Wrestling Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

2012-13 English Premier League/Cups Thread - GAME OVER YEEEAAAHHH!!!!!!!

329K views 9K replies 174 participants last post by  Deck The Halls With Funes Mori 
#1 ·
Old thread got too big. Leave the memories alone.

I think MAZACAR deserve to feature in the first post :mata :hazard :bosscar2

:rvp and :javy for carrying United.

:dzeko for saving City.

:suarez1 for just being Suarez.

And finally some BRAVE lads :hesk2 :barry (We need some current BRAVE VILLA smilies)

Let's see if we can kill this thread before the end of the season.

#418 ·
Re: 2012-13 English Premier League/Cups Thread (Wake me up when November ends :'()

fpalm

Well if Kevin Nolan get's a hat-trick tomorrow night I'm laughing
Every cunt and his mother had Suarez as captain. Fucking killed me. I had Aguero as captain and gave it to Hernandez at the last second. Also put in Berbatov for Fletcher.

Seriously, fuck RDM for benching Mata. EVERYONE ELSE SCORED POINTS. Fuck fantasy football :eek:

#408 ·
Re: 2012-13 English Premier League/Cups Thread (Wake me up when November ends :'()

Dont worry. I've only got like 23 or something ridiculous. Also have Nolan for tomorrow. And Begovic... Talk about counter productive!

Thanks for that minus 3 by the way, Brede. I found that very funny. Look, I'm laughing, Hangeland, I'm fucking laughing :lol

#419 ·

just checked my fantasy for the first time this season, coloccini, vidic, kagawa and cabaye in, single handedly score more than danny_boy with aguero :eek:

how am i not last either :lmao. legit have not touched this since pre-season.

#420 ·

Fantasy football's doing my head in this year. Picking the wrong keeper when I have two I rotate dependent on opponent, only for the usual back up (Jussi) to get a clean sheet and 72 saves with a bonus. Benching the wrong players and changing my captain at the last minute really have screwed me this year. Then when I have a relatively good day like yesterday, most people around me do better. Fortunately in my private league with my mates, the two I want to beat, one especially are below me.

#428 ·
#424 ·

Nobody has ever bought a ticket to watch a bloke in a suit balance the books. Not that it wouldn’t be interesting.

Whoever managed to juggle Chelsea’s numbers so they bought the best part of a new team and still turned a £1.4million profit over the last financial year? On paper, that must have been one hell of a show.

Same with the Arsenal board meeting in which chief executive Ivan Gazidis explained why he was worth a 24 per cent pay rise for selling Arsene Wenger’s captain at the end of every season. Now there is a world-class performer at the top of his game.

Sadly, the fans don’t agree. Players. That’s what they like. How quaintly retro of them. They don’t get that football’s modern world is all about leveraging the brand and maximising revenue streams, economic reality and financial fair play.

A paying fan wouldn’t have written the newspaper headline that described Tottenham Hotspur chairman Daniel Levy as a genius at the weekend. Gareth Bale against Inter Milan two seasons ago. That was genius.

So when the Premier League chairmen sat down last week to consider next season’s £5billion television windfall, they wanted to prioritise the people who really deserved it.

Them.

Not players. Good lord, not sweaty old players. Having built the self-styled greatest league in the world on the talent of men such as Cristiano Ronaldo, Dennis Bergkamp and Thierry Henry, the owners have decided enough is enough.

They fear players will recognise some correlation between increased TV revenue and the stars the people are tuning in to watch. How presumptuous.

It would be like David Letterman thinking that what made the David Letterman Show special was David Letterman, and asking to be paid accordingly. Get real, Dave. Do you seriously think they’re watching it for you?

Chairmen aren’t brave enough to explain this leap in logic to the players’ representatives. So what they will do is hide behind new rules.

We’d like to give you the money, they will say, but we can’t, you see. It’s the law. If it was up to us, well of course. There’s nothing we’d enjoy more than sharing our bounty with your client. But our hands are tied. We can’t even invest any of our own money these days. It’s just not allowed. Damn these rules. Damn these silly, silly rules. I don’t know why we voted for them.

