Wrestling Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Why did Hogan job to The Rock, but not Austin?

41K views 172 replies 89 participants last post by  Clique 
#1 ·
It should've been the biggest finale to the biggest era. My understanding is that neither would do the job. But Hogan accepts doing it against The Rock, a smaller star. When I watched that PPV, it felt wrong from the minute Austin faced Hall earlier on the card. The only thing that would've compared would've been Austin/Goldberg.

#5 ·
Probably a similar reason to why Austin refused to job to Brock Lesnar. Or maybe Hogan just didn't respect Austin enough to do the job.

#7 ·
It was probably about the Hulkster and Austin not being a fan of one another. I doubt Hogan would have been in any position to tell Vince whether he wants to do the job or not. The Rock wanted to wrestle Hogan whether he lost or won the match because he idolized Hogan as a kid growing up. I guess Austin just didn't really care to wrestle against Hogan as much as The Rock did.

It would have been great to see Stone Cold vs Hulk Hogan but at least we got to see The Rock vs Hogan which will go down as one of the most biggest WrestleMania matches of all time when you take crowd atmosphere and the build-up into account.

#9 ·
Everything I have read suggests Hogan was willing to job to Austin. But Steve hadn't forgotten how he was treated in WCW once Hulk and his clique arrived.

Terry Bollea put himself over despite losing. How? By going in as cool heel in the post-attitude era meant he could get more support than the babyface. Furthermore, he turned face at the end of the match.

Steve probably didn't want a part in his politics.

#11 ·
this.

I would assume that Hogan said that he would only do the match if he went over, and Austin refused because Hogan told Vince that he refused to lose to Austin. (wow I hope that made sense)

I'm not sure if the Rock agreed or not, but I guess since Austin was 100% out of the question, it was either Rock or nothing.

#12 ·
I was just talking to a friend about this the other day, he said Austin was never asked to face Hogan at Wrestlemania X8 and that it was always suppose to be Rock against Hulk. He said that its just a rumor spread by Austin fans, he even gave me like five links to interviews Austin did were he said he was only offered matches with Hulk once he retired then turned them all down.

I guess at the time Rocky had Scorpion King coming out just one moth after Mania and Vince used Rocky to do a lot of cross promotion for Mania and that movie. By 2002 Rock was a massive mainstream powerhouse and had already been top man of WWF for over 2 years at that point. Hulk has said many times he wanted a match with Austin and that he didnt care who won but Austin always turned it down, dont you guys remember in 2005 when Hulk even called him out on Raw?

#13 ·
I'm not buying the whole "Hogan was jealous of Austin" thing. If he was so jealous of Austin, why did he decide to work a match with The Rock, who was the biggest star along with Austin in the Attitude Era? Like I said, it could be that Austin and Hogan had no interest in working with one another. It all worked out for the best since we got to see Rock vs Hogan.

#14 ·
I heard in an interview Hogan did with Hot 97 that there was heat between him and Hogan over "business" but Hogan never went into detail. Only thing I can possibly attribute to that is the way Austin was let go in WCW and he held a grudge ever since.

I still think things worked out for the best with Rock/Hogan, as Austin's head seemed to be in another place around that time and likely because he wasn't asked to work with Hogan (if it's true Rock was first choice).

#16 ·
Steve was pissed bc not only was he not asked to face Hulk but he was suppose to drop the undisputed title to Hunter at Mania x8 as a heel but refused. I will never understand why Steve would opt for a midcard feud over a major storyline just bc he didnt want to lose. I even heard a couple of Nash shoots were he said Nash was suppose to go over but Steve got the finish changed the day of for him to win and basically bury both of them.

Ive always found this notion that Steve resented Hulk for "burying" him in WCW odd bc Hulk joined WCW July 94 while Steve got fired from WCW early 95, that means they spent less than 1 year together in the same company so how on gods earth could Hulk bury him? What about the other 5 or so years Steve was in WCW when Hulk wasnt there, i think this is just peeps making stuff up to bury Hulkster

#17 ·
Austin and Hogan have bad blood going back to Austin's time in WCW, there was no way Austin was going to want to lose that match and Hogan probably preferred jobbing to Rock because it was clear Rock was the THE STAR at the time the match between him and Hogan happened.

