Wrestling Forum : WWE, TNA, Debate League, Wrestling Videos, Women of Wrestling Forums - View Single Post - If you were in Vince's shoes, how would you have avoided the Montreal screwjob?
View Single Post
post #83 of (permalink) Old 01-09-2013, 02:17 AM
MANTI TEO
Yelled at by SCOTT STEINER

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Re: If you were in Vince's shoes, how would you have avoided the montreal screwjob?

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrilla View Post
Exactly. Besides knowing what we know now, why would he want to? The screwjob led to Vince's heel turn which fostered Austin/McMahon one of the greatest feuds of all time and led to WWE overtaking WCW.

I guess he could've had Bret just drop the title to Austin, but that would've fucked up Austin/Tyson leading up to WM14 another huge factor in WWE returning to the top. Who else was an option? Undertaker I guess. I know Bret said he'd drop the title to Shamrock, but Shamrock wasn't ready at the time.

The only other option would be dropping it to another wrestler. Austin was also injured at the time and barely working so I don't think that would've really worked. Undertaker is the only viable candidate I can come up with and having him drop to HBK at the Rumble or the December PPV, but I'm pretty sure it would've been a bad idea to cancel the advertised HBK/Bret rematch 18 months in the making and piss off your fans by not giving them the match they paid for. Which could've done damage to the company on it's own. While screwing Bret did exactly the opposite.
I would have switched HBK with Shamrock and then have Shamrock put Hart in a real MMA hold and tap out or quit. Vince could of rolled into the ring with a microphone and put it to Bret's mouth while he said the words he quit.

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome