Wrestling Forum banner

BIG GAME ROBBEN

352K views 9K replies 237 participants last post by  steamed hams 
#1 ·
Since Liverpool are starting their Europa League campaign tonight, may as well start this thread now.

This will be rodgers first season in Europe, so I expect he'll look to have a solid competition. I reckon AVB will take this competition more seriously than Redknapp and Newcastle will want to do well for sure. Hopefully these three teams will do well and help England's co-efficient points.

As for the CL, we're retaining it :jordan2

See less See more
#3,229 ·
Re: UEFA Champions/Europa League 2012-13 Thread

Was impressed with De Gea today and hope he can continue this form in the next fixture. Welbeck was great and well worth his selection. All in all that is a good result, unlucky not to steal it in the end with RVP shot.

Never seen a ref ending the game before a corner, bit unfair.

#3,235 ·

Rooney was rubbish tonight,He should have been sent off earlier in the match.Van Persie was alright,Kagawa was good too,Jones was defending good but did end up looking like a damn ram in the process. De Gea was the best player in United in this match,Some of his saves were just beautiful.

#3,238 ·

Great result, although we could have - and SHOULD have - won it with glaring chances for RVP and Giggs. I thought Evans, Ferdinand, Jones and of course DE GEA all had a smashing game. Kagawa looked lost most of the time. Welbeck worked his socks off, well impressed by him tonight. Di Maria, Ozil and Ronaldo (although he wasn't as great in the second half) were different class for Real Madras. Referee was fucking awful though. That was a clear foul on Evra as he was going through, and how he didn't book a couple of their players is a complete mystery.

Second half is going to be a fucking belter. COME ON!

#3,241 ·

Ramos and Varane should have both been sent off. Van Persie got booked for glancing Ramos in the face with the palm of his hand but Ramos gets away with elbowing Evans in the back of the head, deliberately.

Varane stopped a clear goalscoring opportunity and the ref didn't even give a free. We better get a homer ref in the next leg.

#3,243 · (Edited)

Not pretty, very exhausting and especially in the first half a tad reminiscent of past games where the midfield and attack were so stretched we could barely string passes together and ended up throwing possession away. That being said it was a tenacious, resilient and determined performance which is sometimes what you need in the big away games: going out to not lose the game and have something to take into the second leg was a must and Madrid now have pressure having to get a result at OT.

De Gea & Welbeck were the standouts imo. De Gea was a tad uncertain in the first half on a couple of corners but his shot stopping was at its peak tonight with a genuine world class stop from Coentrao. Second half he was much the same but showed great composure and handling especially from the Alonso attempt which could have been a problem to control. Welbeck worked tirelessly, had immense and immaculate control on the ball, made strong runs, was always available on the ball and looked assured and calm throughout. Well taken goal & unlucky with the second attempt and great run in the second half.

Van Persie was also exceptional in the limited role he had. Lack of service and our style of play being more conservative meant he was forced to be an outlet, control the ball and try and make use of anything he had. Thought his touch and ability to beat a man was excellent tonight and he was unlucky with both attempts in the second half. Did well to not lose his composure on a yellow thanks to Ramos and his cunty antics.

Jones was a rock defending and made some crucial interceptions especially at the death with Ronaldo, though on the ball he was a tad erratic and prone to some lax play and getting himself into bother. For the role he was asked to do you couldn't have asked for more and second half especially he was more reliable on the ball instead of dallying and playing too cautiously in danger situations.

Kagawa had flashes of brilliance. Some nice touches and the little give and go in the first half with Van Persie could have been brilliant if the return touch had fallen better for him. Seemed easily muscled out though and appears relient on beating his man with skill as he can't overpower a defender in a 50/50 tussle. Wasn't hopeless though and looked threatening at times in the final third, just not the sort of player who thrives in the sort of tactics United were utilising tonight.

Confident in the second leg now. Can't see United not scoring at least once and on the evidence tonight there's plenty to be had with this Madrid defence. Fuck Ramos btw. Horrid prick.

#3,246 ·

2nd half seemed kinda lackluster, compared to the first half and I agree with everyone else that Rooney was absolutely a waste in this match. Half the time I had completely forgotten he was even on the field until he randomly wound up with the ball.

As for MU possibly deserving a win, I saw quite a few missed opportunities from both sides, coupled with the De Gea wonder-saves I think a draw was a fair result. I'm not sure why they didn't have Ronaldo just continue to attack Rafeal the rest of the game, especially on a yellow card and the fact he treated him like it was amateur-hour. Would've liked to see Madrid get a second to be in a slightly better position, but they can still go into Old Trafford and get a result, but it will be difficult.

#3,257 ·

Really proud of that performances especially defensively and tactically, shame rvp could have won it but it wasn't to be.

Jones, Evans, Rio, Welbeck and De Gea played fantastic. Ref how was that not a foul on evra from varane :shaq

Also some of the posts in here and just on this page ffs.

#3,267 ·

I am aware of this, I was just joking. Just consider it the 'Homer Rule', every fans thinks their team gets shafted and blindly throws it out there, but clearly sees the Homer in every other fan.

I'm not a fan of United, but they held their own, even with Rooney's disappearing act and Rafeal looking like he didn't even belong on the practice squad, at times.

#3,273 ·

Evans showed why he is the number one choice at the back and i hope he keeps it up also jones is starting to open my eyes on the player he could be if stays fit.

Some people should not post in this section woolcock or they don't understand football, strange that the muppets seem to come out in the champions league thread as the prem thread is usual great especially the banter.

#3,279 ·

Evans showed why he is the number one choice at the back and i hope he keeps it up also jones is starting to open my eyes on the player he could be if stays fit.

Some people should not post in this section woolcock or they don't understand football, strange that the muppets seem to come out in the champions league thread as the prem thread is usual great especially the banter.
I love how he always yells @ :evra

#3,283 ·

Referee's errors: (at least what I saw)

Againts Madrid: A penalty on Di Maria and the corner from which United's goal came, wasn't a corner, it was a goal kick!

Againts United: Red card for Varane, the corner at the end of the match (the referee should've let them play it out), and a yellow card for Arbeloa and a yellow/redish for Ramos.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.