#23 ·
It is threads like this that starts rumors for nothing when it comes to bad talking Hogan.
Hogan got all the blame blah blah blah

I've seen an interview with Hogan, where he publicly asked who was going to do the job between them if the match ever took place. Hogan clearly stated he had no problem and doing the job. As far as being jealous, of Steve having problem doing the job. Just look at his 2002 run, he basically put over the whole main roster.
I think this interview was from 2003. Hogan also clearly stated he had strong interest in working with Steve. and as Jim Ross and many confirm about Hogan, it that he is firstand foremost a fan of the business, so I cant see how he does not want this match to happen if it is done correctly, (like the Rock Hogan match etc).

But Steve on the other hand is a stubborn (As he often claims himslef) and insecure (as many have confimred like Russo etc) somehow was still pissed beacuse Hogan didnt want to do an angle with him in WCW and felt Hogan might pull something.

Back in 2002-2005 I was strongly hoping for a Austin-Hogan match to happen and followed internet very closely. Despite Hogans background, Steve has his too, and for this match not to happen I totaly blame Asutin.

Reactions: BOOTS 2 ASSES
#26 ·
Austin faced scott hall, which was eventually one of his last matches and without a doubt Hall´s last good match. If you consider that 7 minutes good however. I do.

#27 ·
My bet is that Hogan knew Austin didn't like him and didn't care for him at all and that's why he didn't want to lose to him. Whereas Rock, being the nice humble guy he's generally known for being, probably lavished Hogan with the respect he felt he deserved and therefore Hogan probably said he'd put over Rock to annoy Austin more than anything.

For what it's worth I don't think Austin vs Hogan would have went over anywhere near as well as Rock vs Hogan did. I don't think an old man Hogan getting any real offence in on a guy like Austin is believable in any way, shape or form tbh.

Hogan and Rock's styles as a wrestling match worked better. Plus at that point, it was clear Austin was on his downturn whilst Rock was the biggest thing in the company and, for all we knew, there for a long time to come so it really made more sense to have Hogan lose to Rock.

#28 ·
You must not put any blame onto the IWC messiah, Steve Austin, for he cannot be bad and only good. He heals the sick and cures the blind.

I honestly think that Austin knew he would get booed out of the building against Hogan, which is why it never happened. Plus, both guys have pretty big ego's so that might have had something to do with it. But Hogan was willing to put over Rock, but not Austin? Ye, I'm not buying that.

#41 ·
I don't think Hacksaw was booked to squash Austin. Hacksaw was supposed to beat him and win the title. According to Hacksaw, like a minute into the match Austin told Hacksaw that he was injured and they had to go home and end the match immediately, so Hacksaw pinned him.....and that's why it was a "squash".

Not sure Hacksaw would have any reason to make that up, so it sounds believable.

#33 ·
Never heard that story with Hogan screwing Austin out of the US title to a short job against Hacksaw Duggan. That seems like pure fabrication to me.

But as Bischoff said in his book, Hogan and Bischoff shot down an Idea that Austin, invovling Austin being a relative of Hogan or something corny as that. This was in 1994 or early 1995, Hogan did not like, and to be honest, Hogan was the biggest thing to hit WCW at the time, possible ever which is debatable, but Austin at the time, despite being possible the best worker in the company, was still a mid-card wrestler. Hogan was not supposed to get in to feud with mid carders, he was brought in to feud with the major wrestlers in the company at the time like
Flair, Vader and Sting.
I totally understand why he shot that angle down with Austin, and Austin would be stubborn foolish sob if he was still bitter about it, since he did the exact same thing to Jeff Jarrett in WWF when Austin was at his peak.

But then again I understand why Hogan shot that angle down, but heck I still would have prefered that to Dungeon Of Doom any day of the week

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.