Wrestling Forum banner

THQ goes broke, owes WWE $45 million

17K views 116 replies 80 participants last post by  I know its Kojima 
#1 ·
THQ, the publisher of games like the Saints Row series, the Red Faction series, the Company of Heroes series, and WWE's line of wrestling games has filed for Chapter 11 bankruptcy.

Info: http://www.pcgamer.com/2012/12/19/t...el=ref&ns_source=steam&ns_linkname=0&ns_fee=0

Though really, everyone was expecting this to happen anyway, though much, much sooner. Among their problems, they owe WWE $45 million as per their multi-year agreement (whatever that is... or was). Vince... is obviously none too happy.

More info: http://www.cagesideseats.com/2012/1...thq-owes-wwe-45-million-vince-mcmahon-furious

Looks like WWE '14 will be made by someone else, just not THQ.

#7 ·
No Mercy
Smackdown 2
Shut Your Mouth
Here Comes The Pain
SVR 2004

Those were a ll good/great games but the shit fest was 07-12 really hurt their wrestling legacy because too many half assed sequels made a lot of fans turn away, however if it wasn't for the WWE brand they would've went out of business a long time ago.

#66 ·
Please god no. EA fuck and screw over the fans of it's biggest cash cow (FIFA) year on year.

That said, whoever makes the game next year will have to make it exceptional. Bugs are in video games every year for a reason, to make you buy next year's version for a fix. Hard to do that if you screw up your first attempt, so it's highly likely ill buy next year's game.

And we might just get next gen graphics on the next one. For example, Chris Jericho in SvsR '08 looks more realistic than the WWE 13 counterpart.

#93 ·
Shame, I enjoyed Red Factions 1 and 2. Wicked game play.

@the guy saying Mass Effect 3 sucked: the conclusion of the story was unsatisfying, but the game play itself was great.

What's with the THQ hate here? They proved in the past they could put out good wrestling games. Unfortunately, they suffered from the same thing the sports franchises suffer from. How do they improve on a yearly basis besides graphics and roster updates? You could literally not buy the next installments for 3 years and you'd have missed nothing. Smackdown HCTP was awesome, I played the hell out of that game. All the Smackdowns were awesome (except Just Bring It, that was shit). SVR 1 was great as well. After that...it was "how can we pad this out for another year." I haven't played the newer ones because I refuse to give the Fed my business anymore.

Seriously, there are so many video games snobs in this thread its unreal. I keep hearing "oh this element of the game was shit, the company is always shit, blah blah blah, EA is so terrible, THQ was never good, etc." Must be awful being you, since nothing ever makes you happy and you always complain. In fact, you'd probably better just stop playing video games altogether because evidently you only tolerate perfection, and you'll never get the perfect video game. Seriously, to say both company were always bad and never put out a good game in their existence is so fucking idiotic.

Reactions: Bo Wyatt
#99 ·
http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/...y_mean_for_the_future_of_THQ.php#.UNsxZ3cZEgk

"Those companies that hold THQ's debt will get 10 cents on the dollar in exchange for forgiving the rest, assuming the bankruptcy court approves the deal. Investors who hold stock in the company? They're screwed -- and likely won't see a penny on their returns, though expect the class action suits to be filed real soon."

:vince3

Reactions: Telos
#3 ·
Don't think much'll change.The game is still going to be developed and created by Yukes, but they'll just get some other company to publish it. The overall game characteristics will stay the same.

Dat $45 Million loss though :datass

#6 ·
So weird that they filed for bankruptcy. They have a lot of successful franchises. Those WWE games alone sell millions of copies a year, Saint's Row the Third was extremely successful, as were the others in the series. Red faction did alright, as did Company of Heroes.

#23 ·
remember those awful wcw games for the psx? those were made by thq.

games sucked ass especially wcw thunder where rey mysterio was just as tall as hogan.

#32 ·
The moves looked good, though.

I'm glad THQ will no longer be making WWE games, but sucks for those losing their jobs.

WWE 13. I hate that you can put your characters attributes all the way up straight away, rather than having to go through Universe mode to earn credits. Where's the challenge? Been crap games for 5 years.

#25 ·
Get it made by Rockstar. You can then live the full gimmick of your wrestler in a massive open world scenario. The special mode can be Dino Bravo where you start running cigarettes and undercutting the Canadian Mafia. The game ends with you letting someone into your house while you're watching hockey, sitting down for a drink and being shot in the face.

#43 ·
Whoever makes the next game... BRING BACK GENERAL MANAGER MODE!!!!!!!!!!!! Also I really liked '12 and I'm getting '13 for xmas, there good games I stopped buying after '09, no general manager mode/universe mode = no buy from me.
I remember playing that gimmick thing and it was terrible. You couldn't chose who would win a match. If you want something that can do booking right try Total Extreme Wrestling.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.