Wrestling Forum banner

ROH Final Battle 2012 - NYC, Dec 16 (DOOMSDAY~!)

26K views 246 replies 60 participants last post by  manga4life 
#1 · (Edited)

ROH WORLD CHAMPIONSHIP LADDER WAR!!
Kevin Steen (c) vs El Generico.

ROH World Tag Team Championship
Jimmy Jacobs and Steve Corino (c) vs The Briscoes vs Caprice Coleman and Cedric Alexander.

Non-Title
Adam Cole vs Matt Hardy.

Jay Lethal vs Rhino.

NYC Street Fight:
Wrestling's Greatest Tag Team vs BJ Whitmer and Rhett Titus.

Jerry Lynn vs Mike Bennett.

Roderick Strong vs Michael Elgin.

Bobby Fish and Kyle O'Reilly vs The American Wolves.

Prince Nana vs RD Evans.

See less See more
#189 ·
Michael Elgin vs Roderick Strong - ***1/4-***1/2
Rhino vs Jay Lethal - **
RD Evans vs Prince Nana - **1/2
WGTT vs BJ Express - ***1/4-***1/2
Mike Bennett vs Jerry Lynn - **3/4
American Wolves vs O'Reilly and Fish - ***3/4
Matt Hardy vs Adam Cole - **1/2
Briscoes vs SCUM vs C&C - **1/4 (needs to watch this again)
Generico vs Steen - ****1/2

I'll def rewatch the show tomorrow, I felt like it was a very good show but didn't hit the full potniel. Questionable booking here and there (why so many angles? why the 3-way was so short? why WGTT won again??) but had great booking too as Briscoes open challenge to any tag team in the world and more. The crowd was awful and thanks god it wasn't FB 2011 and they didn't completly ruined everything.

#192 ·
Very much looking forward to seeing Ladder War 4, but booking wise where the hell does ROH go from here other than pushing a bunch of guys who've been done to death already? For a company with a rich history of creating & nurturing future big league stars, this was a really conservative / cowardly show.

#194 ·
kinda wish they would've taken a chance on Generico. i've heard rumors WWE is interested though so maybe they didn't want to do it. plus they've been building the Steen/Lethal rematch.

hoping the Briscoes challenging talent "all over the world" goes somewhere. also looks like a rematch between Hardy and Cole is in the works which is fine as i enjoyed the match for what it was.

#198 ·
Read results. Briscoes winning is pathetic. Not surprised. Everything else was pretty expected. I do think the only results I was wrong on was Briscoes & Strong winning. I want to see it. Sounds like it has potential and not like anything was necessarily bad.

Except for that final spot in the Street Fight. Fuckin christ Haas. As if Whitmer needed to be killed worse than any of the nasty spots Jacobs did to him over the years.

#204 ·
ROH Final Battle 2012 Review:
Overall a very solid outing from ROH, this show accomplished everything it set out to. Extra points for Hardy going over, Wolves/KO&Fish and Briscoes winning the straps. Consistent card up and down with a good ME, can't go wrong here.

Roderick Strong vs. Michael Elgin ***1/2
Jay Lethal vs. Rhino **1/2
RD Evans vs. Prince Nana **1/4
Wrestling's Greatest Tag Team vs. Rhett Titus & BJ Whitmer ***1/4
Mike Bennett vs. Jerry Lynn **1/4
Kyle O'Reilly & Bobby Fish vs. The American Wolves ***1/2
Matt Hardy vs. Adam Cole ***1/4
Caprice Coleman & Cedric Alexander vs. The Briscoes vs. S.C.U.M. **
El Generico vs. Kevin Steen ****1/4

#205 ·
I don't think I've watched an ROH show since WM weekend. I'd probably give this a go, but it just seems full of gimmickry; garbage matches, comedy matches and screwy finishes in the matches that looked purer on paper.

Regardless of the execution, I don't really get what the direction is anymore.

#206 ·
Roderick Strong vs. Michael Elgin
I loved this start to the show, right into a story of 2 guys with an issue. Having not watched any ROH for months, I really enjoyed the ending with them scrambling for the book and then both turning Truth Martini down.

Jay Lethal vs. Rhino
Again, having not seen any ROH for months, I really enjoyed seeing Jay Lethal's character progression in the highlight packages and then put into action last night. He seems to be a lot better placed for a main event run now, whether that be as champion or as a supporting member.

