Wrestling Forum banner

Worst WM Main Event of all time

11K views 134 replies 92 participants last post by  I Came To Play 
#1 ·
My vote would be with WM 28 Cena/Miz. The atmosphere was dead and the crowd didn't seem to give two shits

WM 11 with Bam Bam and Lawrence Taylor is also worthy of a mention. I hope Bam Bam got a big pay day for allowing a football player who'd never wrestled in his life go over on him

Your thoughts?

#35 ·
Re: Worst WM Main event of all time

Triple H vs Jericho WM 18, Triple H vs Randy Orton WM 25, Bam Bam vs LT WM 11, Taker vs Sid WM 13, Miz vs Cena WM 27, Hogan vs Yokozuna WM 9.

Take your pick, they were all pretty bad, the first two mainly due to no one giving a shit after the amazing matches that should have been the main event.

#39 ·

WM 27 Miz/Cena

#43 · (Edited)

I would like anyone saying Cena .vs. The Miz to watch any of these. I know it's tough, you guys weren't born around then, but go download it or buy these events:

-Hogan .vs. Sid Justice
-Hogan .vs. Yokozuna (don't care what anyone says, this counts as a main event whether they like it or not. Could not be anymore ridicolous than this)
-Bam Bam .vs. LT (I have a hard time putting this on the list, let's be realistic Taylor looked good in the ring compared to someone like Floyd Mayweather/Snooki and he was huge during a time WWE was bad)
-Taker .vs. Sid (this is easily worse than Cena .vs. The Miz in terms of hype, match quality, etc)
-Triple H .vs. Jericho (can't believe this has only been listed once outside of my shoutout, the smarks will never admit it)
-Triple H .vs. Orton

Hell, was Triple H .vs. Batista even that great? I think it was not bad, but not as good as Cena .vs. The Miz.

I would even say Stone Cold .vs. The Rock the first match was a bit lame. Their match a month later was the bigger match which is sad. Same with that Wrestlemania 2000 match, why wasn't it The Rock .vs. Triple H instead? Backlash 2000 felt like more of a Wrestlemania than that farce.

Reactions: JigsawKrueger
#56 ·

I would like anyone saying Cena .vs. The Miz to watch any of these. I know it's tough, you guys weren't born around then, but go download it or buy these events:

-Hogan .vs. Sid Justice
-Hogan .vs. Yokozuna (don't care what anyone says, this counts as a main event whether they like it or not. Could not be anymore ridicolous than this)
-Bam Bam .vs. LT (I have a hard time putting this on the list, let's be realistic Taylor looked good in the ring compared to someone like Floyd Mayweather/Snooki and he was huge during a time WWE was bad)
-Taker .vs. Sid (this is easily worse than Cena .vs. The Miz in terms of hype, match quality, etc)
-Triple H .vs. Jericho (can't believe this has only been listed once outside of my shoutout, the smarks will never admit it)
-Triple H .vs. Orton

Hell, was Triple H .vs. Batista even that great? I think it was not bad, but not as good as Cena .vs. The Miz.

I would even say Stone Cold .vs. The Rock the first match was a bit lame. Their match a month later was the bigger match which is sad. Same with that Wrestlemania 2000 match, why wasn't it The Rock .vs. Triple H instead? Backlash 2000 felt like more of a Wrestlemania than that farce.
Face facts cena fan. Cena vs Miz is one of the worst main events ever and thats it i take all those matchs over miz vs cena any day

#44 ·

Worst WM main event of the 2000s: The Miz vs. John Cena, WWE title, WM 27. Miz could not carry his end against a more big match pro like Cena. The anticipation for the Rock made the match seem like filler. Undertaker and Triple H's match earlier was just better and easily match of the night (and even had pyro to end -- typically to ending most WM shows).

The 1990s: Lawrence Taylor vs. Bam Bam Bigelow, WM 11 - TIED WITH - Yokozuna vs. Hulk Hogan, WWE title, WM 9. Both were just bad matches. I think these kind of matches are telling of the quality of big main events getting better as the years went on. Not one of these guys were great in the ring but they had the presence and charisma to sell tickets.

The 1980s: Hulk Hogan vs. King Kong Bundy, WWE title, WM 2. It was the most forgettable of the five WMs in this decade.

