Wrestling Forum banner

What country/ies has the best sports

• America (Football, Baseball, Basketball, Hockey)

Votes: 9 23.1%
  • Europe (Soccer, Rugby, Tennis, Cricket)

Votes: 30 76.9%

America vs Europe/Rest of the World

3K views 47 replies 30 participants last post by  kimino 
#1 ·
To North America & Europe 7 maybe the rest of the world seem to like different sports, of course lots are very similar but what do you think is best

#8 ·
Hm.

I SHOULD vote European since I'm a huge football fan and Chelsea fan and well.. I'm FROM Europe!

But I MUCH prefer American Football to all sports and am a loyal Cowboys fan so it's difficult. But apart from American Football, all of the other American sports are boring I mean seriously.. Baseball has got to be the most boring sport on EARTH! Whereas I can sit down and happily watch a game of tennis or rugby!

#30 · (Edited)
Nige™;12274371 said:
The big sports played in Europe are played all over the world and have world & continental championships. America's major sports are plated at a high level there and there only. Without trying to cause offense, there's a reason for that.

They are also older sports, and require less equipment, thus, less money. Many countries cannot afford American Football equipment. Same goes for hockey, and additionally not everyone has access to ice in order to play hockey.

Soccer football requires nothing more than a ball. Same goes for Rugby.

Nige™;12275411 said:
Which American sports are played worldwide at domestic & international level to a high standard? Are there American Football, Baseball, Ice Hockey World or Continental Cups?

Football, rugby, cricket all have major worldwide participation to a high level. The same simply can't be said for American sports. Is there an American Football World Cup with 32 countries that embrace it. Rugby & Cricket also have major tournaments with fewer nations but is played professionally on a worldwide scale.

No, and I gave some reasons for that. The rest of the world can afford to play soccer. Most of them cannot afford all the required equipment for American Football. That's a major, major, reason. So I guess European Sports are cheaper to play, thus, better? Hockey is actually played by many countries throughout the world. The simple problem is that many countries such as all of Africa, South America, and many places in Asia, have warmer climates. Hockey is not terribly viable, and like football, the sport is rather expensive to get equipment and facilities for to play in.

American Football is the greatest sport on the planet IMO. I think if the rest of the world had A) the money to finance it, B) Their populations had access to sufficient equipment to work out & bulk up to be efficient at the sport that you might see a new favorite sport of the world.

American soccer/world football might be the most played, but I do not think it is the best.

#35 ·

They are also older sports, and require less equipment, thus, less money. Many countries cannot afford American Football equipment. Same goes for hockey, and additionally not everyone has access to ice in order to play hockey.

Soccer football requires nothing more than a ball. Same goes for Rugby.

No, and I gave some reasons for that. The rest of the world can afford to play soccer. Most of them cannot afford all the required equipment for American Football. That's a major, major, reason. So I guess European Sports are cheaper to play, thus, better? Hockey is actually played by many countries throughout the world. The simple problem is that many countries such as all of Africa, South America, and many places in Asia, have warmer climates. Hockey is not terribly viable, and like football, the sport is rather expensive to get equipment and facilities for to play in.

American Football is the greatest sport on the planet IMO. I think if the rest of the world had A) the money to finance it, B) Their populations had access to sufficient equipment to work out & bulk up to be efficient at the sport that you might see a new favorite sport of the world.

American soccer/world football might be the most played, but I do not think it is the best.
Very good points and I have to agree with you on all of them! (Y) I live in England and I've sort of just gotten my friends into American Football and I actually HAVE an american football, and we really wanna try it out and play it properly, and this comes to your point about the equipment as we don't want to risk injury against eachother doing tackles like we want. Rugby easy to play with eachother since the tackles aren't THAT aggressive, but a very good point made about not affording equipment as that's the only thing that is stopping us from playing it properly over here!

#34 ·
Nige you misunderstand what I think Freeloader is saying. He's not saying everyone can't afford the equipment, but a lot can't. Obviously many people in Europe can afford it, they just don't give a fuck about it. There a lot of impoverished nations/3rd world countries that seriously can't afford the equipment. It costs decent money to equip an American football team. The money they do have is just simply better spent on other stuff. You need a ball and a field with goal posts for soccer. That's it. I have to think there are public soccer fields the world over, even in 3rd world countries.

So yeah, a sport that has less costly equipment will be more accessible than one that uses a lot of it.

#36 · (Edited)
What's the difference between a soccer field and a football field?

Essentially they're both grass with posts & markings. You need a ball for both and off you go. The only other thing Americans need is helmets & body pads which shouldn't be that much more expensive. Are American Football posts & field markings so expensive? Come on.

Funding a soccer team is expensive too with all the training equipment too. You just don't see it. The money that goes into training equipment is very expensive. There's a lot of equipment you need. If you saw the cost of training equipment & facilities you would be shocked to the core.

In general though you can play both kinds of football on any old field with a ball. The only difference is the posts & helmets/pads. That's it. There are American Football teams over here but it's just not that popular compared to other sports. In some cases some less well off families won't be able to afford it but the same goes for other sports also with costs of boots, pads, kits etc. The cost issue affects all sports at a grass roots level.

Edit: Just remembered that there are plenty of rugby fields the world over that have essentially the same posts. That wouldn't stop American Football fans playing on there. It doesn't stop us playing Australian footy whose posts are different and we play with two less.

#26 · (Edited)
Nige™;12275411 said:
Please explain to me which part is wrong.

Which American sports are played worldwide at domestic & international level to a high standard? Are there American Football, Baseball, Ice Hockey World or Continental Cups?

