Wrestling Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Official DVD/Match/Show Discussion Thread

2M views 21K replies 512 participants last post by  Starbuck 
#1 ·
#13,441 ·
It's on Dailymotion. I won't watch it till I finish my Punk vs Cena series stuff :lmao

(tbhayley I've been FAR too busy/out of the house to do it this week...:eek:)

EDIT ~ Cena vs Dolph went WAY too long. It was solid at best. Sheamus vs Show was nothing special except for the comical gigantic chair. I legit liked their Lumberjack match from the Christmas Eve RAW more.

#13,442 ·
Finally about to watch Punk/Cena NOC now. 4 months later lol.
Can't see you disliking it. Its a really great take and evolution of the MITB encounter with Punk being in the reverse position from a year ago as the champion trying to overcome Cena. There's a bit of contention with the finishing stretch, but personally I thought they timed and paced the nearfalls very well with only one exception. Not as good as MITB, but the usual Punk/Cena chemistry shines again.

I'd have Lesnar/Cena, Punk/Bryan, Sheamus/Show & Bryan/Sheamus definitely ahead of it. I'd also probably have Ambrose/Regal II from personal preference, but any other match would require serious consideration. Basically its great stuff.

#13,444 · (Edited)
One star for Layla/Eve?

What the flretruck?

I have it at 3 stars match. Cause it's not a bad match. It's a pretty standard match. How can you call a match that had Eve working and playing her character to perfection in the match and great storytelling a bad match?

Cena/Punk I have at 4 stars. I forgot how HUGE the build was to that match.

As for the Evolution tags, the one against HBK/Benjamin/Foley/Benoit kick's ass!

#13,445 ·
I'd say Benoit's tag destroys the crap Orton/HHH match. I'm pretty big on the tag, tbhayley.
I was just disappointed with how Benoit was treated after his title reign and feel he was above being in a throwaway match like that. It was decent but I really enjoyed Orton/HHH save for Orton losing.

That the tag w/Regal vs Batista & Flair? If so I watched it last year and came out of it a really big fan. Really simple and well structured match with everyone putting in a good shift. Flair was great as the old man eating a beating and Batista was being booked very well as the enforcer/muscle on the way to stardom.

The Evolution vs Benoit/Jericho/Benjamin/Tajiri/Edge combination tags over RAW 2004 are all really special. Personal favourite has to be the 6 man elimination tag the night after Bad Blood 2004, with Benoit/Edge/Jericho vs Batista/Flair/Orton. Wonderful match with some great build to Orton/Benoit and especially how Benoit manages to escape the RKO which is built up as a match ender through the eliminations of Jericho & Edge.
Don't forget Evolution vs Benoit/Foley/Shelton/HBK after WM20. Was also great.

This makes me wanna rewatch the entire Raw that year since there were so many awesome TV stuff.

#13,447 ·
Eve v Layla from NoC (Y)

whats everyone think of the following matches?

Benoit vs Jericho Ladder-Royal Rumble 2001
Angle vs HBK-Vengeance 2005
Rey vs Psicosis-Bash At Beach 1996
Edge vs Taker-Summerslam 2008 cell
Benoit/Jericho is the best ladder match in company history and a classic. Thought Edge/Taker HiaC was great but would have to watch it again to see if it holds up.

#13,448 · (Edited)
I ended up watching that 6 man TLC match like 6 or 7 times in the week that I had the PPV, I enjoyed it as much as I did on the 1st watch as I did the last. Very few matches have that effect on you. My MOTY.

Anyone up for a best of from [Insert PPV name] that excludes the big four?

Randomly taking Vengeance;
- The Rock vs Kurt Angle vs Undertaker
- Batista vs Triple H
- Kurt Angle vs Brock Lesnar vs Big Show
- Chris Benoit vs Triple H
- The Rock vs Chris Jericho
- Randy Orton vs Edge
- Undertaker vs John Cena
- Eddie Guerrero vs Chris Benoit
- John Cena vs Christian vs Chris Jericho
- Shawn Michaels vs Kurt Angle
RVD vs Edge from Vengeance 2006 is a pretty decent match, not sure it's one of the best in Vengeance PPV history, but it's pretty good.

