Wrestling Forum : WWE, TNA, Debate League, Wrestling Videos, Women of Wrestling Forums - View Single Post - Official DVD/Match/Show Discussion Thread

View Single Post

Old 01-17-2013, 12:06 PM   #14552 (permalink)
jonoaries
Lacing SCOTT STEINER's boots

jonoaries jonoaries jonoaries jonoaries jonoaries jonoaries jonoaries jonoaries jonoaries jonoaries jonoaries
Default Re: Official DVD/Match/Show Discussion Thread

Empty Arena Match for the WWF Championship: The Rock (c) vs Mankind
★ ★ ★ ★ 1/2

I haven't seen this match in ages but came across my Mick Foley "Hard Knocks & Cheap Pops" DVD and decided to pop it in...very enjoyable set but this match in particular is what I wanted to see.

Man this joint is gold.

Vince doing commentary, Rock doing in-match commentary both were awesome. Its so interesting because you can hear everything they say clearly. To that point Vince goes on a tangent about what WWF is and I don't want to take away from the match but its an important thing to me he said: "your watching action adventure, that's what the WWF is- soap opera. Its Road Runner, elements on 'One Life To Live', its like Hollywood and Broadway and all points in between". Man that's an interesting description of your product. As for Rock's commentary ("you look like 10lbs of monkey crap in a 5lb bag", singing about Jack Daniels) is fuckin' hilarious. The talking alone is level entertainment.

The match was essentially a falls count anywhere contest with no crowd. Mankind took a pretty good beating and gave the Rock a lot of material to work with to get himself over. Mankind attacking a Rock with a giant bag of popcorn pretty much the highlight of his offense, but this match and other Mankind matches are about how much punishment he can take and continue to fight.

The finish was very creative, so was the camera work during the sequence. Of course looking back on it, it looks incredibly staged and that takes away from it a bit but I think it was the best way for Rock to lose and keep credibility. It was also a moment of Mankind outsmarting Rock instead of always being the one outsmarted.

Very entertaining match from a perspective of bringing together a lot of different elements such as comedy, the illusion of improvisation, intensity and good stuntwork (and selling) by Mankind.

Last edited by jonoaries : 01-17-2013 at 12:11 PM.