RD Evans vs. Prince Nana
Is RD Evans the marching band guy from Chikara? This match was kinda fun but a drag. I couldn't wait for it to be over and enjoyed seeing the return of Tomoasso Ciampa...not that I knew he'd ever gone anywhere!

Wrestling's Greatest Tag Team vs. Rhett Titus & BJ Whitmer
This match screamed out ECW to me, maybe partly because of the violence involved in the match but mainly to do with the fun atmosphere the match brought. With Titus bringing in the giant stocking and the candy canes. Then with the introduction to the tree too the match, it had a real fun feel with the backdrop of violence. I really enjoyed the bait and switch from WGTT where the fans chanted for the tree to be used, they picked it up and then just tossed it to the outside, nice bit of a easy heat. Also, DATBUMP Whitmer going head first through the table :eek: Kevin Kelly's reaction made it even better, showing his genuine concern for him as he lay prone in the ring afterwards.

Mike Bennett vs. Jerry Lynn
Lynn's last (ROH) stand was decent. I did NOT realise he's 49 years old, he still doesn't look a day over 40 to be honest. It's interesting how they're continually feeding these old timers/indy legends to Mike Bennett in attempt to get him more over + it seems to be working. The fans still chanting about CM Punk during his matches is a little tiresome though #SameOldShit

Kyle O'Reilly & Bobby Fish vs. The American Wolves
I used to think Davey Richards was one of the best workers in the world and along with popular opinion, my opinion has changed over the last couple of years and I've followed like a sheep, to the point where I can't really enjoy his matches any more. It was nice seeing him and Edwards back together and also really good seeing O'Reilly and Fish heeling it up by giving Mondo a beating (which I kinda marked for, Mondo was sooo cringeworthy in his promo that I both wondered why it'd even been given show time + wanted it to end as quickly as it started)

Matt Hardy vs. Adam Cole
How out of place did Matt Hardy look here? It's so obvious to all that if it wasn't for his name in the industry then he wouldn't have had this place in the show. A part of me thinks that Ricky Steamboat would have looked more at home in the ROH ring than him last night as his tubby frame attempted to keep up with the younger, fitter Cole. That being said I enjoyed the match and really dug the ending, although I thought they should have made more of the honour aspect during the show and match, just so that when he broke it, it would be a dastardly heel move. Where as in reality it seemed to get less of a reaction that I thought it deserved.

Caprice Coleman & Cedric Alexander vs. The Briscoes vs. S.C.U.M.
Standard, 3 team tag match here. I enjoyed it throughout but it never really got me too excited about what I was seeing. Crazy how the Briscoes have had the ROH tag-titles 8 times now. It kind of has the feeling that whenever they're stuck, they just go back to them to try and make the division seem better than it actually is.

El Generico vs. Kevin Steen
You know what to expect from a "Ladder War" don't you. This one delivered just that, nothing more, nothing less. I was quite shocked that Steen actually won. It seemed fully set that this would be Generico's time and would have been the feel good moment to end the show and kind of give all us fans something to look forward to, wondering where they'd go from here. I guess they think they can get more out of the Steen cow before putting him to pasture.

#207 ·
El Generico vs. Kevin Steen
You know what to expect from a "Ladder War" don't you. This one delivered just that, nothing more, nothing less. I was quite shocked that Steen actually won. It seemed fully set that this would be Generico's time and would have been the feel good moment to end the show and kind of give all us fans something to look forward to, wondering where they'd go from here. I guess they think they can get more out of the Steen cow before putting him to pasture.
Steen/Lethal, no doubt.

#210 ·
First ROH show I have watched since BITW 2012. It was a decent overall show actually, though Hardy winning left a real sour taste in my mouth. I imagine we will see a rematch, possibly during Wrestlemania weekend.

Elgin/Strong *** (Good opener. Imagine this will be the first in a long line of matches between the two)
Rhino/Lethal **
Nana/Evans 1/2*
NYC Street Fight **1/2
Bennett/Lynn * (Didn't care though...I did care about Maria's ass though)
Wolves/Fish & O'Reilly ***1/2 (Pretty damn fun tag match. I really like O'Reilly and Fish as a team, wouldn't mind them winning the tag titles at some point. Also good to see the Wolves back)
Hardy/Cole **1/4
SCUM/Briscoes/C&C *1/2 (Meh. Didn't care for this)
Steen/Generico ***3/4-**** (I wasn't BLOWN away by this if I'm being honest. Had some great moments for sure, crazy ending but I just didn't feel the hate compared to their match 2 years ago)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.