Wrestling Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Official DVD/Match/Show Discussion Thread

2M views 21K replies 512 participants last post by  Starbuck 
#1 ·
#11,201 ·

For six years WCW Monday Nitro went head-to-head with WWE Raw pulling out all the stops to gain the upper hand in the escalating Monday Night War. The place “where the big boys play” produced such a wealth of non-stop thrills action drama and controversy that we could not possibly scratch the surface in one volume. Host Diamond Dallas Page returns to present Volume 2 of the wildly successful Best of WCW Nitro series. Sports entertainment fans will relive eight more hours of the poisonous n.W.o electrifying cruiserweights and unparalleled star power that delivered an endless supply of timeless matches and moments. All the greatest WCW stars are included such as Ric Flair Hulk Hogan Sting Kevin Nash Rey Mysterio Eric Bischoff Goldberg and more. Plus check out the Nitro Girls Nitro parties WCW’s spring break bashes celebrity integration and several matches never-before-released on DVD.
Pretty cool cover.

#11,202 ·
Just realized the list of DVDs that I purchased for Christmas ;

- Superstar Collection ; Randy Orton
- HIAC 12
- The Attitude Era
- RAW 1000
- Unforgiven 2007
- Survivor Series 2007
- Summerslam 2007
- No Way Out 2007
- Cyber Sunday 2007
- Royal Rumble 2004
- Royal Rumble 2008
- Wrestlemania XXIII
- Wrestlemania XXIV
- Wrestlemania XXV
- Wrestlemania XXVI
- Wrestlemania : The Complete Anthology 1-21

Still gotta cop the KOFI DVD, NWO 12, and SS 12 to complete my 12 collection. THAT'S A LOT OF FUCKING MATCHES TO WATCH. I still have this to watch in my current collection ;

- WCCW
- ECW Unreleased VOL 1
- RVD : One of a Kind

When I'm done my HHH-HBK project I'm gonna POUND these DVDS in and crank out some more reviews before Christmas... I want NOTHING left to watch in my collection come the 25th of December. So essentially, what'll be watching before Christmas (minus the second PROJECT I'll be doing ;) ) is 90 percent NON-WWE matches. Fucking ECW.... I had enough psychology-less wrestling from ARM 02 last night :lol ... I've said too much ! :hhh

#11,203 ·
BORK LASER'S best opponents from the current roster would be...

Bryan: It's lesnar as the goliath and bryan as the david. Bryan's an amazing babyface and Brock's an awesome dominant monster heel. Think Lesnar/Mysterio. Bryan can make Lesnar's offense look absolutely brutal, and Bryan's babyface comeback against lesnar would be incredible.

Taker: IT'S THE FUCKING UNDERTAKER

Sheamus: Just two big guys throwing bombs at eachother, think Sheamus/Big Show or Taker/Batista.

#11,204 ·
I would think the only real candidates are Taker/Rock/Cena/HHH/Punk. Nobody else is really on that level. Maybe Ryback.
Orton is, specially if you give Ryback a "maybe". I don't care how bad his booking has been in the past year, but Orton still has credibility and is over with the audience. Therefore, he can easily have a match with Lesnar without looking weak.

#11,206 ·
Yeah, I was furious when Cena went over him so Ryback going over would be even worse. Then again, it's all about business so I can see it happening.

Which have you done so far?

edit @ Mr Hands - I think we were talking about a collective forum GOAT list based on a set of criteria. Of course your own personal list will be subjective.
I've only reviewed the MSG house show match from 1993. Other matches after that have pretty shitty quality.

#11,209 ·
JackEvans187, put Brock with ANY of those guys on your list and you got a ****+ match and a MOTY contender on your hands. Whatever match Lesnar wrestles @ Mania will be a Top 5 MOTY unless he faces Ryback. Remember that I said this in the future when it comes true :p

My list of BROCK dream matches at this point (guys that he hasn't wrestled before) :

- Punk
- Sheamus
- Bryan
- Jericho

As long as it's not Brock-Ryback , they cant possibly fuck up his match at Mania for me. He just has such an easily adaptable style that can work with any guy. Him VS nearly anybody on the fucking roster, whether it be part-time or full time. The only guys I can see him taking on @ Mania would be Rock/Taker/Cena/Trips though. They wouldn't POSSIBLY try to fuck up what could be a GOAT PPV by having him job to Ryback.... The Goldberg comparisons would be INSANE :p

#11,213 ·
Set needs to be more DDP, Benoit (oh wait...), Guerrero (Eddie, not that other one. Seriously, can we have Benoit back on sets and just get rid of Chavo?)... and some others somewhere :p.
Somebody needs to kidnap whoever makes the DVDs and under gunpoint, force them to put in as much Benoit as possible. I wish I could have invisible and teleporting abilities. I would make my way to the arenas during WWE shows and mess with the production stuff and play Benoit's entrance & music as well as put out "cryptic messages" about him on the tron, lol.

#11,214 · (Edited)
Just in regards to the GOAT list discussion, and using ratings to make it objective: why would you even want your personal GOAT list to be objective? Surely subjectivity is the point?
Wrestling skill is so subjective though. What if I prefer Savage's character work in his matches over say Steven Regal's technical wrestling or mat work skills? Do I rank Regal higher because he's technically the better wrestler? I guess it will always be a subjective discussion. An interesting discussion none-the-less.
I think the subjectivity is what makes matches and workers fun to talk about. Drawing power is largely fact. It's a fact that Steve Austin drew more than Fit Finlay, but I won't really upright say it's a fact that Bob Backlund is a better wrestler/worker than Kurt Angle, even if I believe it. I mean I wouldn't have an opinion unless I thought there was truth to it, but I can't look at someone who says Angle > Backlund and say 'wrong, here are the numbers'. You can kind of do that drawing power. It's based off of fact and that is kind of boring. I can't look at Buddy Rose's drawing power in Portland and decide whether I like it or not because there's nothing to like or dislike. I can look at Buddy Rose's matches and promos and decide whether I like them or not. Drawing power factors for greatest, but not for favourites.

