Not open for further replies.

Official DVD/Match/Show Discussion Thread

2M views 21K replies 512 participants last post by  Starbuck 
#1 ·
#10,502 · (Edited)
As a huge fan of both guys, my opinion:

In-ring - Punk.
Mic - Punk.
Face - Edge easily. Punk has never been a great face and Edge could play the role so naturally, just look at his work in Edge and Christian, his time from 2001-2003 and his final few years as a face. Much better. Face punk feels forced.
Heel - Tie. Edge in 2006 was better than anything in Punk's career, but Edge as heel in 2007/2008 I wasn't as big on. Punk's SES work and current work makes this a tie for me imo.
Character - Edge. His Rated R superstar in it's prime in 2006 was better than anything Punk's done, as previously said.
Feuds - Edge. Edge/Cena and Edge/Matt Hardy I enjoyed more than Punk/Jeff Hardy or Punk/Cena.
Look - Edge without question.

#10,503 ·
I don't consider any of the matches that have taken place at the HIAC PPV real HIAC matches tbh. The whole concept of putting a match like that on PPV annually is so ass backwards and retarded. I hate it. HATE IT.
I agree. From the HIAC PPV, the only feuds that needed a match with that structure were Orton/Cena and Kane/Taker. Both lengthy feuds that had been going on for quite a while. The most retarded of them has to be this year with Ryback and Punk, though. It's Ryback's first PPV main event and he's in a freaking HIAC? How ass-backwards is that?

#10,504 ·
They really do need to stop with Gimmick Match PPV's. RR is perfect and will likely always be around while the company is still going. EC doesn't bother me at all because at least it makes the RTWM that bit more interesting when you aren't quite sure who is leaving the match champion, or #1 contender if they go that route. The rest can fuck off. At least they already put an end to Fatal Four Way :p. Get rid of HIAC for sure, and TLC. If they insist on another gimmick PPV, use the Scamble match as one. I liked that concept. Plus its more of an EC use of a gimmick which I'm ok with. They can do a tournament leading up to it to decide participants or something, then have the title match. No need to create some random arse feud and then throw them into something like HIAC just because that happens to be the next PPV. Scramble match works fine for the random match booking WWE likes these days.

#10,505 ·
I really wish they would just scrap all these gimmick PPV's. All they do is destroy the well built legacies of everything around them. The Chamber PPV has really weakened the Rumble, MITB has all but ruined the world titles, HIAC has ruined HIAC and lets not forget the ever perilous FATAL 4 WAY MATCH ZOMG THE HORROR!!!!! I hate that WWE seem so perfectly content with destroying the very foundations of what made them successful in the past. Fuckers.

#10,506 ·
The only "GIMMICK" PPVs really left are TLC and HIAC , no question. Minor ones would be NOC (every title must be defended) but it's not a problem at all, Extreme Rules (Every match must have extreme rules of some sort, serves as a feud extender from Mania) , Elimination Chamber works as it's just NWO with a different name, NWO is just one cage match main event which isn't a big deal.

HIAC is my least favorite PPV of the year and for good reason. TLC is usually just a fun show that has no real seriousness to it at all.

#10,507 ·
The only current gimmick PPV I like is TLC. Probably because TLC is my favorite match type and we're nearly always guaranteed a good TLC and ladder match. Don't really care for tables matches, and a chairs match can fuck off lol. Elimination Chamber is also an ok gimmick PPV, as the match quality is usually good and they tend to actually use the chamber. Which brings me to the HIAC PPV, yeah that should go. They hardly make any use of the Cell and most of time the feud isn't really as intense to warrant the use of a HIAC. Gimmick PPV's like Fatal Four Way and Breaking Point were just the worst imo.

#10,513 ·
Here's how you fix Edge's heat and actually keep him interesting...

- Edge wins the title at NYR and WWE says "FUCK, we have to keep this momentum going even though the plan is HHH-Cena"

- Batista goes down a little later and WWE says "FUCK, we were gonna do Orton-Batista, WTF do we do now?"

- Triple H comes over to Smackdown and wins the WHC again in a battle royal, turning tweenish/faceish in the effort.