Football, rugby, cricket all have major worldwide participation to a high level. The same simply can't be said for American sports. Is there an American Football World Cup with 32 countries that embrace it. Rugby & Cricket also have major tournaments with fewer nations but is played professionally on a worldwide scale.
Ice Hockey is played at a pretty high level worldwide and internationally and basketball to an extent as well I suppose, at least to the same extent of Cricket or Rugby, which aren't really that big world wide, especially cricket, there is like what 6/7 countries it's played professionally in, they're just dotted far between?

But there is a whole load more sports that could be put into "European" sports than those 4.

Yeah I'd struggle to think of many sports not created by the British Empire tbh, at least ones created around the 18/19th century. Hockey, badminton and snooker are another few that springs to mind.

Let me sum golf up for you.

Some wealthy white fellows walk around. They pay unusual amounts of attention to the only black gentleman in the vicinity. There’s some waggling of hips, a few nice swooshing sounds, and then they walk around a bit more. Some standing around now and a bit of looking at the grass. A fat bloke raises his hands at the end and everybody claps. They give him some clothes and he is pleased.

This lasts a few days.
A few little tweaks and you could easily be describing cricket ;)

#5 ·
I much prefer the European sports. Football is obviously the GOAT sport, no question. Handball is okay too.

My favourite American sport is Lacrosse. It's a pretty badass game to play, but not the greatest spectator sport. Basketball is okay, I used to like it when I was younger, but I'd have to be pretty bored to watch it these days. I don't care for American/Baseball at all though.

#25 ·
Not sure what you're getting at here? It's Europe/Rest of the World because most of the games played in Europe (football, rugby, cricket, tennis) are major sports played in countries throughout the world. Only America has it's own set of sports. So saying America/Rest of the World would make no sense whatsoever.

On-topic, Europe because I've brought up with these sports. Very few people are going to go against their upbringing here.

#19 ·
Europe,European sports are played by many countries worldwide and are recognized as important sports especially soccer which almost the entire world sees as the world's most popular sport wither people admit it or not.

#20 ·
It all comes down to where you're from and what sports you are emotionally attached to. It's all about what you prefer and that doesn't make something better or worse. I can enjoy any sport if I get emotionally attached to it or at least understand it. Apart from golf. Golf is a poxy game for poxy blokes to pretend their poxy selves are sporty when they are not.

Let me sum golf up for you.

Some wealthy white fellows walk around. They pay unusual amounts of attention to the only black gentleman in the vicinity. There’s some waggling of hips, a few nice swooshing sounds, and then they walk around a bit more. Some standing around now and a bit of looking at the grass. A fat bloke raises his hands at the end and everybody claps. They give him some clothes and he is pleased.

This lasts a few days.

#21 ·
Haha, pretty much, but you can make any sport sound 'poxy', no matter what it's actually like at it's 'highest level'. For example: Basketball: Tall (stereo-typically Black) men run around a rectangular surface trying to throw round objects off a board into a levitated bucket with netting, they also bounce the balls while running.

#38 ·
Basketball , Ice Hockey are both massive sports in the rest of the world. ITs pretty much only the UK that sucks at these...

So the only two real american sports are American football and Baseball. Anything that doesnt involve englishmen is always a winner. The cards 6-0 down to win 9-7 is by far the greatest baseball game i have ever seen.

American football will only get more popular now its finally on sky sports os can actually be seen easily in europe.

Nothing will ever catch football as a viewer sport though.

Superbowl final - 111M
World cup final - 715M

#39 ·
Nige™;12283478 said:
What's the difference between a soccer field and a football field?

Essentially they're both grass with posts & markings. You need a ball for both and off you go. The only other thing Americans need is helmets & body pads which shouldn't be that much more expensive. Are American Football posts & field markings so expensive? Come on.

Funding a soccer team is expensive too with all the training equipment too. You just don't see it. The money that goes into training equipment is very expensive. There's a lot of equipment you need. If you saw the cost of training equipment & facilities you would be shocked to the core.

In general though you can play both kinds of football on any old field with a ball. The only difference is the posts & helmets/pads. That's it. There are American Football teams over here but it's just not that popular compared to other sports. In some cases some less well off families won't be able to afford it but the same goes for other sports also with costs of boots, pads, kits etc. The cost issue affects all sports at a grass roots level.

Edit: Just remembered that there are plenty of rugby fields the world over that have essentially the same posts. That wouldn't stop American Football fans playing on there. It doesn't stop us playing Australian footy whose posts are different and we play with two less.
"The only difference is the posts and helmets/pads." Again, equipment that isn't cheap. And again we're NOT talking about Europe as much as we're talking about 3rd world countries. There is training equipment for American football as well. This is in addition to the mandatory shoulder pads, helmet, and leg pads.

This is really simple. If you need more stuff, then it costs more money. Why bother when there is already a less expensive, more popular option that is totally ingrained in the culture? LOL Pretty obvious actually.

In our poor areas in the US, the equipment had to be donated. Really all equipment is donated by various people that encourage the sport. That's how cost prohibitive the sport is. The only thing I ever bought as a player were cleats and a mouthpiece (I live in Texas though where football is religion). But if I had to pay a few hundred of dollars to play the game...fuck that...I might have never played. Certainly poor families can't afford this cost. Fortunately in the US, they don't have to, but the reason they don't have to is because the game is extremely popular. This isn't the case in pretty much every other part of the world.

So yeah while the cost of equipment is a pretty good factor, no one said it's the only factor. To me it's pretty obvious it's about which sport each culture embraces. You guys love soccer. We don't. (and vice versa with exceptions on both sides obviously) Cost compounds this.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.