Wrestling Forum banner

The Worst

Who's the worst Commissioner in the big 4 sports (NHL, NBA, NFL, MLB)?

4K views 70 replies 24 participants last post by  oompaloompaTAZ 
#1 ·
I know, it's American sports, but hey, that's who were dumping on...

Someone asked me today "Which commissioner is the best of the current 4 major sports?" and I was thinking about it, and was like "Wow, damn, they're all pretty terrible eh?"

Let's review:

Bud Selig, MLB: Been the commissioner (basically) since 1992, officially since 1998. Famously declared an All Star game a tie with no winner, and has presided over the most taint era of any sport as far as performance enhancing drugs go, doing little about it until recently, and even then people are still failing drug tests with semi lenient penalties. Oh and he's fucked the Houston Astros (specifically) organization in the ass with a big rubber dick on numerous occasions.

Gary Bettman, NHL - While the NHL has grown tremendously under his tenure, his decisions to take teams out of Canada and put them in the southern USA has pissed off a lot of people. Has been involved with three labor issues resulting in shortened seasons, more than any other Commish. Probably the most booed Commish as well.

David Stern, NBA: Like Bettman, the sport has no question grown tremendously under him. Also, no question, has presided over the most corrupt officials of the four major sports. While Bud specializes in fucking the city of Houston over with seemingly petty stuff, "Big Dave" essentially fucked the Sacramento Kings out of an NBA title. Oh the 1985 Draft fix was on his watch too. And the Chris Paul trade veto, since the league owns the Hornets. Fun fun.

Roger Goodell, NFL: Has endured one player lockout, and one referee lockout, which as of this date, caused some waves in seeding and teams making and not making the playoffs with a total disaster highlighted by the Seattle/Green Bay game. Oversaw Bountygate, which led to some of his rulings being overturned. Has considered eliminating kickoffs from the NFL (not a joke) and adding more playoff teams - to help those sub .500 teams get into post season. Imagine the 2012 San Diego Chargers as a playoff team? Yikes.

So, which one of these primates is your pick for the worst Commish? Does anyone even like any of these guys at all?

See less See more
#4 ·
Goodell has actually seriously brought forth the idea to eliminate the kickoff. Fuck that and fuck him.

Stern is a piece of shit too.

Selig is the worst though. He allows awful trades and shady dealings to go down for his gay lover Jeffrey Loria. I mean they have to be lovers with the shit he's allowed Loria to get away with (the Expos/Marlins deal was some seriously shady shit).

What teams were taken out of Canada? The NHL guy is definitely bad, but is he solely at fault for labor disputes? I don't think so.

#16 ·
Stern is a piece of shit too.

Selig is the worst though. He allows awful trades and shady dealings to go down for his gay lover Jeffrey Loria. I mean they have to be lovers with the shit he's allowed Loria to get away with (the Expos/Marlins deal was some seriously shady shit).
I was torn between these two, and ultimately voted for Stern. Bettman is a popular choice because the NHL is currently in another labor shortage, but he's also secured some TV deals that the NHL honestly didn't deserve, so he gets some credit for that. The labor stoppages are a joke, but the NHL has grown a bit. Goodell has had bad circumstances hit him, that were not his doing.

Bud Selig is terrible, and I'm amazed he doesn't have a single vote. I was so close to voting for him, I think you need to, he shouldn't escape this with 0 votes. That guy had the Astros play home games in Milwaukee - against the Cubs, who had fans nearby, and they enjoyed home games basically on the road and I believe got no hit by Carlos Zambrano there. Ordered the Astros to close their roof once, changed game start times on them to help west coast teams, etc. Fucking steroids have wrecked baseball, the record books, and that an never ever be reclaimed. He claism that it wasn't his fault, but he didn't impose harsh enough penalties or severe testing measures to prevent it either. In theory, he knowing let McGwire and Sosa (and later Bonds) juice so they could chase Maris and get fans back that had left in 1994 due to that strike that screwed the Expos out of a championship. Jesus somebody vote for this fucking guy, already starting to think I voted wrongly for Stern. But...

