Wrestling Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

NFL Thread: RAVENS SUPER BOWL CHAMPIONS

326K views 7K replies 218 participants last post by  Notorious 
#1 ·
Preseason cranks up tomorrow and that means we're less than a month from games that count.

This is the best time of year.

#6,396 · (Edited)
Pats did the did deed at Gillette. It was the Packers who trounced the Texans in Houston.

Edit - Did the did? Who am I, Terry Glenn? (kudos to whoever got that reference)

A few things concern me as a Patriots fan right now:

1. Houston. After all, they are the next opponent. Not expecting a blowout like last time. This time two weeks ago, they were still the #1 seed in the AFC and they didn't get there by accident. Slump or not, that's still a damn good football team with stars on both sides of the ball. As much as I want to dismiss them and look ahead, I'm forever haunted by the collapse against the Jets two years ago. I love the Pats' chances against any team, especially at home, but now every playoff opponent terrifies me. Never used to feel like that even back in the Drew Bledsoe/Bill Parcells days.

2. Should the Pats advance to the AFCCG, they'll have the task of playing the Ravens. A team riding high on the Ray Lewis narrative right now. They have the look and feel of a team of destiny. Many people forget that despite the W-L record, they are a battle tested, veteran team capable of being as good as any team in the AFC. Most of the guys who were Cundiff'd last year are still there. I feel better about the Patriots hosting Baltimore, than visiting Denver, but not by much. The last time the Pats played a game against the Ravens that didn't take years out of my life in the process was a 24-3 victory nine seasons ago. If this game happens, I'll surely need to steal the oxygen tanks that the players were using at Mile High yesterday.

3. The Giants beat the Patriots their last two Super Bowls by ridiculous fortune on offense and kick-yo-ass defense that disrupted Brady's timing all game long. The Seahawks barely eeked by the Pats, in Seattle, at the last second. But that Seahawks defense is legit and can cause all kinds of problems (though they will miss Clemons some). And the 49ers are elite, especially defensively, and Kaepernick has that "it" factor that was lacking in Alex Smith. I feel strongly that one of these two teams is repping the NFC. As great a season the Falcons have had, they're more likely paper champions. Would love to see them prove me wrong today and next week, as their defense is the least of the three evils from my vantage point. They're also the only team left in the playoffs that hasn't faced the Patriots this season. IIRC Atlanta hasn't beat New England since the 1998 season. But the Falcons have the league's best record, so there's still a lot of DERP to that statement. Nothing will come easy to the Pats, not this week or potentially through the Superdome.

Okay that wasn't just a few concerns. That was many. But yeah, PLAYOFF TIME! Best time of the year.

TL;DR TIME, PEOPLE.

Can't overlook Texans......every playoff game makes me nervous......Ravens look like team of destiny right now......the NFC is really fucking good and is really a pick your poison proposition for the AFC opponent

Oh yeah, and LET'S GO PATS!!! :mark: :mark: :mark:

#6,538 · (Edited)
The fix was in. I saw it. Notorious saw it. MrMister saw it. Tom Brady, the Lamb of God, was just able to lead his team through it.

The fix will be in even worse next week. Ray Lewis will have threatened those refs at gun point. Hopefully the LAMB OF GOD can persevere.

#9 ·
re: NFL Thread: Week 1 - Glorious

I'm getting sick of waiting for their 7th Super Bowl. Better win in this year.

They'll be starting 2 rookies on the O-line tomorrow/tonight/whatever, DeCastro and Adams. Both said they're ready to "hit someone else". ie. not someone on their team of course. Looking forward to watching these guys.

Reactions: DH
#28 ·

I'm pretty fuckin' confident, man. Carolina doesn't need a great defense, just one that won't give away the game, which happened in TONS of games last season. With Beason/Davis/Edwards back, the addition of Kuechly, and another year of experience for McClain and others, the defense will be good enough to get the job done. Hogan missed the majority of last seson, but I've got high hopes for him, as well as rookie CB Josh Norman. I'm rather excited to see Norman. Joe Adams is going to rape bitches on punt returns, which is something I'm excited for. Returner has been a big need for a few years, and that's definitely a hole he'll fill.

