Wrestling Forum banner

Billy & Chuck

4K views 15 replies 12 participants last post by  COPkilla 
#1 ·
What did you guys think of their tag team in early 2000?

I may be one of the few, but I actually really loved these guys as a tag team. At the time, I was younger so I'm not sure I totally understood the whole gay thing.... but regardless looking back I just think they were an awesome unique tag team.

What do you guys think?

See less See more
#2 ·
They were a good tag team, i liked them and Rico was pretty damn funny too

#5 ·
I enjoyed it, but it really was offensive and shouldn't be tolerated. Its right up there with Eugene Dinsmore's mentally challenged gimmick as something really offensive WWE shouldn't have done. WWE does a lot of things that are "offensive" but really just harmless, but gays and the mentally challenged are actually made fun of everyday in hurtful ways, particularly by children (and adults with the maturity of children who insult ppl/things as "gay" or "***" in these forums). WWE, by showing those gimmmicks, ACTUALLY increased the chance of middle schoolers the next day saying offensive and hurtful things. So, yeah, it was just offensive.

And I know both Eugene and Billy & Chuck were good guys, but that doesn't change the fact that it was silly shock value about controversial kinds of ppl. If there was a gimmick and there was just an irrelevant detail as to their being gay, it would be one thing. But to make their entire gimmick homosexuality? Even if they're good guys that's still objectifying gays and asking the audience to see them as "the gay wrestlers," rather than wrestlers who happen to be gay. Acting like homosexuality dominates every action and mannerism of a gay person is inherently offensive.

#6 ·
I mean to say early 2000's** lol

What was up with the wedding being pulled anyways? I read on their wiki that the wedding was actually supposed to happen, and WWE was actually apparently working with gay alliances on the story line to make it appeal to people.

I'm glad to see a few of you enjoyed it, I'm sure some people will get all homophobic but I thought it was great stuff.

Billy Gunn even said in an interview that he would have taken that story line however far they wanted to take it, which is also cool I think. I think ironically there was certainly a chemistry between Billy and Chuck.

And how's this for a match ahaha

BROCK LESNAR jobbing too BILLY AND CHUCK!

#12 ·
To me, they were a poor man's version of what Lenny & Lodi from WCW could have been.

And this is something I will NEVER understand. GLAAD and all the other Gay Rights Groups HATED Lenny & Lodi and felt it was offensive. I thought they were hilarious and believably gay. But because they stepped in, they had to alter Lenny & Lodi and pretty much kill the gay gimmick.

Then Billy & Chuck show up and, to me, they were like Black Face except for Blacks, it was for Homosexuals (for lack of a better form of verbal expression. Seriously, I had nothing else). They were more along the lines of bad stereotyping in my eyes and just used for bad jokes. You know? Typical WWE humor where they make sex noises behind a door and people go wide eyed and are like "Huh?!". And yet SOMEHOW, that was OK for GLAAD and everybody else, and they even praised WWE for planning the Gay Wedding, even though it was plain as day that it was a joke and a desperate plea for attention. And they even chickened out at the end and didn't go through with it.

Basically, I would love to know what Lenny & Lodi did that was so offensive and what Billy & Chuck did right to make the Gay Support Groups happy.

#13 ·
I liked them. What exactly was so stereotypical about them? To me it didn't come across that they were explicitly gay but more like they were 2 self-obsessed pretty boys who were so into themselves it came across as gay...until they did the whole wedding thing. I thought it was very well done actually and they allowed them to retain their 'toughness' that they had before the gimmick.

#14 ·
They represented the era where WWF's tag teams died for me. 96-2001 you had the Owen and Bulldog, the Outlaws, the Hardys, the Dudleys, E and C, APA and all these cool teams. Then by 2002 Billy and Chuck and 3 minute Warning and all these dull teams arrived on the sense sucking up airtime. Aside from that wedding angle (which was awesome) and Hogan and Edge beating them, I wasnt a fan.

#15 ·
These guys are glorified actors, how is it any different than somebody playing the role of a gay man in a film? The point of the group wasn't to mock people. And Billy and Chuck idn't nix the marriage, the WWE did itself. Story lines change, it was what the WWE felt best.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.