It also determines how you view 'wrestler'. My idea of 'wrestler/worker' isn't limited to technical skill, it's overall how they perform in a match. Whether they're working mostly shtick, working the mat, brawling, primarily in the air or working the big time main event of WrestleMania, they're still 'wrestling' to me. I think Randy Savage is a better wrestler than Bryan Danielson, but isn't the better mat/'technical' wrestler. The same way Rey Msyterio is a better wrestler than Mick Foley but isn't as good a brawler as Mick.

But if someone DID think Rey was a better brawler than Mick, it can be talked about. Why is Rey better? Examples of Rey being better? What does Rey better in brawls than Foley? This can be argued. Drawing isn't exactly set in stone, but there are numbers and figures, and subjectivity is mostly thrown out of the window. There's little room for argument. The Rock drew more than Sting. I can't argue against that. "Why did the Rock draw more" can't really be asked, can it? As in there's nothing anyone can say to show Sting drew more fans and sold more whatever because it just isn't true. You can't subjectively say Sting's merchandise moved better than the Rock's". I can argue Sting was a far better worker, and "why was Sting a better worker?" can be asked. You CAN subjectively say Sting has better matches and performances.

#11,215 ·
Orton is, specially if you give Ryback a "maybe". I don't care how bad his booking has been in the past year, but Orton still has credibility and is over with the audience. Therefore, he can easily have a match with Lesnar without looking weak.
Only problem is given Orton's injury-prone nature, Brock's offense might literally break Orton in half... :troll

Now that someone has mentioned it, I'd be way down for BROCK/Bryan.

I've only reviewed the MSG house show match from 1993. Other matches after that have pretty shitty quality.
Ladder matches plz.

#11,218 ·
They'd need to drop the comedy gimmick to make it believable, as BROCK always brings a sense of reality to his matches, especially 2012's version of Lesnar. I'm hoping this current feud w/The Shield will help that transition, whether it's a long shot for Bryan to face Lesnar or not.

#11,219 ·
2001 Royal Rumble

WWF Tag Team Championship: Edge & Christian vs. The Dudley Boyz
The match followed the tag formula pretty much but was still has awesome action, good psychology, nice wrestling, frequent tags. The fake hot tag was GREAT, along with E&C's heel tactics and bumping. Hot opener for the crowd. ***1/2

ladder match for the WWF Intercontinental Championship: Chris Benoit vs. Chris Jericho
This still holds up as one of the all time CLASSICS, Some of the best innovative offense you`ll ever see with the ladder mixed with the best bumping in my opinion. Just straight balls-to-the-wall action and from bell to bell and I know people shit on the ending cause both guys are overselling but C'MON they beat the shit out of each other with every moves being more violent than the last nothing wrong with selling huge bumps, this is not the indies. ****3/4

Yeah i didn't watch Chyna/Ivory

WWF Heavyweight Championship: Kurt Angle (w/Trish Stratus) vs. Triple H (w/Stephanie McMahon-Helmsley)
This was allot better than i remembered it being, but it took a while to really get going HHH's legwork was pretty damn good just a shame Angle no solid it Same goes for the Arm work Angle did to HHH. There are some issues I wish could have been changed. Hunter randomly low blows Angle to get him down from the middle rope in the middle of the match. The ref randomly looks away at the very moment it happens. If that wasn't bad enough, the commentators can't understand why the ref didn't DQ Hunter when it happened right in front of him. It's a stupid moment made worse by the commentators. And the Steph/Trish catfight was legit 3/5 minutes long C'MON. ***1/2 Overbooking stupidity and crowd apathy aside, this was much better worked than the Unforgiven match.

Rumble Match
As many of you know i really don't rate battle royals, mainly cause they don't tell stories and stuff like that but one in a while a Rumble match has all of those thing and this was one of them. This had some comedy stuff with Drew Carey and ****** Tonk Man, which as cheesy as they were i enjoyed it. 3 pretty cool returns aswell Haku, The ****** Tonk Man and The Big Show. They even spotlighted the Hardcore division with Snow, Raven, KANE and a few other having some nice interactions. But after that this got REAL cause Rock came out and things kicked into another gear. They also used the Rumble to take HHH/Austins feud to another level, as Austin comes out HHH attacks him and busts him open so it looks like Austin has no chance, just to come back and win it. JR putting Austin's heart and willingness to win never gets boring. But with that being said KANE was the MVP of this match. Seriously KANE was in '97-98 mode and dominated any and everyone that came into the match i think he was in the match for like 56-58 minutes and it's the best he's ever looked. ****1/2 - ****3/4

Super fun PPV

#11,220 ·
Just got done with the 14/10/05 Smackdown episode and there were two quality matches to get out of it.

Booker T vs Christian vs JBL vs Rey Mysterio - ***1/4
Eddie Guerrero vs Randy Orton - ***1/4

The latter would have been such an awesome program and in a lengthier PPV match. Sucks that Eddie had to leave this world so soon.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.