Wrestling Forum banner

Punk's knee injury

57K views 524 replies 245 participants last post by  Kelly Kelly fan 
#1 ·
#19 ·
Re: Breaking: Punk having emergency knee surgery

It's quite a funny (well not exactly funny) coincidence that Punk gets injured just when he was about to pass Cena's long-ass reign, that also was ended by injury.

Ha! I remember people's reactions when John Cena got hurt in 2007. THEY CHEERED! Now, I will cheer... haha!
It's honestly pathetic that you cheer when another a human gets seriously hurt because you don't like the character on TV he plays.

#61 ·

Deja vu. Didn't this happen to Cena on his mammoth title reign as well? Or was that kayfabe?

Sucks anyway. DAT 13TH TITLE REIGN INBOUND!!!

Reactions: SonoShion
#206 ·

Ryback vs Casey Ryback

Reactions: Coffey
#304 ·

Surprise return for Kurt Angle?

"Torn ACL? I do that all the time. I tore my ACL this morning and here I am jumping around!!!"

Seriously though. I hope it's not true but if it is, then it could be great. The shield could keep protecting him. This could be awesome. It could even be a half work.

Although isn't Cena injured as well? Couldn't this be classed as a bad thing.

#324 · (Edited)

If it is a knee meniscus tear, then Punk should be perfectly fine for the Royal Rumble pay-per-view.A knee meniscus tear is a injury that usually does need surgery as in this case. Generally it causes major pain/swelling and knee locking, but the overall knee function/ligaments/muscle are all still in working order(they just can't work, but are undamaged). The fact the surgery was on the same day of the injury kinda grants that the muscle/ligaments are still in good shape, as they would wait 1-2 days if any issues arose with them before surgery(to treat swelling and diagnose further). As for the severity, it depends. Meniscus tears have a range/degree of severity about them, generally it takes 2-3 days for a light/medicore tear to actually cause pain/swelling. Punk's knee seems to have been bad for a while, with this dark spot/match being the straw to break the camels back so to speak. Knee athtroscopy, the procedure done the treat this, is not as invasive as many other knee surgeries. Generally speaking, it is a short and simple surgery with the main side-effect being muscle weakness, due to the body's swelling/locking response to the surgery. Working out and Physical Therapy are the ways to solve this and they can be started as soon as the patient is discharged really. Recovery times from surgery vary greatly. The minimm being 9-14 days for very tough/elite atheletes who can tolerate a lot of pain(aswell as being massively dedicated to the rehab program/reigime), and the maximum being 4 weeks. With Cena's elbow athroscopy we basically saw him recover in roughly 2 or so weeks, but being rested for some time longer for the safety aspect. It depends on the severity and Punk himself on whether on not he can make TLC. He will definitely be able to wrestle the Royal Rumble unless something else happens or complications arise from surgery. Given Punk's past record of recovery:
(1) Elbow meniscus surgery, recovered in 13 or so days
(2) Fractured Skull, was told not to work out for 1 year, returned to ring after 40-50 days
I would say he will simply work through it all and make the RR. Of course, I could easily be wrong, and all this is based on the assumption its a knee meniscus tear only.

Either way, sucks to see him injured, especially since I'm a mark for the guy. But I only really want to see him recover, if he has to drop the title or plans get fucked up due to this, shit happens. At least he will beat Cena's 380 day reign.

#381 ·

i'm not reading the thread cuz i'm trying to avoid any spoilers for smackdown if possible. just wanted to say this is fucking horrible. daniel bryan is essentially heath slater 2.0 at this point and punk has to suffer a serious injury. get ready for the wwe to plummet even further creatively and for the ratings to drop even more. this sux long and hard.

#384 ·
Mr. McMahon Statement on Punk...

WWE Chairman Mr. McMahon has released a statement through his office, speaking to the developing situation surrounding the WWE TLC pay-per-view. Because of the previously reported knee injury to WWE Champion CM Punk (FULL STORY), suffered this past Monday night on Raw (WATCH), Punk is unable to compete at WWE TLC against Ryback Sunday, Dec. 16.

In the statement, Mr. McMahon also announced that a Six-Man Tables, Ladders and Chairs Match has been added to the pay-per-view, in which Ryback will team up with WWE Tag Team Champions Team Hell No to battle The Shield. Furthermore, for the first time ever, the winner of this TLC Match will be determined via pinfall or submission.
http://www.wwe.com/shows/wwetlc/201...ement-regarding-injured-punk-wwe-tlc-26073769

first thing, is this a work? when i read Mr Mcmahon always thought of that Mr. McMahon character that he portrait on TV.

what happen now? WWE so screwed up right now, from the start WWE should have continue push Bryan on main event since he's so fucking over until now...if Punk on the sideline then who carried the title? if is real bad then who will face Rock? Sheamus? Orton? Del Rio?....WWE so fucked up.

Book on the fly and only 2 guys that really over on Main Event Punk-Cena. Bryan-Kane-Ryberg vs The Shield at TLC

#393 ·

I'm not liking this idea for Ryback/Hell No vs Shield in a TLC match.