#55 ·

I'm pretty fuckin' confident, man. Carolina doesn't need a great defense, just one that won't give away the game, which happened in TONS of games last season. With Beason/Davis/Edwards back, the addition of Kuechly, and another year of experience for McClain and others, the defense will be good enough to get the job done. Hogan missed the majority of last seson, but I've got high hopes for him, as well as rookie CB Josh Norman. I'm rather excited to see Norman. Joe Adams is going to rape bitches on punt returns, which is something I'm excited for. Returner has been a big need for a few years, and that's definitely a hole he'll fill.
Well you never know with the NFC South. Our LB core has to be one of the strongest in the league. We should be running a 3-4. We picked up a lot of depth in the secondary and receiving core, but most of these guys I haven't heard of. (never paid much attention to what happened around the league until last year)

But yeah. I don't trust the Saints after the Bountygate scandal came crashing down on them. Losing Vilma and Payton are big losses. The defense wasn't really anything to brag about last year, I can only imagine how it will be this year. Plus losing your head coach, especially one like Payton, has to rock your team a little. The Falcons look dangerous, but I don't put much faith in Ryan anymore.

#34 ·

If Skelton is the starter in Arizona, I seriously won't be shocked if they win the NFC West. SF is overrated in that just because they had a nice season they're now an elite powerhouse. Nah. Good defense...but the QB is Alex Smith. ALEX SMITH. Come on. Not that Skelton is any better, but Skelton has Fitzgerald. Pretty sure the Cards finished the season strong too. I'm not predicting this just yet, but SF shouldn't rest on their laurels. The distance between them and Arizona and Seattle isn't that far.

#254 ·

Last night is an example of why I don't get hyped about preseason football. It was brutal to watch. 22 days until the NFL season starts, can't wait.

On another note, sounds like that the NFL will most likely be starting the season with replacement referees. This is just ridiculous. Roger Goodell is starting to really piss me off now. It's bad enough he's becoming the judge, jury, and executioner for these players, not to mention turning them into a bunch of softies with rule changes that are now starting to impact the heart and soul of the game, as well as stupid overtime rules that no one can freaking understand. Now he's going to sit the best officials out to prove that he is the best and won't pay them what they're worth.

Get the officials back on the field and get a deal done.

#857 ·
Re: NFL Thread: Week 1 - Glorious

Monday Night Football this season will be on... the BBC red button.

That's right, we've gone from having dedicated MNF coverage on ESPN, in full HD, with a full countdown show... to it being on the red button.

Really BBC? Couldn't do without repeats of Countryfile and Holby City of a Monday Night so we could watch in HD? Fuck off.

Hope the Giants win tonight, but hope DeMarco Murray gets me some early fantasy points on the board.

#957 ·

Romo haters seem pretty quiet RIGHT ABOUT NOW
lol. It's the first game. Wait until his team misses the playoffs again.

#1,083 ·

I'd go Lloyd. Secondary in Tennessee lost Cortland Finnegan and I don't think they replaced him. Plus Tom Brady is likely to try and toss a deep ball to Lloyd for a TD at least once. I also think NE's defense got a little better.

#1,552 ·
Re: NFL Thread: Week 2 - Peyton is gonna Manning

Joe Flacco Named AFC Offensive Player Of The Week

Ravens quarterback Joe Flacco stole the show in front of a national TV audience Monday night and the NFL has recognized him for that performance.

Flacco has been named the AFC’s Offensive Player of the Week for leading the Ravens to a 44-13 victory over the Cincinnati Bengals. Flacco completed 21-of-29 passes for 299 yards and two touchdowns no interceptions. He finished the game with a quarterback rating of 128.4.

“Joe Flacco is going to be a great player,” Head Coach John Harbaugh said after the game. “Joe Flacco is a great player. Joe Flacco has been a great player.”

Flacco ran the Ravens no-huddle offense to near perfection, spreading the ball around to seven different targets. He orchestrated scoring drives of 51, 63, 82, 89, 53 and 28 yards against a Bengals defense that ranked 10th in the NFL last season.

This is Flacco’s second time winning the award, as he also was also recognized during his rookie season in 2008 following a 248-yard, two-touchdown effort against the Browns.

He is the fifth quarterback in team history to win the award, as Kyle Boller, Tony Banks, Anthony Wright and Vinny Testaverde were also recipients.
:rolleyes:

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.