• Meisha Tate

Votes: 58 59.2%
Status
Not open for further replies.

MMA Discussion Thread

247K views 6K replies 249 participants last post by  InTheAirTonight 
#1 ·
Amazing new and fresh MMA thread.

Walls loves Faber or something like that.

MMA needs more roundhouses.

#1,988 ·
This video gave me goosebumps, instantly made me want to watch that card. I love this whole documentary look thing UFC are doing in their stuff recently, it's done wonders for TUF in my opinion.

Also, war Hunt.

#1,994 ·
Dana on Fitch's release:

"This is a fucking sport, just like any other sport," said UFC President Dana White after the UFC 157 press conference (watch that here) earlier this afternoon. "It's just like Major League Baseball, NFL, NBA or any other sport.... I was reading on Twitter that this is a travesty, like it's a tidal wave that hit the biggest populated place on fucking planet Earth and wiped out tons of women and children and tons of innocent people. Give me a fucking break. This is a sport just like any other sport. (Charles) Woodson just got cut! The Green Bay Packers just cut Woodson, okay? And, one million other guys are getting cut, traded and everything else."

"Jon Fitch is ranked number nine," White explained. "He was ranked number one, he fought for the title, he was ranked number two, he was ranked number three, six, seven and now he is nine. That’s called the downside of your career. He’s on the downside. He’s lost two fights, one draw and won one fight."

"The response that Jon Fitch has had is awesome -- I'm glad that many people are behind him and support him," he said. "That's not a bad thing -- good for him. And guess what's going to happen? He will end up at Bellator -- or one of these other organizations -- and he will win a world title. He will smash every single guy over there."

"People say all the time that I hated Jon Fitch and I've hated him forever and he’s been waiting to cut him since the video game deal," he said. "Are you fucking shitting me? There is nobody in the history of this business that I hated more than Tito Ortiz.... He ended his career in the UFC.... No hard feelings. This whole Jon Fitch vs. Dana battle is so fucking overrated. I don’t have one ounce of hate for Jon Fitch. I don’t. I don’t hate the guy at all, I don’t even dislike him. Not even a little bit. I like Jon Fitch."

Funny, considering Wandi has one of the worst UFC records, has been on the downside for 5 fucking years and he's main eventing a card soon.

#1,998 · (Edited)
He shouldn't lose his job because Uncle Dana doesn't like his style. Sonnen has the same grinding style as Fitch does, yet he's fucking everywhere. And yes, Chael is far more marketable than Fitch before anyone says anything. But that shouldn't matter. Fitch's cut isn't justifiable when you have guys like Wandi main eventing. Dana has been on a "I hate wrestlers" kick for awhile now and that's a main reason Fitch got cut. To say it isn't is bullshit. Wandi still has a job. That nullifies everything Dana said about Fitch.

#1,999 · (Edited)
Dana saying that he cut a guy ranked 9th in the UFC Welterweight division because he's on the "downside" of his career is one of the stupidest things I've ever heard. He lost to Damian Maia whose been on a MASSIVE tear as of late, a lucky 13 second punch against Hendricks, and a draw against BJ which I personally thought he won. On top of that, he had one of the best fights of the year vs. Erick Silva.

LOL at "downside". Fitch is still easily Top 10, maybe even Top 5, and can beat 90% of people in that division. "Downside" my ass. He had no right to be cut, and I'll always hold this decision against Dana, as much as I love him.

EDIT: Dana apparently said that they're going to be doing 100 more cuts. And he also said that if Faber loses to Menjivar this Saturday, he'll likely be cut too. If true, then HOLY FUCK to both those things.

#2,002 ·
:faber

If he gets cut that would be the biggest load of shit. In the UFC he's lost to 2 guys, Dominic Cruz and Renan Barao who are both legit. Still i hope they do start cutting fighters and Bellator seize this opportunity to rise up and give the UFC some proper competition which is sorely lacking. The road the UFC seems to be taking is going to steer it so far away from a proper sport its not funny.

Also cutting a top 10 guy is retarded no matter what. If a guy ranked 15th in the world loses, do you cut him? Fuck Dana makes some questionable decisions sometimes.

#2,005 ·
That Faber thing was apparently misconstrued. At least that's what I gathered from the Dana/Ariel interview.

sounds like the UFC just has way too many guys. Probably because of the Strikeforce fold.

Figured something like this might happen. STF was just too big.

as for Fitch. I just don't know.

#2,006 ·
I watched the post media scrum with Dana and guys asked him about Garcia and Hardy and he basically ignored those questions and kept saying Fitch was on a down slide. Then he kept bringing up the rankings, which again, he has said many times now are not the internal rankings at all which are the ones that really matter anyway at the end of the day. So that shouldn't be a factor. His other excuse was that Fitch is expensive and that him getting the decision win over someone like Silva proved he was on the down slide. What? Annoyed me how he basically ignored the Garcia questions and his logic doesn't make sense.

Watched the last episode of Primetime, these were the best ones they have done by far. But I get the sense that Ronda is breaking, I can see it in her eyes. She keeps saying over and over again that she can handle it, blah blah and I know it's cliche as fuck to say, but I can see it in her eyes that it's wearing on her. That doesn't mean she won't go out on Saturday and snap Liz's arm in half, mind you. And even if it has broken her a bit, it's understandable. She's under fuck tons of pressure constantly. And I have no idea how she functions on the diet she has, either. Doesn't seem healthy at all but I guess it is for her.

#2,007 · (Edited)
I get that Fitch is an expensive fighter for the UFC, especially considering he's not doing well lately, but as the UFC you want to have the best fighters in the business in every weight class and Fitch fits that profile. He kept glancing over Fitch winning against Silva, saying Silva had never fought in the UFC before so it didn't really count. If you look at the overall picture Fitch deserved at least one more fight, but I understand the money aspect of it all. I wish journalists would stand up against Dana's bullshit sometimes.

About the Dan Hardy thing, he said Hardy goes out there and tries to put on entertaining fights and knock people out. That's why he was kept around. I get that reason too, but Fitch just fought in a fight of the night. Fitch lost twice against tough opponents, Hardy lost like, what, 3 fights in a row? Not even against the best either. Hardy is being kept around 'cause of his marketability in England.

#2,008 ·
I'm sure Fitch earns a lot more money than Garcia and even Hardy.

Us fans don't know exactly how much they get paid and Fitch moving down from (co)main event level to the mid card, his manager probably wouldn't agree to a pay cut n Dana be all like fuck you try get paid this much money elsewhere. Just my guess.

#2,010 ·
It's a pretty strange situation but I can see the thought process. I'm not saying that I agree with it. Fitch is a legit top 10 WW. The UFC shouldn't be cutting anyone that loses two fights to top 5 talent, but with the influx of new fighters and the overabundance of contracts (100 more than they should have); it makes business sense to cut a guy who's earning big money, not bringing any in, producing boring fights, and slipping down the rankings.

I have to say I much preferred the 3 fight losing streak method though. It seems incredibly harsh to cut a guy after 1 loss. Especially a TOP fighter.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.