It's bad enough we have to not have a WWE title match, now we're not getting a Tag team Title match either. Seeing as it was the tag team division that made the TLC matches, i'd expect them to have a big match at the PPV which showcased the division.

Shield also attacked Miz and Orton, why not have Ryback/Miz/Orton against the shield in a tables match? Orton and Miz dont seem to have any feud's going into the PPV so its not like you're sacrificing anything with putting them in the match. This way you get ryback in a match, you can pay-off the storyline with him and the shield and it'll be in a match that's relevant to the feud (didn't we just have Vince and Vickie talking about how you need something to win in a ladder match re: Ziggler/Cena? Surely that applies to TLC matches too so why are we getting this only win by pinfall or submission bullshit?)

Put Hell No in a TLC or even a ladder match for the titles with PTP, Mysterio/Cara and Kidd/Gabriel. That could be the match of the night!

They could even have a heavyweight title match as the main event if they do what was described earlier on with having ziggler cash in on Sheamus/Show and win the title, think he's gotten one over on Cena and then Vince says that the main event will be a ladder or TLC match for the world heavyweight championship with Ziggler v Cena.

This way you get:

1. Ryback as one of the front and centres of the show like WWE want, in a match where they're not wasting talent and Miz and Orton have a good match to be in which will also be a fantastic showcase of the talent of The Shield. Could even have The Shield lose to fuel Vince's big man obsession as long as they take some good bumps and show they're not just jobbers.

2. A potential match of the night and classic TLC or ladder match for the tag team titles with Hell No v PTP v Mysterio/Cara v Kidd/Gabriel

3. A brand new main eventer in Dolph Ziggler and someone who looks formiddable as champ by winning the title and presumably defeating john cena in the same night.

I thought of that scenario in 5 minutes, with all the creative people they have there no-one thought of this idea or thought it would be a fantastic way of saving a most likely sub-par ppv? It just seems like common sense?...

#504 · (Edited)

Wheelchair Flair was the best wrestling character of all time. Wheelchair Punk could absolutely threaten that title though...
What are the chances of this happening to Punk?

#507 ·

WWE Champion CM Punk has been forced to withdraw from an upcoming pay-per-view event due to a knee injury, which has been blamed on long periods of sitting cross-legged.

“Mr. Punk has suffered a torn meniscus due to prolonged durations of sitting in the so-called lotus position while delivering verbose, vitriolic diatribes,” said WWE Chief Medic Dr. Bob Ponovich.

Although originally scheduled to compete at Sunday’s Tables Ladders & Chairs (TLC) pay-per-view event, Punk was forced to withdraw to undergo knee surgery.

Doctors believe Punk initially injured his knee while delivering a now-infamous tirade during a live WWE broadcast on June 27, 2011 — largely because he was sitting cross-legged on the hard, steel Raw entrance ramp.

“We suspect the injury may also have been exacerbated by Mr. Punk continually bearing the weight of his own enormous ego,” said Dr. Ponovich.

“Lately Paul Heyman has reduced the burden by carrying Mr. Punk’s championship belt, but that doesn’t seem to have helped.”

Credit goes to kayfabe news :lol

#508 ·

WWE Champion CM Punk has been forced to withdraw from an upcoming pay-per-view event due to a knee injury, which has been blamed on long periods of sitting cross-legged.

“Mr. Punk has suffered a torn meniscus due to prolonged durations of sitting in the so-called lotus position while delivering verbose, vitriolic diatribes,” said WWE Chief Medic Dr. Bob Ponovich.

Although originally scheduled to compete at Sunday’s Tables Ladders & Chairs (TLC) pay-per-view event, Punk was forced to withdraw to undergo knee surgery.

Doctors believe Punk initially injured his knee while delivering a now-infamous tirade during a live WWE broadcast on June 27, 2011 — largely because he was sitting cross-legged on the hard, steel Raw entrance ramp.

“We suspect the injury may also have been exacerbated by Mr. Punk continually bearing the weight of his own enormous ego,” said Dr. Ponovich.

“Lately Paul Heyman has reduced the burden by carrying Mr. Punk’s championship belt, but that doesn’t seem to have helped.”

Credit goes to kayfabe news :lol
Haha! I'd forgotten about that website.

#330 ·

Rock vs Cena 2? - wouldn't know how it would work but, If punks messed up his knee, he may well be out for a while.
actually , Punk getting a knee injury could improve his chances of wrestling the rock on WM29, they could postpone the Rock/Punk program and push it from the rumble to mania instead (if he could make it in time of course)

but with Rock entering the match as the champion

I hope they go with that route but I don't see it happening

#4 ·

Oh man this sucks!

#10 ·

Well, I certainly didn't see this coming. Curious what the severity of the surgery is. I mean, is it going to cause him to miss PPV time, or will he just have more TV segments without wrestling, like last night, but still be good to go on PPV? Probably don't want to put a guy with a bad knee that just had surgery in a TLC match but I'm sure he can still drop the title to The Rock at Royal Rumble, no?

#11 ·

I hope it's a surgery that will garner a quick recovery. If so, Punk vs. Rock at the Rumble can still happen. If not, I'm expecting Cena to become champ. I can see the TLC match turning into Ryback and Team Hell No vs. The Shield if Punk can't make it to TLC.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.