So who reaps the dividend? Not you, that’s for certain. To date, there is no record of an owner saying he will use the double whammy of proposed spending restrictions and hugely increased revenue to suppress admission charges, cut prices in the club shop or end the tyranny of the new strip released every year. You still pay. They now don’t.

There are some very clever operators behind this, and a fair few dopes, too. The shrewd cookies are the elite clubs who have worked out that, far from benefiting all grades of the game, those at the top stand to profit greatly if spending is linked to income.

An existing club in the Champions League will have at least £30m more than a rival whose ambition it is to enter the top four.

It is no surprise that Manchester United and Arsenal are driving this proposal: the biggest grounds, the most consistent Champions League performers, they are as good as enshrining their right to have the most to spend.

The dopes would include those supporting the rule change at, for instance, West Ham or Tottenham. Why are clubs that are looking to grow limiting the ability to do so?

We don’t want another Portsmouth or Leeds United, the mediocre minds insist. But why are the options competitive torpor or going skint? Why can’t a club expand with optimism, ambition and calculated risk, without throwing the lot on red?

At last week’s Premier League meeting, 16 of 20 clubs asked chief executive Richard Scudamore to press ahead with detailed proposals for financial restrictions. They can’t be trusted to simply show restraint; it has to be placed upon them by force.

'We are looking at financial fair play rules and introducing them for the good of everyone in the Premier League and for the good of the game,’ said Swansea chairman Huw Jenkins, who would obviously know what was best for the Premier League having been part of it for a mighty 18 months.

The real brains trust proposal comes from Sunderland owner Ellis Short, who wishes to limit annual increases to the wage bill, as a means of depressing salaries. So each club would only be able to increase wages by, say, five per cent each season.

Fine for Manchester United as five per cent of quite a lot is quite a lot more. And fine if you’ve already been throwing money up the wall like Chelsea, as you could continue to do so incrementally.

Yet what of the well-run club that had lived within their means, suddenly experienced a degree of success, and wanted to take a leap forward?

Suppose West Bromwich Albion got into Europe and wished to invest in a bigger squad. They would be pegged at growth of five per cent. All Short is proposing is a way of saying ‘no’ to agents without getting into a heated argument.

The alternative is to grow a pair and pay only what you can afford, while respecting the right of all clubs to embrace ascent to the next level.

Resisting all this nonsense, bless them, are Fulham, Everton, West Brom and Manchester City, although Randy Lerner of Aston Villa has serious reservations, too, as do Chelsea, unless they can tailor the proposal to a way that leaves them unaffected.

‘It is not trying to restrict teams competing for players,’ said Manchester United executive vice-chairman Ed Woodward. No, it’s just trying to guarantee that, when they do, they’ve got less money than you.

‘We are trying to impose some parameters, so we don’t end up with a lot of clubs making annual and regular losses,’ added the man from the club who are £359.7m in debt, and based in the Cayman Islands.

So if fans aren’t due a rebate and the players don’t deserve a rise, who does?

Step forward: Gazidis, Roman Abramovich, the Glazer family, Mike Ashley.

It’s Super Sunday, folks, live from the offices of PricewaterhouseCoopers. That’s entertainment.
fantastic article on the farce of incorporating a salary cap into the competition now. it's not about being fair. it's about ensuring that the gap gets wider than it is already.

#426 ·

fantastic article on the farce of incorporating a salary cap into the competition now. it's not about being fair. it's about ensuring that the gap gets wider than it is already.
pretty good article. The 5% thing is something thats a big concern for mine if regulations come into effect. Say for examples sake that United/City/Chelsea etc are spending 100 mil a year. 5% on that means they can spend 105 mil, then 5% of that is another 5.25 mil so they can spend 110.25 and so by 3 seasons they can be up to 116.0125 so lets say 16 mil extra. If you have West Brom, Reading, West Ham etc spending 10 mil then after 3 years they be up to 1.6 mil extra. So the gap in spending is still 10x as big in just 3 years, irrespective of whether a team is going well and looking to buy higher profile players. Not to mention that now all the top clubs have a ton of 'assets' in players that they can sell to help them out as well that the smaller clubs may not have.

It won't stop a team from going bankrupt, and it won't stop the rich who aren't going to go bankrupt anytime soon from spending more and more money.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.