Wrestling Forum : WWE, TNA, Debate League, Wrestling Videos, Women of Wrestling Forums - View Single Post - Why did Hogan job to The Rock, but not Austin?

View Single Post

Old 01-15-2013, 01:32 AM   #108 (permalink)
promoter2003
Yelled at by SCOTT STEINER

promoter2003 501 - 1000promoter2003 501 - 1000promoter2003 501 - 1000promoter2003 501 - 1000promoter2003 501 - 1000promoter2003 501 - 1000promoter2003 501 - 1000
Default Re: Why did Hogan job to The Rock, but not Austin?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Zybyszko View Post
I like it. There is a donnybrook going on in here so I gotta jump in. I'll just offer my 2 cents worth on several points raised in this thread instead of trying to copy and paste a million quotes to reply to.

6) Payment for jobbing to The Rock - Yes, the Undisputed title run was part of the payment for Hogan to job to Rock clean, but also keep in mind that Hogan got paid in advance with a clean pin on Rock in a tag match prior to the WM match. Hogan also returned the favor to Triple H after he lost the title to the Undertaker.
I dispute that Hogan agreed to job to Rock in part to get the Undisputed title. The title was suppose to be HHH's ever since he went on the shelf. He was going to be turned babyface for SummerSlam 2001 and go against heel Austin as the original plan to the end of the 2 Man Power Trip angle. The biggest reason for the title change was that Jericho/HHH was seen as a flop and that Hogan got a better reaction to HHH. The nWo heat had dissipated as well and to get money's worth out of the nWo deal capitalizing on Hogan's newfound popularity was to get the belt on Hogan as soon as possible although I think it also burned him out too quick.

There was a reason why the title became a hot potato until it was settled on Brock Lesnar at SummerSlam. HHH flopped as a babyface and he was turned back babyface with his feud with HBK because of it. The Undisputed title was never going to be unified for long. Notice once HHH was re-established in his best role as heel he kept a world title with dominance although part of it was to also give the belt credibility.