Wrestling Forum banner

I'm sold on Del Rio as a face

9K views 84 replies 69 participants last post by  Bo Wyatt 
#1 ·
Like really, everything from his nuances and mannerisms, to the way he executes his moves and down to his facial expressions.

Everything to me screams that he is going to be an awesome face character, and they need to keep him as a badass to keep that momentum going. He really was never meant to be heel in the first place now in hindsight, he looked so uncomfortable, but now he looks like he's doing what he's comfortable with.

#54 ·
Finally they get it right. ADR is a natural face, and should stay like that for a very long while. He did the face comeback against all odds better than Cena ever done. Why they didnt debut him like this from the beginning is beyond me.
His gimmick when he debuted was actually really good IMO. The problem was that WWE didn't know how to really take his rich legacy gimmick to the next level. They literally thought that him having nice expensive luxury cars is enough for his character but he needed more.

#75 ·
I did not like Alberto Del Rio at all during the entirety of his heel run. While he was always serviceable in the ring, his character had no substance to it whatsoever. He had a ring announcer and a fancy car and that was it.

As a face he actually evokes QUALITIES of a...*shock* personality! Family is important to him. He appreciates and reciprocates loyalty. This is a huge revolution for his character, from a gimmick on a piece of paper to a believable human being we can empathize with. It's a great start, and I hope they continue to flesh out his character as time goes on. They certainly weren't doing anything of the sort during his 2+ year run as a heel, which made it impossible for anyone to care about him one way or the other.

#43 ·
The imagery of Ricardo Rodriguez and ADR celebrating at the end of Smackdown was epic. I knew the post-match was going to be great just from the photo WWE put out after the taping. I think as long as you play up their friendship, and yes, let Ricardo wrestle (forget about Sin Cara, you got a star right under your nose, WWE), this has a shot at working.

#57 ·
The thing is when you see Del Rio talking in interviews he just screams mister nice guy... He has so much flair , ladies gonna dig him and the guys gonna dig him cause he's just badass in the ring. I didn't like his heel turn. But i'm giving him a shot as a face and wait a little until i make my judgement on him.

Ricardo is a huge asset for him. Looking forward to it and yeah they are prolly setting it up for Ziggler sine it's WM season and Cena is going to feud with Rockyboy. And since Ziggler is a heel and has Mitb briefcase he needs to cash in on a face. Promotion-wise it was a good move from the creative to turn him face... Sin Cara can't wrestle for shit even when his life depends on it. And Mysterio needs more time of than he wrestles. So yeah , he's the logical choice to turn.

#68 · (Edited)
My first post on the forum, so hi guys. I was swayed to sign up, really, by some of the abuse Del Rio was getting and I want to defend him a little and show my own opinion a little.

I am hispanic... and I've liked Alberto Del Rio even since his days in CMLL as Dos Caras, I was excited to see him and Mistico come to WWE. It was unsurprising WWE chose to package Del Rio as a heel as I believe I read an interview with him which stated he wanted to give it a shot and towards the end of his run with CMLL he worked as a rudo. I found his new choice of gimmick strange but loved the character since he debuted, I was disappointed with the way WWE treated him though, I felt they pushed him way too quickly and - a lot like Sheamus - he was shoved down our throats, I do not feel he really did enough to become a hated heel and as such the crowd were often quiet during his matches.

His face build up and this title win have been fantastic, in my opinion. I am surprised anybody is saying that the crowd are not behind him, the reaction the past few weeks (albeit I've only watched on TV although you can still visibly see the reaction) has been amazing and the title win actually felt like it meant something. Perhaps he is a transitional champion but that title win was one of the most memorable moments in recent history, I was genuinely shocked when he won it though I felt it was a little unfair on Big Show (I thought his recent run was actually working quite well). The fact it was on a regular Smackdown amplified the victory somewhat but only because I was totally thrown by the result of the match - I thankfully did not have the result spoilt for me by WWE beforehand, which probably helped.

As for people saying it was stupid that after 3 attempts Sheamus could not win and Del Rio did it first time, well, remember that it was not technically a clean victory. Rodríguez lowered Del Rio's foot to stop the 10 count after the knock out punch.

Rodríguez is a genius, inside and out of the ring. The whole being bullied and defended by Del Rio gimmick is really working, though it cannot last forever so it will be interesting to see how this plays out. I feel they could really have something (even after Del Rio inevitably and probably abruptly loses the title) with Del Rio training his ring announcer to become a wrestler himself.

I think Del Rio, overall, is a great performer and athlete who does not lack charisma at all and his reaction after that title win actually restored some integrity and emotion to the belt which has really been lacking. I just pray they do not take his character the Cena/Sheamus route of being a stale, jokey face. He needs to incorporate some heel elements still and come off as a "badass" while pandering to the crowd (with Rodríguez, I guess, being the catalyst).

#29 ·
One of the most overpushed of all time. I hate seeing people get pushed because the "If we push him fans will like him" logic within creative takes over. Fucking dopes.

I hope Ziggler gets the belt off of him at Wrestlemania. I bet he'll get cheered tremendously if he takes it off Delol Rio

#3 ·
Re: I'm sold on Face Del Rio

Del Rio as a good guy seems like great decision.

If you see all the things he does outside of WWETV stuff, you'll see how him as a good guy was great choice. He's one of(if not the only one) the people who volunteers to do be a star rallys. And this was all throughout the time when he was a bad guy. So now that he's a good guy, it could work for him alot.

#7 ·

I agree. Him and Ricardo could be a top face team for a while. It's amazing what a change in character can do to a boring gimmick JOHNCENARANDYORTONBRODUSCLAYJACKSWAGGER

#13 ·

Course he doesnt suck, he was Dos Caras Jr. the top babyface for bout as long as Cena without the mixed reactions.

#14 ·
It's so damn weird after all that time as a heel nobody gave a fuck about him, he couldn't get a reaction for shit and now? Fucking Bizarro world lol. Even I, an advid ADR hater, am liking him. I just hope to hell they don't fuck up his character and have him hugging Orton, Cena and Sheamus and telling idiotic jokes.

#20 ·
I know right, it's strange. Like 2 months ago I couldn't stand him, he was one of my least favourite wrestlers. I legit hated him & wanted him off of my TV screen. Now, I'm actually enjoying him despite him still being overpushed, and I bet I'll even be marking for him soon enough.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.