Wrestling Forum banner

Wrestlemania 30: Austin Vs. Punk or Cena Vs. Undertaker?

10K views 64 replies 42 participants last post by  scrilla 
#1 ·
There can be only one main event for the greatest Wrestlemania EVER! Simply put, what would be the bigger match?

- Vic

#34 ·
Hey guys I don't know if you heard, but Vince wants to do Punk vs. Undertaker at WM 29 and then follow it up by doing a rematch of Punk vs. Undertaker at WM 30. But on to the topic of the question. Under normal circumstances I would say Cena vs. Undertaker is a bigger drawing match than Punk vs. Austin if we operated under the assumption that Austin was not coming out of retirement. But I think Austin coming out of retirement in a match against Punk would be considered a big deal by fans and the major reason people would buy wrestlemania not Undertaker vs. Cena unless it was Undertaker's last match then there could be some debate there.

#35 ·
Hey guys I don't know if you heard, but Vince wants to do Punk vs. Undertaker at WM 29 and then follow it up by doing a rematch of Punk vs. Undertaker at WM 30. But on to the topic of the question. Under normal circumstances I would say Cena vs. Undertaker is a bigger drawing match than Punk vs. Austin if we operated under the assumption that Austin was not coming out of retirement. But I think Austin coming out of retirement in a match against Punk would be considered a big deal by fans and the major reason people would buy wrestlemania not Undertaker vs. Cena unless it was Undertaker's last match then there could be some debate there.
Source?

And about Taker/Cena & Austin/Punk....well, of course Vince can book Austin/Punk as main event, but if Cena/Taker goes before Austin/Punk then, at best, Austin/Punk will receive a similar crowd reaction to Orton/HHH at WM 25.

#40 ·
His first match back would be pretty big. But I'm not just basing it on that, but the fact that you people are highly overrating the appeal of Cena v Taker. It doesn't sound like a match that could even be all that good, even not taking into the account the riot inducing ending sure to happen. There is at least an aura of possibility around Punk/Austin.

But in all fairness, at this point I wouldn't mind a Punk/Taker. Or maybe by WM30 someone like Ziggler or Bryan will be a big enough name to make a believable opponent. But for Cena... that ship has passed. He doesn't need the win and to break the streak. And on the unlikely chance he loses, most likely we'd have gotten a pretty mediocre match that accomplished nothing. Cena/Taker is pretty much as lose/lose as a match can get.

#43 ·
Cena vs Taker would be good but i would personally like to see Austin vs Punk more

#45 ·
Cena v Taker

By this time Punk's days will be coming to an end (we all know about his desire to retire early), and Cena will likely be starting his heel turn.

One has implications for the future the other doesn't.

In term what would draw more I'd give Austin v Punk the edge, but the Main Event is definetily Cena v Taker.,

#46 ·
Cena vs Taker in a I Quit match at Wrestlemania would draw like a motherfucker. Would be legendary, it's still the only thing that can make us think Undertaker might lose somehow, since Cena 'Never Gives Up'

#49 ·
Taker/Cena (biggest match featuring only WWE superstars... even though Taker has hardly appeared the past couple of years, he still feels like a part of the WWE), though that and Rock/Lesnar (biggest mainstream match WWE can put together) are the only matches that should ever main event over Punk/Austin.

#52 · (Edited)
If we're talking which match headlines Wrestlemania as in, last match on the card, then it's Austin and Punk. No question. Austin isn't going to wrestle again unless he's the last match on the card and rightfully so. Besides, does Undertaker usually headline Wrestlemania? No he doesn't. Trips and Taker got shafted over John Cena vs The Miz as the main event for pete's sake.

Undertaker wrestles once a year. Austin hasn't wrestled in years. It doesn't matter which match people will care more about or which match will be better because if Austin comes back for Wrestlemania, HE WILL BE THE LAST MATCH. Period.

And I would rather it be Austin and Punk anyway. They can have just as good of a match, and the ending would be less predictable. There is no way in hell Cena is taking the streak. It can still be the number 2 match on the PPV.

#56 ·
totally wrong here, if they do cena/taker and cena somehow ends the streak there is absolutely no way any match will take place after that, the streak ending would definitely be last. Over anything

#55 ·
Austin vs Punk
Taker vs Cena
Brock vs Rock

i think were gonna get all 3 nxt year

#58 ·
WWE will try and make WM 30 the greatest ppv of all time, without a doubt. Therefore I believe that they will go with the triple main event matches of Austin/Punk, Cena/Taker and Rock/Brock if they all are available. Add other talents such as Jericho, Bryan, Ziggler, Orton, Sheamus, Barrett, HHH etc in great matches and this could have an outstanding card.
As to the question in the thread title, both matches would be huge if they happened and would both deserve to close the show. But if I had to choose one it would be Cena v Taker as I think WWE have been holding this match off for years in order to close this huge 30th edition of "the show of shows".

#59 ·
Punk vs austin
Cena vs undertaker
Brock vs. Rock
WWE title unification,Ryback(Rumble Winner) vs. orton(WWE champ) vs. sheamus(World champ)

#64 ·
LOL @ Rock vs Bryan. Why the hell would you wanna see that match? Bryan's not nearly on the level of Rock in starpower or physique, not to mention it wouldn't make for a good match either (See Royal Rumble 2013 if you want to know how Rock's matches with smaller opponents end up like)

To the op, we all wanna see Punk vs Austin, but Taker vs Cena will be much much bigger IMO. There is no way Punk/Austin is main eventing over Taker/Cena.

WM 30:

Undertaker vs John Cena (wouldn't mind a huge swerve where Cena turns heel and ends the streak)

Cm Punk vs Steve Austin

The Rock vs Brock Lesnar

Shane McMahon vs Triple-H in a No Holds Barred Match for the control of WWE

Chris Jericho vs Daniel Bryan

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.