Wrestling Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Official DVD/Match/Show Discussion Thread

2M views 21K replies 512 participants last post by  Starbuck 
#1 ·
#14,804 ·
I believe you mentioned earlier in this thread that you missed quite a bit of RAW/Smackdown from 05 to 06? Well Carlito was pretty good back then imo, you missed his best stuff, and if you're just judging him from his work from later years then I could understand why you would think he was bad.

Edit found the post:
For some reason I've actually seen everything Carlito pumped out from 2005 on RAW. I don't know how, but I have. Not on the early 2006 stuff other than a few matches here and there. I assure you, I'm not a fan. In fact I like to think of myself as one of the biggest who really, really disliked him and his work. His bad attitude was laughable. Only his fault he got buried by Trips on PPV. Was waiting for the day he'd get his release, haha.

Oh, and without a doubt 2000 is the best year in the history of the WWF/WWE. The year was so strong even Sunday Night Heat was a red-hot program.

#14,805 ·
Well to me (and to most people who watched it) it pretty much represented what the Smackdown Six were all about. SD in 2002 was must-see TV, with constant amazing matches always popping out out of the SD Six - some who stick out the better are the vastly underrated Triple Threat with Rey, Angle and Benoit, as well as the No Mercy 2002 2 out of 3 Falls rematch - and the tag at NM was these guys at their very best. Insane fast paced tag action right here, baby.

The Powertrip vs Benoit/Jericho match is my 2nd favourite WWE tag match ever, though, followed by Austin & HBK vs Owen & Bulldog from Raw in 1998, Harts/Steiners Wrestlefest, and the Hart Foundation vs Brain Busters match from SummerSlam 1989.

#14,808 ·
Vengeance 2006:
Angle/Orton: ***
Umaga/Eugene: 1/4*
Flair/Foley: **1/2
Shelton/Morrison/Carlito: ***3/4
RVD/Edge: ****
Kane/Fake Kane: 1/2*
Cena/Sabu: ***1/2
DX/Spirit Squad: ***

Pretty good show. Most of Raw PPV's in 2006 were good, and this was no exception. RVD/Edge is awesome, and the Triple Threat is yet another 06 PPV gem. Nothing absolutely horrendous in this show - hell Umaga/Eugene was fun for what it was. And Kane/Fake Kane was poor but they still deserve a bit for actually putting an effort.

1 - TIE: Unforgiven
1 - TIE: No Way Out
3 - One Night Stand
4 - WM 22
5 - No Mercy
6 - Armageddon
7 - Vengeance
8 - Judgment Day
9 - Backlash
10 - New Year's Revolution
11 - SummerSlam
12 - Survivor Series
13 - Royal Rumble

3 PPV's left. The Great American Bash, Cyber Sunday and DECEMBAH TO DISMEMBAH. A night of Wrestlecrap then :cool:

#14,809 · (Edited)
For some reason I've actually seen everything Carlito pumped out from 2005 on RAW. I don't know how, but I have. Not on the early 2006 stuff other than a few matches here and there. I assure you, I'm not a fan. In fact I like to think of myself as one of the biggest who really, really disliked him and his work. His bad attitude was laughable. Only his fault he got buried by Trips on PPV. Was waiting for the day he'd get his release, haha.

Oh, and without a doubt 2000 is the best year in the history of the WWF/WWE. The year was so strong even Sunday Night Heat was a red-hot program.
Yeah I've heard about his bad attitude and lazy work ethic. It was the reasoning behind promos like this:

So fair enough if they book him worse for it, his fault, but having him job to Hornswoggle? Bit too much imo. By the time he got released I just didn't care. Carlito's one of those guys who I only cared for a few years of his career, along with guys like MVP (MVP was pretty good from 07 to 08, after that I didn't care for him as much).

#14,811 ·
Yep, MVP is a great name to group with him. I actually was high on MVP during his first year within the company. After that I was done. Noticed how bad he was in the ring too, then he went face eventually? Yuck. Didn't work.

@Cal - I love the Regal/Jackson vs Christian/Kane southern style tag from ECW in 2010. I didn't forget. :eek:

#14,812 · (Edited)
This one Cal?

Yep, MVP is a great name to group with him. I actually was high on MVP during his first year within the company. After that I was done. Noticed how bad he was in the ring too, then he went face eventually? Yuck. Didn't work.
Agreed. Couldn't get to him as a face at all.

Also what to people think of a potential MVP return? There were rumors going around that he might return to the WWE.

If they bring back this MVP I might like it:

#14,813 ·
Well, that's nothing compared to how buried Carlito was at Unforgiven 07 :hhh

Because I'm almost done with my 2006 PPV project, need a lil bit of help: what do you think it's better? Unforgiven 06 or No Way Out 06?

#14,816 ·
Gettin a Finlay/Regal match on TGAB :mark:
Too bad they're both heels at the time, the crowd is bound to be dead :(

Cal, I don't see why you don't like the TLC Match, but I too love Taker/Angle and Rey/Orton, my consideration for NWO is growing every waking minute :cool:

#14,818 · (Edited)
I really liked Carlito when he debuted in 2004 against John Cena. And I liked him up until to 2006, he was at his absolute peak in the New Year's Revolution 2006 Chamber match, but after 2006, I started to not care for him as much, probably because they started booking him worse, but they also ruined his character too, and as a big character mark, I don't like it when they fuck up a character. He should of always stayed heel. By 2008/2009 I didn't care for him at all, didn't like his tag team with Primo, and his matches with Hornswoggle were just fpalm

Miss this Carlito though:

From a match quality standpoint though, I don't remember any great Carlito matches, but I don't remember any real bad ones. I thought he was a alright in-ring talent, but I was much more invested in his character (at least when it was good from 04 to 06) than his matches. For me it's always a good character > workrate.
Carlito was AWESOME on Smackdown. His feud with John Cena definitely put him on the map. I always thought he should have been kept on Smackdown which is where he shined. Even in his tag team run with Primo, he shined on Smackdown. On Raw, they never had a clue what to do with him. It's a shame too because he could have shined on Raw as well but was never given a chance to. When he turned heel again in 2007, I saw it has a perfect opportunity for him to get elevated into the WWE title picture. Boy did they pass up a great opportunity.

WWE dropped the ball on Carlito big time. He had loads of potential but was never utilized. :(

#14,820 ·
IMO they have great chemistry and they had a good spotfest :cool:

UF isn't all about the TLC Match though. I really enjoyed the HIAC match too, as well as Lita/Trish, Orton/Carlito and Jeff/Morrison (it has great psychology before you ask :p)

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.