Wrestling Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

2012-13 English Premier League/Cups Thread - GAME OVER YEEEAAAHHH!!!!!!!

329K views 9K replies 174 participants last post by  Deck The Halls With Funes Mori 
#1 ·
Old thread got too big. Leave the memories alone.

I think MAZACAR deserve to feature in the first post :mata :hazard :bosscar2

:rvp and :javy for carrying United.

:dzeko for saving City.

:suarez1 for just being Suarez.

And finally some BRAVE lads :hesk2 :barry (We need some current BRAVE VILLA smilies)

Let's see if we can kill this thread before the end of the season.

#8,654 ·
Yeah I know Reina is gash these days, was saying as much in the chatbox before, but is signing a rookie keeper really the way to go forward? At least with United you can say they have a lot of quality to compensate for De Gea's inexperience. I don't think that Liverpool have that luxury, especially if Butland just ends up becoming the next Green, Foster, Carson, etc.

#8,662 ·
That is a fucking good save, I must have missed that one.

To be fair to the MOTD commentator he did give De Gea loads of praise for a routine long distance save that was heading towards the middle of his goal just above head height.

I also noticed that he got away with parrying out another shot into a dangerous area but got lucky with the scuffed rebound. There's no doubt that his reflexes are the best in the league, but his handling needs to improve. I guess that will come with time. One thing that he might struggle to develop is his command of the eighteen yard area. He's not massively tall for a keeper so he can't really get away with having such a wirey frame.

Good points: Reflexes, distribution, agility.

Bad points: Handling, command of area.

Average points: Positioning, judgement/reading of the game.

I think that he can become great in most of these categories but I'm not so sure about the command of his area one. Obviously personal confidence will play a part.

#8,663 · (Edited)
I'd agree with all of that.

I do think he gets an overly bad rap from the press for the most part though, this for example from the Daily Mail (I know it prints horseshit all the time but it's an example of the narrative in the place).

Uncertain: David de Gea (left) remains uncertain under the high ball

I mean yesterday he took high balls with no fuss at all and clearly caught that one with ease, but they still feel the need to run with a caption just because that's the done thing. It's ok to criticize when he is making errors, but to criticize him when he's catching high balls with ease is just stupid.

#8,664 ·
Great save from de Gea. I don't think Andre nor myself thinks he is a shit goalkeeper. He quite clearly is very good and has a bucket load of potential. But the problem is that his weaknesses are always glaringly obvious, because he makes the same errors over and over again. Does it need to be brought up all the time? Probably not. But you guys fap to any save he makes, so all is fair game ;)

#8,665 ·
I certainly don't think he's shit, it just pisses me off when some United fans suggest that he's world class while continuing to make excuses for all of his mistakes. Sometimes I feel bad for hammering him when Hart, Reina and Szcezny perform far worse, but the thing is that there is very little talk on here of those guys being infallible.

The potential is clear to see because reflexes and agility like that are so rare to come by, the distribution is just the icing on the cake. The best thing that United could do is put the lad on some kind of bulking programme (although that could hinder his agility) while also bringing in some serious competition for his place. That could even be an older experienced keeper with valuable knowledge to pass on, something that could only be a bonus.

I'm of the school of thought that keeper isn't a position to learn your trade in at the top, but there will always be exceptions. Casillas is an obvious example.

#8,667 ·
When it comes to footy the press should generally be ignored. Form opinions for yourself (obviously you guys do) and ignore that horseshit. According to the media Joe Hart is error free and Reina is still world class :lol

I also remember The Scum having a massive campaign for Rob Green to be England No.1 (think he wrote articles for them at one point) from around the time Carson fucked up against Croatia until he finally got a run in the side during late 2009. Then he made that mistake against USA and they started a hate campaign. That says it all where the tabloids are concerned.

#8,669 ·
Man City play the wrong system, in my opinion. Silva should always have a free floating role behind the striker instead of playing out wide where he is wasted. Of course, that would mean not playing two defensive midfielders which Mancini is obssesed with doing. Mancini is playing some Italian tactics or what? Nobody plays with two Dms, he should of let Barry anchor the midfield with Garcia (or another player) supporting Silva further up with Aguero the focal point. Dzeko is exactly the type of player Carragher would rather face as opposed to a tricky player like Aguero. Wrong tactics for me and wrong manager.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.