But David Stern is a fat fuck cunt who manipulates the league ad nauseum and has a horrendous scheduling system that has numerous teams (see the San Antonio Spurs) rest players on these "4 games in 5 nights" stretches, and then he blames the fucking team for resting what is clearly older players who need the rest. Greg Poppovich should of told Dave "Fuck you and I hope you fall off a ladder soon, dickhead" for receiving that fine. It was the league's fault. He has outright rigged things to what he feels should happen. He works for the owners, not the player. He's not even a likable person either. It was his idea to have only "23 and under" players in the Olympics. Hey Dave - I like winning the gold in the Olympics, Country > NBA. Go fuck yourself. Who the hell appoints their own successor anyhow? What is this, fucking Cuba?

Yeah the NBA grew under your tenure, sure. You want to know why?

and more importantly a man who's name or face I don't have to mention, a mere logo will do

That is why the NBA going global was successful. Your contribution to that was most assuredly a partial one.

Reactions: MrMister
#5 · (Edited)
Bettman.

In 1992 when Bettman was appointed commissioner the NHL was rivaling the NBA in most markets for the 2nd spot behind the NFL. Believe it or not back in 92 hockey was bigger than basketball in such citys as New York. Flashforward 20 years and the NHL is competing with bowling in the ratings department.

And he's the guy that thought moving the Jets from a market where they sold out almost every game to a bloody suburb in the desert where they average about 9000 fans a game was a good idea.

Thank's Gary!

Profit may be up but the NHL takes a backseat to darts in most of the states

#62 ·
It's David Stern by FAR.

I can understand why many people have chosen Bettman, but in all fairness, his position was the worst/hardest of the lot. He leads the least popular of the four sports, and it had an unintelligent CBA put in place that doomed the league due to actual revenues not matching up well enough against players salaries.

But Stern? My god. . .how anyone can not vote that guy boggles my mind. Bettman may be a below average commisioner, but Stern is an extremely corrupt one. Give me an inept commisioner over a corrupt one any day. I may not get to see NHL every year, but when I do, at least I know every team has a chance and not just Stern's hand-picked top 5.

There's a huge, long history of Stern rigging lotteries (with both video and frequent and repeated mathamatecial improbabilities of "convienient" teams gettting picks way higher than they should as evidence), rigging playoff series, even rigging regular season games.

Examples: The bent envelope conspiracy for the Knicks to get Patrick Ewing. The shameless gifting of the expansion team Orlando Magic two straight #1 picks to get that team started which ran something like a 0.01% chance of happening legitimately, and it convieniently happened immediately? lmao, sure Stern. The Bulls getting the guy from Chicago, Derrick Rose, with a 0.8% chance of landing the top pick to help get that team back on it's feet after struggling for a decade after Jordan's departure.

Or even more embarrassing, last year's lottery where every single team statistically got drafted in the order their chances would dictate. . .except the Hornets, the team the NBA just sold in the offseason, who jumped up 3 spots to get the #1 pick. It was like they wanted everything to seem in order so the Hornets getting the top pick wouldn't look as shady. Only it looked even worse.

Stern is the worst. Rampant history of game fixing and draft lottery fixing. Gimmie a mediocre commisioner over him ANY day.

Which team? The Spurs? Stern seems to have some deep-seated hatred for that team. I feel bad for their fans.

500k fine for resting a few players? lol, wtf.

#14 ·
I think all 4 of them suck

the least lame one is Selig

and the worst is Goodell and Stern

#18 ·
And the Chris Paul trade veto, since the league owns the Hornets. Fun fun.
Past tense: owned. Tom Benson, the owner of the Saints, now owns the Hornets as well.

Roger Goodell, NFL: Oversaw Bountygate, which led to some of his rulings being overturned.
Tagliabue's report admittedly found zero evidence of a bounty system and relied on the words of a mentally unstable coach who was fired and the ever bitter Gregg Williams. All Tagliabue found was evidence of a "performance pool" that rewarded hard tackles and big hits, but not injuries or "cart offs" as Goodell claimed. $10,000 on the head of Brett Favre? Bullshit.

No one else "in the know" ever came forward besides those two and their inconsistencies did them in. Goodell looks oh so stupid.

WHEN Vilma owns his ass in court, Goodell will be shamed into resigning. The simple fact of the matter is that the league did not want the Saints contending for a Super Bowl in their home city and did everything in their power to prevent it from happening. Goodell, in essence, shit the bed. Now he's laying in it.

#21 ·
Anyway, GS are you seriously saying there was a conspiracy to keep the Saints out of this year's Super Bowl? If so lol. You're better than that man.
Suspending the Head Coach for a year, the General Manager for 8 games, the interim Head Coach for 6 games, attempting to suspend a litany of players for a number of games, forfeited draft picks, all based on what? Where is the evidence to warrant that type of response when they previously let other teams get away with it like the Packers in 2007 and the popular "Smash for Cash" program funded by Reggie White in 1996? Why are the Saints and their "performance pool" different?