FOR THE RECORD: I think anyone is crazy to say Rock vs. Cena was a horrible main event and/or match. Just nuts -- I suppose nothing short of a Dean Ambrose vs. Daniel Bryan 2 hour Iron Man match would suffice huh? Smarks.

Reactions: Rock316AE
#45 ·

WM 2000 WWF Championship fatal four way

HHH v Show v Rock v Foley

Rock should have won

by far the worst WM ME ever

WM 2000 was by far the worst WM ever!

That easily gets my vote!

#46 ·

Rock vs. Cena? Jericho vs. HHH? etc. You make me laugh! Some have said the crowd noise was quieter due to the open stadium setting. Either way, it was technically a very strong effort. The main event of WM18 was a let down but then then build was crap.

Lawrence Taylor vs. Bigelow exceeded expectations. It also led to a face turn.

Hogan/Bundy was poor. Hogan/Andre was techincally atrocious. But the magic of Hulkamania was in full force.

'Taker vs. Sid was crap, but at least 'Taker became a true champion.

Hogan vs. Sid gets my vote. Not only technically awful, but Shango was late. It ended confusingly, in a DQ and Warrior returned with such a loss of muscle mass people thought it was an imposter!

#48 ·

its depressing seeing so many children called rock/cena the worst match :(

atleast the rest of the world loves that match Thank God its only a few on this site that dont and disses

too many kids on here havent seen a mania main event beyond beyond 2007 me thinks..

#52 · (Edited)

I don't think Rock/John Cena is a Worst Match contender. It isn't Triple H/Orton, Hogan/Yokozuna, Brock/Goldberg, Lawrence Taylor for God's sake but it certainly isn't a good one.

Both of them looked mentally and physically blown up about 15 minutes in. Speaking of run time, less would have been more here. Half an hour was just way too much to ask from these guys.

The pace of it was very slow and both men can clearly be seen and heard physically and verbally "calling" spots which took me out of it. There was an inordinate amount of time spent in rest holds and submissions. Both The Rock's Sharpshooter and John Cena's STF were two of the very worst examples of those moves I've seen and were held on for far too long.

The Rock went over after John Cena's heel behavior and it was of zero consequence. The Rock promptly fucked off to Hollywood to star in a "movie" I wouldn't watch for a brick of something lovely from Fort Knox and John Cena...remained a booked face John Cena and didn't change a bit.

So all the hype for a mediocre, consequence free match.

It is comfortably a D performance, scraping bottom barrel C/3 star territory and in the bottom third tier of WM matches.

#55 ·

Miz vs Cena by far. No one cared for that match. Miz should have been no where near that match. it should have been Punk vs Cena

#57 ·

Honestly, that garbage with Bam Bam Bigelow and Lawrence Taylor. Whose idea was it for THAT to headline Wrestlemania? HBK's MOTY bout with Diesel of all people was the rightful main event.

#58 ·

Id go with Rock/Cena in terms of attention and hype. Its still the biggest match after the Attitude Era but it was not anywhere near it was suppose to be, only because Cena is such a lackluster "top guy" imo he ruined the feud in every way possible.

WM 9 has to be the worst ever, i mean Bret got screwed big time. Hogan shouldve just passed the torch to Bret then left.

#59 ·

The answer is probably from something pre-1998 but I don't really know anything too well to comment on those. Instead I'll just pick the worst ones from the past 15 or so years.

The Miz vs John Cena - WM27 (BOOOOORING and even The Rock's post-match involvement couldn't save it. Doesn't help that it almost ended by a freaking countout.)

Triple H vs Randy Orton - WM25 (Don't think it's nearly as bad as most say it is but yeah, it was very underwhelming with the dead crowd and lack of heat despite the intense storyline. Glad that Orton finally main evented a WM, though. For that alone, this wont be my pick.)

Triple H vs Chris Jericho - WM18 (Crowd wanted Hogan/Rock and for that reason, putting this match last was a big mistake. Completely dead crowd and just very boring to watch.)

Best main event is easily between WM20 (Benoit/HHH/Shawn) and WM17 (Rock/Austin).

Also don't get the hate for Rock/Cena. I think it was pretty decent and the finish was great.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.