Wrestling Forum : WWE, TNA, ROH, Wrestling Videos, Women of Wrestling Forums - View Single Post - Official Puro Match/DVD Discussion Thread (NO SPOILERS)

View Single Post

Old 01-06-2013, 02:13 PM   #5174 (permalink)
Cactus
Lacing SCOTT STEINER's boots

Cactus 3501 - 4000Cactus 3501 - 4000Cactus 3501 - 4000Cactus 3501 - 4000Cactus 3501 - 4000Cactus 3501 - 4000Cactus 3501 - 4000Cactus 3501 - 4000Cactus 3501 - 4000Cactus 3501 - 4000Cactus 3501 - 4000
Default Re: Official Puro Match/DVD Discussion Thread (NO SPOILERS)

Spoiler for WK7:

NJPW Wrestlekingdom 7 in the Tokyo Dome

Wataru Inoue, Tama Tonga & Captain New Japan vs Tomohiro Ishii, YOSHI-HASHI & Jado
Tama Tonga's finisher was ...weird.

Jushin Thunder Liger, Tiger Mask & Hiromu Takahashi vs Ryusuke Taguchi, KUSHIDA & BUSHI
The opening matwork was pretty good and Takahashi continues to grow on me with every match I see of his. I hope a push is in store for him in the future.
★★

Manabu Nakanishi, MVP, Strong Man & Akebono vs Toru Yano, Takashi Iizuka, Yujiro Takahashi & Bob Sapp
This match was an awkward mess and overall pretty bad, but I got some enjoyment out of it in the same way as I do when I'm watching a bad action movie. Enthusiastic Nogami on commentary and Bob Sapp added a lot to this match by simply being over-the-top.

Masato Tanaka vs Shelton Benjamin - NEVER Openweight Title
Benjamin is the drizzling shits; he has zero charisma and was busting out german and northern light suplexes like they were side headlocks here. Tanaka managed to get a serviceable match out of him though. I also thought the finish here was pretty good.
★★

Lance Archer & Davey Boy Smith Jr. vs Hirooki Goto & Karl Anderson - IWGP Tag Team Title
This was pretty decent. The finishing stretch was very back-and-forth especially. Like most IWGP title matches nowadays, the final part of the match was really the saving grace of the match. That's not to say the stuff before the final 5 minutes was bad, it was just extremely uneventful.
★★

Yuji Nagata vs Minoru Suzuki
I don't care how many times these two have faced each other; it'll never get old. This match was mostly about one-manship and features many back-and-forth strike exchanges but these two know how to do them right and they do new stuff to make them not feel too similar to their other encounters. Nagata's comeback during the sleeper was awesome and highly-charismatic. His selling gets a tad selective in the final minutes, but it didn't hurt the match too much.
★★★★

Prince Devitt vs Low Ki vs Kota Ibushi - IWGP Jr. Heavyweight Title

Really fun flippity-shit match. Plenty of insane spots to be found in this one but there were plenty of awkward looking moments too. I love Low-Ki's random but awesome Hitman costume.
★★★

Hiroyoshi Tenzan & Satoshi Kojima vs Keiji Muto & Shinjiro Otani
I don't think anyone was expecting a great match here. What I got here was solid stuff. The only thing that sticks out are the huge reactions the highly charismatic team of Muto and Otani got. Crowd reactions can't make a bad match good, but they can make them much more watchable.
★★

Togi Makabe vs Katsuyori Shibata
An entertaining short brawl. Shibata mostly just beats the shit out of Makabe for most of the match until Makabe gets a lucky move in and it's all quite similar to Cena/Lesnar from last year, just nowhere near it's level though.
★★★

Shinsuke Nakamura vs Kazushi Sakuraba - IWGP Intercontinental Title
We are only 6 days into the year and I can comfortably say that this is definitely going to be a top 5 match of the year. Saku dominates Nakamura for most of the match and Nakamura is just awesome at busting out the desperation moves. I also marked big for the Landslide and Nakamura eating a knee in the same way he did from Takayama from years before. All-in-all, this was a great match that made Nakamura look like a true champion, made the title look very important and also kept Saku looking pretty dangerous himself, despite his loss. I hope both Sakuraba and Shibata stick around as they could really freshen up the main event scene.
★★★★

Hiroshi Tanahashi vs Kazuchika Okada - IWGP Heavyweight Title
The first 20 minutes of this was really boring and it felt like they were just going the distance for the hell of it. They could of established everything they did in the first 20 minutes in a few minutes and not bore me to death. The match picks up as soon as Tana uses the Rainmaker taunt. It manages to escape being your usual Tanahashi formulaic back-and-forth finishing stretch and Okada kicking out of the High Fly Flow was pretty unexpected. I feel the more Tanahashi matches I watch, the less I'm going to like him. I can't see the other matches between these two holding up on a re-watch either.
★★★

Overall:
A step-up from last year's show, that's for sure.
Cactus is offline   Reply With Quote