Wrestling Forum banner

Rapper Azealia Banks under fire after calling Perez Hilton a "messy ******"

6K views 62 replies 51 participants last post by  Rick Sanchez 
#1 ·
So, this is the talk of Tinseltown. To sum it all up, Perez Hilton started an argument with Interscope rapper Azealia Banks on Twitter. Here are some of the tweets.

The rapper Azealia Banks’ social media meltdown last week — culminating in her calling the gay blogger Perez Hilton a “messy ******” — continues to suffer fallout. This morning brings rumors that Interscope Records has dropped the rapper.

Banks has not apologized for her remarks. Indeed, she’s amplified them, noting: “A ****** is not a homosexual male. A ****** is any male who acts like a female. There’s a BIG difference.” A GLAAD spokesman this morning indicated that she has also ignored attempts from the advocacy firm to make amends for the homophobic slur.

“In this case, it was not a slip of the tongue but a very deliberate statement that she has defended,” said Rich Ferraro, GLAAD’s vice-president of communications. “There’s certainly a trickle-down effect for young people when a celebrity they follow defends the use of words like this. It enables them to use words like that on the playground.”

There is a long history of homophobia in hip-hop: Even as gay-friendly a rapper as the candy-colored Nicki Minaj felt the need to release a track with Eminem in which he bashes her gay audience by dropping the other F-bomb. And practically no utterance between two men in hip-hop can go without a statement like “No ****” or “pause,” indicating that the musician isn’t, well, a ***. Banks, as well as R&B singer Frank Ocean (who’s affiliated with the at times virulently antigay crew Odd Future), seemed to be ending the old hegemony; Banks is an open bisexual, while Ocean admitted this past summer to having been in love with a man, though he does not define himself. Though many queer people use homophobic slurs to one another, this is more in keeping with hip-hop tradition than the subversive privilege of mutually oppressed people.

“The end goal has to not be about Azealia Banks but about the young people who follow her,” said Ferraro, noting that the organization was no longer attempting to be a “watchdog” condemning behavior but rather engaging with celebrities on the social Web. The group’s tweets at Banks (one example is here) invited her to engage in a dialogue with bullied gay teens. (Not all of GLAAD’s campaigns of tweets at celebrities have resonated as well — the group’s strange misunderstanding with reality-show judge Blake Shelton presumed his rewriting of a Shania Twain song was meant to be sung by a gay-bashing man, rather than Twain herself.) Banks didn’t write back, said Ferraro, nor did her manager respond to GLAAD’s request. Rather than continuing to attempt contact, the group has been working over the weekend to put together responses from young people, including Banks’ fans, about their experience of hearing slurs. “We’ve heard from Azealia Banks about what this word means, and we’ve heard from GLAAD about what this word means,” said Ferraro.

The response to the Banks imbroglio on GLAAD’s website presumes Banks’ ignorance of the term’s history and how it offends; it’s fairly similar to the treatment of former “Grey’s Anatomy” star Isaiah Washington, who called a castmate a “******” on-set and using the term again at the Golden Globes. He ended up shooting a PSA for GLAAD, but was fired from his hit show and left the public eye thereafter.
http://www.salon.com/2013/01/07/a_hip_hop_artists_career_unravels_for_talking_trash/

See less See more
#31 ·
I don't even know who she is. I do think of ******* as the fluttering fairy, rainbow shitting, pony riding sissies that make regular gay people look bad. I've nothing against gay people, it's just the overbearing flamboyant ones that get on my nerves. It's like, yeah, I know you're gay, you don't have to mention every second that you want big floppy dicks pounding you.

#48 ·
Ok a few things.

1) They are acting like Azealia isn't in the LGBT community. This just in, she's bisexual. That's the B part. She knew exactly what she was doing.

2) People are defending Perez Hilton, of all people? What AB said was tactless (but unsurprising from her), but who she aimed it at? I don't mind it at all. He deserves a ton of insults, but yeah, different word choice could have helped.

3) I don't even mind people taking AB to task over this. Yeah, you have the freedom to say whatever you want. People also have the freedom to criticize you for it, and get others to do the same. With potential side effects.

My only issue is that this isn't a moment homophobia because it's between two non-hetero people. Though it is perpetuating things that the non-hetero community is trying to remove. The other, that people are defending Perez. He doesn't deserve defense here.

#53 ·
The funny thing is the traditional word "******" is "a bundle of sticks". I like who a group of sore ass people "pun not inteded" take a random word and brain wash people into thinking it's offensive.

I'm actually cool with with gay people. I don't mind them at all. It's the ones who shove down our throats (no meaning meant) that they're gay and want and deserve certain things because of it.

Who cares about this twitter argument...seriously...it's nothing important.

#59 ·
Are you saying Perez Hilton isn't one of the overly-flamboyant gay people that give the rest a bad name? I mean, I find them sort of funny, but they're still overbearing and annoying. Perez Hilton is a jackass, it's a wonder how anyone could like him.

Although, I do think some people here just don't like GLAAD becuase of their disputes with the WWE. Just saying.

Also, she did sort of contradict herself. She can't go from talking about his anus being really wide (which was obviously a gay insult...Which is weird, because she's bisexual) to saying ****** wasn't meant to offend gays, it's just a man that acts like a female.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.