Votes: 48 66.7%
  • Kofi Kingston

Votes: 24 33.3%

Intercontinental Champion Kofi Kingston vs Wade Barrett

4K views 44 replies 39 participants last post by  TheVladMan 
#1 ·
http://www.wwe.com/shows/wwetlc/2012/kofi-kingston-wade-barrett-26071959

Intercontinental Champion Kofi Kingston vs. Wade Barrett

The road to WWE TLC: Tables Ladders & Chairs really began, in a way, in 2011, when Wade Barrett defeated Kofi Kingston for the Intercontinental Championship. It was a marquee moment for the English pugilist, his first title reign in WWE and a harbinger of the career that awaited him. It was also a crushing defeat for Kingston, who had been enjoying a dominant run with the storied championship that was cut prematurely short by Barrett’s barrage.

In time, of course, the two men went their separate ways. But the road has come ’round again. Kofi is champion. Barrett has an issue with that. And despite the similarities in situation, the stakes have changed dramatically.

Now, for Kofi, validation is on the line: an affirmation and a cementing of Kingston’s legacy as a top-tier Superstar, one worthy of a fourth reign with the storied Intercontinental Championship. That when he took the title from The Miz last month on WWE Main Event, it wasn’t a fluke win as The Awesome One had then intimated. It was a statement that he is worthy of the title’s prestigious history and his multiple runs with the title gold around his waist.

For Barrett, TLC is all about making a statement: that The Barrett Barrage (which had been gaining momentum before Barrett himself was cut down with an elbow injury in February) is as dangerous as ever. Barrett wants to prove he can repeat what he accomplished in 2011 by beating Kingston for the title, because only a beating will do at this point. It is also about completing his reinvention from a sophisticated leader of men to a lone-wolf warrior who answers to no man and fears none, too. It is about sealing his reinvention with a championship reign, one worthy of only the elite Superstars in WWE. It is about taking what he believes is his.

There won’t be any tables, ladders or chairs in this contest. In a way, there don’t need to be. Barrett will bring his fists and his wits; “The Wildcat” will use his unpredictable aerial ability. Almost two years have passed, but Kofi Kingston and Wade Barrett have found themselves back in each other’s sights, with a chance to right a wrong and cement a legacy in equal measure. May the best man win.

#5 ·
Agreed, it's a horrible decision that never should've happened. They should've had Sandow in this spot, or, at the very least, make it a triple threat so Sandow can win the title and Barrett isn't involved in the decision, and then he can move up the ladder.

Barrett will probably win because Kofi's a geek, then he'll hold it until WrestleMania and then drop it or something useless like that. I could see Kofi win but they'll probably put it on Barrett.

#6 ·
This is an example of a lose-lose scenario, Barrett loses and he's losing to, as Pyro mentioned, a geek. If Barrett wins he's holding a worthless Title and being held back countless more months.

I actually think they'll put Kofi over, there's more heel challengers than face ones and Barrett's owned him in the feud so far.

#7 ·
Wish he was in the World Title picture, not this but oh well... Better than nothing I guess. Like Tyrion said, Sandow should have been in his place, and maybe Barret in a Triple Threat along with Sheamus and Show in the WHC match.

Anyway, I think Barret wins this one.

#8 ·
Well technically there is a win scenario here, it's just a win scenario for Kofi. They're sort of doing a half arsed story with him about him proving himself and stepping up and all the rest and this could be a moment to help prove it, once he wins here there's a good chance he can coast to WM (competes in RR and an EC, doesn't have to have any major feuds) and build a respectably long title reign.

Then again WWE like to pretend they care about Barrett and have been sort of pushing him at times, so I don't know, this is actually a hard one to predict.

For what little it's worth, should be a decent match.

#9 · (Edited)
I'm a fan of both men so I'm really looking forward to this one. It should be a good and very entertaining match. I'm hoping its a Ladder match but it probably won't so hopefully it will at least be some sort of no DQ. Barrett has pretty much dominated the feud at this point. He's the one with the upper hand so I expect the "geek" :rolleyes: Kofi Kingston to retain.

Barretts credibility won't take any damage because he has no credibility right now. He hasn't done anything since his feud with Orton.

#11 ·
Im a bigger fan of Wade Barrett than Kofi but i want to see Kofi win this match. I would rather see Wade Barrett get himself in the World Heavyweight Title picture instead of the IC.

#12 ·
Barrett wins. Kofi is a transitional champion who only won the title because they wanted to take it off Miz. Also, WWE doesn't have plans for Barrett at the moment so they'd rather have him hold the IC championship than do nothing at all. Giving him a reign with the belt will keep him occupied until they're ready to move him up to main event programs. I still firmly believe WWE sees Barrett as a future WHC but they realize the main event is too crowded for now.

#15 ·
Should be a ladder match, this will give the advantage to Kofi. Barrett can put on a good physical match but Kofi wins with the use of ladders.

After that Barrett can brush the loss aside saying he was setup to lose because he is not a "gimmick' match guy, he is a stand up brawler and that's all he is interested in doing.
He has always beaten Kofi when the match is "pure" and without gimmicks.
Barrett can then set his sights on the major titles where the "real" battles are.

Disclaimer: This is just how I think Barrett should approach the loss, it is definitely not my opinion of 'high flyers' and ladder matches. I love them

#16 ·
Looking for Barrett to get the win here. The IC championship isn't the big impact I wanted to see from him but at the moment it isn't bad either. I'm thinking they are trying to do a "reboot" of his horrendous first IC title run know what I'm sayin? Kofi could still pull it off though they have been booking him strong and it would make for a retribution story. Barrett needs this win more though imo, and it would solidify the idea that he is better than Kofi, which he is.

#17 ·
Isn't this match devaluing Barrett's character? When he came back he wanted to go after the big guys.. but the IC Title isn't all that big (it used to be a big deal). It just saddens me that they hyped up Barrett's return and now he is just in a lowly IC Title match with lackluster build and a even more lackluster story. WWE have flopped on Barrett's return. Everything he said in his return hasn't meant a damn thing has it? I just don't understand why WWE has placed him in this spot when he deserves so much better.

#20 ·
If Barrett loses via pin fall then that will be the worse outcome of this feud. If he can't beat the IC champion then what chance does he have against main eventers. If he wins the title he's stuck with a title he'll have to lose at some stage which will weaken him as well. If it was up to me, I'd have Kofi retain via DQ with Wade Barrett absolutely destroying him in the process. At least then it leaves him open to progression to the heavy weight title and possibly winning the rumble.

#22 ·
#1 hottest heel and rising star in the WWE.

2 years later? Desperately trying to take the Intercontinental Title off Kofi Kingston.

I swear, Wade must have fondled one of Triple Haitch's daughters backstage. There's no other logical reason to destroy someone the way they have Barrett.

#23 ·
I really would prefer Wade being higher in the card than this. If he wins, he gets held back. If he loses, then his barrage loses momentum. The only potential silver lining I can see from this is if he were to win, even if he's held back a while, maybe he could somehow bring some legitimacy to the belt, but I'm not idealistic enough to believe that will happen.

I'm just gonna focus on the match and look forward to seeing Wade and Kofi in action.

#24 ·
Wade will become a main eventer, don't worry...
Why are all of you so hurry? A good build is a build which is made step by step. He just returned after an injury... a run with the Intercontinental Title would be good for him, then he can enter the Main Event.

#28 ·
They haven't destroyed Barrett. He just has extremely bad luck. Everytime he gets back for a push, the main event scene is already busy and booked for the next few months. Then when they finally manage to fit him in, he gets injured. I guess a little bit of IC title feud will give him something relevant to do meanwhile.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.