Wrestling Forum : WWE, TNA, Debate League, Wrestling Videos, Women of Wrestling Forums - View Single Post - Favorite Asian wrestlers?

View Single Post

Old 12-04-2012, 06:42 PM   #29 (permalink)
Mr.Socko2101
Getting molested by Bill DeMott

Mr.Socko2101 251 - 500Mr.Socko2101 251 - 500Mr.Socko2101 251 - 500Mr.Socko2101 251 - 500Mr.Socko2101 251 - 500
Default Re: Favorite Asian wrestlers?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catsaregreat View Post
This is one of the things thats irked me for a long time, is how the WWE hasnt had a huge asian superstar. The asian market is so big and go crazy over anyone that makes a splash in the states (ala Jeremy Lin) one would think the WWE would be trying to break into that market. Instead every asian wrestler is a comedy act stereotype who never gets big push.
The problem is largely that the top-tier Asian wrestlers hold the Japanese promotions in very high esteem and are extremely loyal which means that it would be quite hard for the WWE to attract the more talented workers to come over. It would be in my opinion a massive step down for a lot of them in their eyes to come over and work formulaic 6 minute matches full of restholds with a very slim chance of getting to put on a proper match some day.

Tajiri was only introduced to the American market by Paul Heyman's ECW via mexico whilst Ultimo Dragon spent a lot of his early career in Mexico after graduating from the NJPW dojo and so his style was nearly more lucha libre based than super junior.

The way in which young Japanese workers for instance are trained simply wouldn't work in the WWE as often many of them are too stiff.
I believe Raven on his blog and Bret Hart in his autobiography have commented on this subject but I can't quite remember their exact words.

What i find incredibly peculiar is the rareness of young Asian-American indy workers considering the general demographics of North America and the wrestling fan base which in my opinion has a sizable Asian contingent.
-CFC - Drogba, Zola, Gudjohnsen, Mata
-Condit, Lytle, Serra, Hendo
-The Wire, Game of Thrones, Arrow, Parks & Rec,
-NYG - Eli, Strahan

On the Bandwagon of:
-Evolution, The Shield
-Weidman, Shad, Mendes, Chandler
-Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D., Brooklyn 9 9, Suits
-Fury, Froch, Golovkin, Frampton
-LAC - CP3, Griffin
Mr.Socko2101 is offline   Reply With Quote