Where is the evidence?

More importantly, where is a fucking apology from this shitbag?

#23 ·
Goodell is just the kind of guy that says NO MORE NOT ON MY WATCH. He's a grandstander, but puts on the this fake ass humility WE'RE ALL ABOUT PLAYER SAFETY.

He was extreme in his punishment, but thinking he did what he did to keep the Saints out of a Superdome SB is a stretch to say the least.

#29 ·
Goodell is just the kind of guy that says NO MORE NOT ON MY WATCH.
The Packers in 2007 were on his watch considering he assumed the head honcho role in 2006. You can't set a precedent of letting one team off scott free and giving the other team the Mussolini treatment.

He was extreme in his punishment, but thinking he did what he did to keep the Saints out of a Superdome SB is a stretch to say the least.
Then why the extreme punishment in one case and not the other? The precedent had been set. He FLAT OUT LIED about evidence that he supposedly had. When he was ordered to show the court the thousands of pages of documents he claimed, HE SUBSEQUENTLY RECUSED HIMSELF FROM THE SITUATION.

umm you do realize everyone agrees on the fact that there was a bounty system in Saints organization, right? It wasn't like the older commish(cant spell his name) said that all the suspensions were of wrong doing and that the Saints didn't deserve them, he just pointed out the fact that there was no way of proving which players did what in the program and therefore suspending them wasn't right.
This couldn't be more wrong. Tagliabue acknowledged that certain players DID take part in a "performance pool" for big hits and defensive plays, but not intent to injure as was orginally claimed. However, he completely shredded the NFL's claim of payments for cart offs and how there were certain "bounties" on certain players' heads (Favre and Warner).

And just because other teams in the past got away with it doesn't mean the Saints should have. Team shouldn't be employing any team of bounty systems as it isn't safe and it does put players at risk in a game where players are already normally at risk.
You can't set a precedent for one team and crucify the other. Simply can't do it.

#24 ·
Really, what we could use is an additional bye week in the NFL, the NBA season cut down to like 70 games, MLB cut down to 140ish, and I have no idea how many games are in an NHL season, Bettman lost me as a fan after the fucking first lockout(2 in 7 years is ridiculous).

None of them care about player safety, just their bottom lines.

#25 ·
Right, he wants these players to play an extra game a season too lmao (all for player safety obv). I forgot about that insanity. I agree Stacks, an extra bye is what is needed, not an extra game. You can easily cut a pre-season game to account for the bye week.

An extra bye could really destroy a team's momentum though. There is that.

#30 ·
Exactly Magic, Kirk Gibson was on steroids to recover faster when he hit his walk off shot in the World Series, but baseball changed their tune on that issue, just like the NFL is allowed to make things that were once done, illegal. You can't ban what hasn't been done before, look at goal tending in basketball, and the use of midgets as pinch hitters in baseball.

#36 ·
No payments were rendered for injuries.

You're just being a bitter homer. I'd be pissed too if Goodell fucked my team over, but I wouldn't think there was conspiracy against them. Goodell simply made an overreaching power play. Nothing more. I'm not condoning it, I think the guy is scum.
No, I just want the evidence. If the thousands of documents of evidence are there as claimed, let's see them. Don't show what you've got and get the fuck out of dodge when times get tough. Stand your fucking ground like a man. There's nothing bitter about being suspicious of the activities of someone who handed down punishment that was not upheld by either the Courts nor an arbitrator.

Also, there was apparently a cover up. Cover ups always make things worse.
There was a denial of a "pay to injure" program that the league accused us of. There was no "pay to injure" program, or at least no evidence of one anyway.

#34 ·
You're just being a bitter homer. I'd be pissed too if Goodell fucked my team over, but I wouldn't think there was conspiracy against them. Goodell simply made an overreaching power play. Nothing more. I'm not condoning it, I think the guy is scum.

Also, there was apparently a cover up. Cover ups always make things worse.

Let's talk shit about Selig or this Bettman fucktard. I can't watch NHL even if the season is on where I live. WTF is up with that? I mean I can get a game every now and then, and do get some playoffs, but nothing more than that. I was even going to try to get back into my STARS last season, but fuck, nothing on here ever.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.