Wrestling Forum : WWE, TNA, Debate League, Wrestling Videos, Women of Wrestling Forums - View Single Post - SmackDown in 2008

View Single Post

Old 12-10-2012, 05:52 PM   #1 (permalink)
LeCutlock
Learning to break kayfabe

LeCutlock
Default SmackDown in 2008

Honestly, early till mid 2008 was probably the best time period that SmackDown has ever had. Although it's disputable as to when SmackDown had been better than RAW. This period here, the big blue brand was better. On RAW we had the whole John Cena - Triple H - Randy Orton rivalry and a short program with Jeff Hardy at the beginning of the year. On SmackDown, the main events were perfect as well. Honestly, the best I think RAW did back then was John Cena vs Jeff Hardy.

At the beginning of the year, we had a nice two month Rey Mysterio-Edge feud which was good because it had nice matches and was, essentially, a prelude to the Edge-Undertaker feud. That feud was so good that it headlined WrestleMania that year. The Edge Vickie relationship was actually a good heel development, unlike that crap that's happening with Ziggler right now. Then the return of the Elimination Chamber? God, while both were good, I will settle for RAW having the better one.

Let's move on to Backlash. The Matt Hardy and MVP feud was probably the best feud for the US Title since Booker T and Benoit. While I will agree Orton vs HHH in the Steel Cage was better than Taker vs Edge III, Orton vs HHH in a Last Man Standing match was not better than Taker vs Edge in a TLC match.

Again, Edge vs Batista was better than HHH vs Cena. Then the whole transition putting the wWe title into SmackDown was fantastic, while the HHH vs Edge feud was less than stellar, it did help pave way for the BEST match of the year, Edge vs Undertaker in a Hell in a Cell match.

And then it went to hell for Smackdown until Punk and Hardy. And in hell we remain.

But that is why 2008 was SmackDown's year, it beat RAW for most of the year and I believe it was a better year than the years of Lesnar's SmackDown. 2008 was the best year in the world as we know it.
LeCutlock is offline   Reply With Quote