Wrestling Forum : WWE, TNA, Debate League, Wrestling Videos, Women of Wrestling Forums - View Single Post - WWE's massive mistake in 2006

View Single Post

Old 01-14-2013, 05:09 PM   #62 (permalink)
RAWImpact
Learning to break kayfabe

RAWImpact 101 - 250RAWImpact 101 - 250
Default Re: WWE's massive mistake in 2006

I have always failed to understand why it upset people so much that Mysterio won the Rumble. I'm not going to be ignorant and say that Mysterio winning had nothing to do with Eddie's death, but I also have this to say about the situation: so what? One of the greatest wrestlers of all time passes away and WWE lets one of his best friends win the Rumble in his honor and wrestling fans are complaining about that? Compared to some of the other things they did after Eddie's death, I'd say having Mysterio win the Rumble was quite tasteful.

Besides, people act like Mysterio was some sort of jobber at the time. He has always been one of the top guys in the company because of his fanfare and merchandise sales and 2006 was no different. And I truly believe that if Mysterio hadn't won the World Heavyweight Championship at WrestleMania 22, he would have won it some time after that. Probably sooner rather than later. WWE probably just moved his title victory up to pay tribute to Eddie.

Another problem I have with this argument is that nobody ever seems to take issue with a similar situation that happened recently with Christian. Now, don't get me wrong, I am a huge fan of Christian and I was very happy to see him finally win the World Heavyweight Championship. However, while the situation wasn't exactly the same since Edge didn't pass away, it is in the same realm. Christian was pushed to the World Heavyweight Championship because of Edge's retirement. You could say his title reign was solely a tribute to Edge. A "thank you" from WWE. But nobody complains about that one.

Get over it already. Tribute to Guerrero or not, Mysterio deserved and merited than Rumble win.

Last edited by RAWImpact : 01-14-2013 at 05:12 PM.
RAWImpact is offline   Reply With Quote