be quick an critical on him because he is still VERY early in his WWE career, When did we become SO nitpicky as fans that we just instantly bury someone because we dont like EVERYTHING about them within the first couple years. Calm Down 95 was like 2010 and now we are building the roster, im not even really a ryback fan but im willing to give a guy a shot in this business and see where it goes! if you hate him that much when he comes on by all means boo the fuck outta him but relax its wrestling, you cheer when its good, and you laugh at them on botchamania or with friends when its fuckin bad lol

If the guys in the back decide that he isnt over and hes a bad wrestler then they will cut him, they have the best analysts of talent in this business back there thats why WWE is the big leagues. :vince2

#61 ·

The guy is pretty over it seems, and I don't have too much problem with him. He has a nice build that fits the character, and his offense can look vicious at times (I love the meathook clothesline). I think he could tone down the "feed me more" chants though.

#64 ·

All that hate towards Ryback , its actually sad .We get something new and refreshing and everyone ends up hating it, some people just cant be happy.

#73 ·

All that hate towards Ryback , its actually sad .We get something new and refreshing and everyone ends up hating it, some people just cant be happy.
Fail.

Actually, if you'd read the thread, you'd see the complete opposite is want I said.

#65 ·

Also, how do you make him a top star going forward? You can't rely on him to do promos because no one really wants to hear him talk. So you just make him seem unstoppable? For good? at the expense of everyone else? Muscular guy who has insatiable hunger just makes every other star pale in comparison due to said hunger? Even though we've seen bigger, stronger, more muscular, and more intimidating wrestlers now and in the past?

#68 ·

Also, how do you make him a top star going forward? You can't rely on him to do promos because no one really wants to hear him talk. So you just make him seem unstoppable? For good? at the expense of everyone else? Muscular guy who has insatiable hunger just makes every other star pale in comparison due to said hunger? Even though we've seen bigger, stronger, more muscular, and more intimidating wrestlers now and in the past?
Simple, have him begin to talk more. He's not a very bad talker, it's just that his character now doesn't require him to speak much. He's more or a "action's speak louder than words" type of superstar. Sure, it he win's the WWE Championship, he will have to cut longer promo's, but I don't think that'll be a problem.

Well, like I said in the other post, he's unstoppable anymore. He's 0-3 in his last three pay per view matches, so you know he can be beat. Sure, there were shenanigans, but he still lost. He's not like Goldberg where they had him win every match than he won the World Title. Ryback has already lost, so he's not a unstoppable monster anymore as far as PPV's matches go.

#72 ·

Ryback unable to cut a promo as hes so gassed from a 5 minute match. Those steroids hes on are the cause. Vince needs to wake up and realise Ryback isnt gonna be the big guy star of the company

#86 ·

Ryback unable to cut a promo as hes so gassed from a 5 minute match. Those steroids hes on are the cause. Vince needs to wake up and realise Ryback isnt gonna be the big guy star of the company
You mean a character that's only been in the WWE under a year and is already getting some of the biggest pops and loudest chants? You think Vince should just abandon that? Not saying he's going to be the next huge superstar and carry WWE, but he's off to a good start and there's no indication so far that he won't be a big star.

#77 ·

I like how he has started to even do the Goldberg facial expressions now. It's like he said, "fuck it..." and is now just going with the program.

#78 ·

I want to see him in the ring with Regal.... Lets see if he can actually wrestle.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.