Wrestling Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Boxing Thread

214K views 6K replies 282 participants last post by  Rowdy Yates 
#1 · (Edited)

Since nobody posts in the boxing thread, thought I'd just make this thread for anyone interested to discuss.

See less See more
#1,352 ·
I had the fight closer, more so to the 96-94 Chavez.I think people saw Chavez hit harder blows in the round, and Vera running around with him with jabs.It wasn't till later in the fight where he started to land harder shots, but then I thought Chavez had a one round advantage.I would of gave the fight to Vera if he didn't give up the last round, I would of been fine with a draw.Expect a rematch somewhere down the line, I'm highly disappointed in the conditioning of Chavez.He had Vera a few times rocking, and if he was in shape, he would of pounced on him fast.

#1,353 ·
I had Vera up at least 2 rounds, in the last couple rounds all you saw was Vera throwing multiple combinations at will and Chavez throwing one punch at a time, sure they were harder shots but shit that wasn't enough for me.

Had he come into the fight in shape he probably could have KO'd Vera, he was slipping lots of punches early, should have been countering him all night.

#1,504 ·
The whole thing screamed like a rematch was in place if Froch was in danger. How two of the judges had it just 76-75 to Groves is beyond me. The ref should've taken points off Froch at least once for cheap shots, the elbow, and the first sign of Groves being in trouble he stepped in. He didn't once when Froch was in a worse state. I've seen Groves get knocked down badly but got up straight away and KO'd his opponent next round. The whole "Froch had him" is hypothetical at best. No one knows that. It's pure guesswork. Groves had Froch in a worse state on a number of occasions. It was absolute bullshit.

#1,511 ·
I think the Hearns have a lot to answer for, Like the last Ricky Burns fight they organised, it was a bit of a joke.

Two great fighters and it was a decent fight, I also had Groves miles ahead and the stoppage was the biggest most bullshit call I've ever seen, right up there with the Ricky Burns phantom win against Beltran. I still think boxing is one of those dodgy corrupt sports.

#1,508 ·
What a fantastic bit of story-telling in the Froch/Groves fight. Not to say it was a work but this seems this was latter day WCW all over.

You start of with the world champion, loved by all. Then you have this arrogant young kid talking smack (obviously trying to sell the fight as much as he was trying to get into Froch's head.)

From the moment Groves steps out into the arena, he's heeling it up. Soaking up the boo's from the audience and doesn't show that he's phased in the slightest. Then Froch comes out to rapturous cheers from the Manchester crowd.

The fight starts and the first thing that jumps into my mind is how quickly Groves goes on the attack. Froch had been goading him before the fight to "come and meet me in the middle of the ring." Groves didn't just do that but he hounded Froch around the squared circle. Then Groves starts to land punches, the echoes of his pre-match promises start to ring around me head "I'm gunna hit you with 2 right's in the 1st round, just to show you I can"

The early round are dominated by Groves where he shows both impressive attacking boxing and excellent defensive ducking and weaving. Froch comes back into it for a couple of rounds then...DAT STOPPAGE.

Everyone is in an uproar, the referee calls a stoppage to the fight without Groves ever being knocked off his feet. Sure, there's probably some technicality that will cover the referee's back here but it was a nonsense decision. This is boxing and when you pay to see a fight (and when you're paid to fight) you expect a clear out-come (or the fight to at least go the distance.) Of course, neither happened. This was the equivalent of seeing an underdog football team go 1-0 up and then as soon as the favourite gets the equaliser, the referee calls an end to the game and says "well, they were going to come back and hammer you, so I thought I'd save everyone's time. The favourites win" Sure, you can talk about the dangerous involved with boxing...but that conversation is not one to be had in the middle of a match where 1 guy has dominated for a mere couple of seconds.

Post-match and Groves is distraught, Froch meanwhile is being paraded around the ring as if some kind of hero who's just slayed the dragon. Firstly Froch ignores Groves' handshake, then he does a post-match talk where he goes into self-promotion mode, talking about how his punches are so dangerous and how Groves was lucky to have had the match ended, otherwise he would have done him some serious damage. He then takes all the blame from himself, not wanting to become the bad guy and shifts it onto the referee saying it's his decision. Of course, it is the referee's decision but take some of the credit if you did deserve to win.

Coming out of it, the double-turn is complete, Groves is cheered by the audience and Froch is booed. Froch comes across as the arrogant champion, who's trying desperately to be liked by the fans whilst Groves is the heroic warrior, robbed by an overly keen referee and a cowardly champion, willing to take the win however he can.

How gratifying can it be? Being the champion, when nobody else believes you should be.

#2,156 ·
Showtime April 19
Bernard Hopkins vs. Beibut Shumenov (IBF/WBA light heavyweight titles)

Network TBA April 26
Wladimir Klitschko vs. Alex Leapai (IBF/WBO/IBO/WBA heavyweight titles)

PPV May 3
Floyd Mayweather vs. Marcos Maidana (WBC/WBA welterweight)
Adrien Broner vs. Carlos Molina (super lightweight)

HBO May 17
Juan Manuel Marquez vs. Mike Alvarado (super lightweight)

PPV June 7
Miguel Cotto vs. Sergio Martinez (WBC middleweight)

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.