Finally about to watch Punk/Cena NOC now. 4 months later lol.
A very good match, as with most Punk/Cena encounters.

#13,449 ·

Have to relive the lucha match. More than certain I love it. Others:

Ladder - *****
Vengeance - ****1/4
HIAC - ****1/2

One star for Layla/Eve?

What the flretruck?

I have it at 3 stars match. Cause it's not a bad match. It's a pretty standard match. How can you call a match that had Eve working and playing her character to perfection in the match and great storytelling a bad match?
My guess is b/c the divas match was trash like how every other match involving them usually is.

#13,452 ·
They had a Lumberjack match on the New Years' Eve edition of Raw. Not seen it but people seemed to like it a bunch.

Agreed on Benoit/Jericho being the best singles ladder match of the decade, though Sheamus/Morrison isn't far behind for how creative and unique the match was. Rey/Psicosis is a really great match, watched it last year for the WCW poll and it made my list. They have great chemistry and Psicosis bumps like an absolute freak. Think I preferred Liger/Rey from Starrcade '96 more though. Liger comes prepared as an abusive bully and works a lot more violent which is definitely a step up from standard Juniors Liger. Tajiri/Psicosis from ECW 8/25/00 is also really tremendous as far as Psicosis singles matches in America go. More of a Tajiri showcase truth be told, but its damn good.

#13,453 ·

RR - ★★★★½
VEN - ★★★¾
BATB - N/A
SS - ★★★★

RVD vs Edge from Vengeance 2006 is a pretty decent match, not sure it's one of the best in Vengeance PPV history, but it's pretty good.
That's a very good match as is Randy Orton/Kurt Angle from that event. Definitely interchangeable with one or two of the lesser matches on my top 10.

#13,457 ·
Can't see you disliking it. Its a really great take and evolution of the MITB encounter with Punk being in the reverse position from a year ago as the champion trying to overcome Cena. There's a bit of contention with the finishing stretch, but personally I thought they timed and paced the nearfalls very well with only one exception. Not as good as MITB, but the usual Punk/Cena chemistry shines again.

I'd have Lesnar/Cena, Punk/Bryan, Sheamus/Show & Bryan/Sheamus definitely ahead of it. I'd also probably have Ambrose/Regal II from personal preference, but any other match would require serious consideration. Basically its great stuff.
John Cena vs. CM Punk(c) - Night of Champions 2012

Meh I'm not with you on this one at all lol. Everything was going great up until the finishing stretch. It actually reminded me of the HHH/Cena match from NOC 08 where Trips had a counter for most of Cena's moves and they were checkmating each other all the way through. Unlike that match however, the ending to this was contrived beyond belief and started to annoy me. It made me roll my eyes if I'm being honest. Finisher, kickout, finisher, kickout, finisher, kickout. That's literally what it was. Usually I don't mind that, if it fits with the story, but this felt contrived as hell to me this time. I knew they were going to kickout. What ever happened to finishers actually finishing matches, huh? All they did here was undermine their own moves. MITB had those intangibles surrounding it so the finisher kickouts truly felt like something special. These ones though, way too forced imo. Cena kicked out of 2 GTS and a Rock Bottom back to back and this is just a regular wrestling match. Then there was the random back suplex to end the match because Cena goes for that move all the time. There was some great stuff in there though and Punk's gear was pretty awesome. I loved a lot of the counters. That's one thing Punk/Cena excel at imo. Their counters to the others moves are always fun to watch.

I'd go **** for this. Like I said before, had the finishing stretch not been so retarded, this could have kicked into another gear. Unfortunately, it didn't. Not for me anyways.

#13,459 ·
I agree vis a vis the finish. There are better ways to end a match and whilst I liked them trying to be creative with the finish, it was executed pretty badly and after everything before it felt like a very tame way to end the match. I didn't mind the kickouts tbh. It wasn't as good as MITB in terms of suspense, but tbh its a staple of WWE Main Events and I thought for the most part they sold the work and finishing stretch quite well. The counters helped to increase the drama as well. Cena popping up after one move to hit the surprise AA was really bad though, that I won't deny.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.