- Rey Mysterio wins the Royal Rumble

- Kurt Angle challenges the streak

Wrestlemania XXII

WWE Championship : Edge(c) vs John Cena
World Heavyweight Championship : Triple H (C) vs Rey Mysterio (PERHAPS vs Randy Orton)
Kurt Angle vs The Undertaker

- Edge is happy because he gets to main event Wrestlemania with a ridiculous amount of momentum
- Cena is happy because he gets to take the title back at Mania
- Rey still gets the title and is still happy
- Angle/Taker get their streak match
- HHH is happy because he gets another world title
- Orton is happy because he gets to ****-erotically tangle it up with Triple H.

HOW DID THEY FUCK THIS UP.
I would have liked to have seen them do the Backlash main event at WrestleMania if they wanted to keep Edge's momentum as WWE Champion going. I say this because Cena making HHH tap out in the main event was huge and I believe creative/McMahon felt that was more important than how hot Edge was at the time. In hindsight, Cena beating Trips was a great decision for the face of the company even at the expense of a longer title reign for Edge.

My card

Edge/Cena/Trips WWE Title
Orton/Mysterio World Title (Orton would have won the SD battle royal instead of Angle)
Angle/Undertaker
Benoit/Finlay US Title
Foley/JBL Hardcore Match (I think this feud would have been cool (the promos!) and lead to the ECW show)

Rest of the card I'd keep the same only putting Booker in MITB

#10,514 ·
.......... Grinch :(

#10,517 ·
Bored and it's the subject of discussion :lmao

Cena/Edge
Orton/Rey
HHH/Flair
Taker/Angle
HBK/RVD
Finlay/Benoit/Regal - Why not? :eek:
Trish/Mickie
MITB
Kash/Noble
Maybe KaneShow/MNM Brand supremacy or something if there's time
That's an interesting choice. They had that little Raw main event in 02 with the screwy finish involving HHH but I certainly would have been interested in more build and a PPV match between those Mr. WrestleMania and Mr. Pay Per View.

#10,518 ·
That's an interesting choice. They had that little Raw main event in 02 with the screwy finish involving HHH but I certainly would have been interested in more build and a PPV match between those Mr. WrestleMania and Mr. Pay Per View.
Yeah. I did it basically because I personally would have had a Smackdown guy win MITB - probably Matt Hardy - so that the SD main event scene would have a new, fresh face rather than King fucking Booker. So having RVD against Michaels would have slingshotted RVD in to stardom with a good, long programme between the two. It also gets rid of that horrible (in my opinion) Shawn/McMahon feud. Kills three birds with one stone, so to speak.

It's baffling how much of a letdown Mania 22 was, and what it could have been with the talent that they had.

#10,519 ·
I actually forgot about McMahon/Michaels when I thinking about how I would re-work the card. I didn't enjoy the feud but the match at Mania was better than I expected. Michaels/RVD sounds great though. Not so sure about Matt winning MITB though. Maybe out of the guys left when you take out RVD he may be the best option. RVD was a perfect choice especially with what they did with the cash-in at One Night Stand.

#10,520 ·
You wanna talk about rebooking WM22? My fantasy booking of it would have guaranteed the greatest PPV ever!

Wrestlemania 22:

World Tag Team Championship: Kane & Big Show (c) vs Carlito & Chris Masters
Winner: Kane & Big Show

Money in the Bank: Finlay vs Matt Hardy vs Shelton Benjamin vs Mark Henry vs Ric Flair vs Rob Van Dam
Winner: Rob Van Dam

Hardcore Match: Edge vs Mick Foley
Winner: Edge

US Championship: Booker T (c) vs JBL
Winner: JBL

Women's Championship: Trish Stratus (c) vs Mickie James
Winner: Mickie James

Interpromotional Match: Shawn Michaels (Raw) vs Eddie Guerrero (Smackdown)
Winner: Eddie Guerrero

Streak Match: The Undertaker vs Chris Benoit
Winner: The Undertaker

Grudge Match: Bret Hart vs Vince McMahon
Winner: Bret Hart

World Heavyweight Championship: Kurt Angle (c) vs Rey Mysterio vs Randy Orton
Winner: Rey Mysterio

WWE Championship: John Cena (c) vs Triple H
Winner: John Cena

Battle of the Legends: "Stone Cold" Steve Austin vs Hulk Hogan
Winner: Steve Austin

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.