Wrestling Forum : WWE, TNA, Debate League, Wrestling Videos, Women of Wrestling Forums - View Single Post - Analyze This: Advent of Supernatural/Dark gimmicks

View Single Post

Old 11-15-2012, 09:02 PM   #9 (permalink)
Greenlawler
Old School, cause I'm an old fool....

Greenlawler 1501 - 2000Greenlawler 1501 - 2000Greenlawler 1501 - 2000Greenlawler 1501 - 2000Greenlawler 1501 - 2000Greenlawler 1501 - 2000Greenlawler 1501 - 2000Greenlawler 1501 - 2000Greenlawler 1501 - 2000Greenlawler 1501 - 2000Greenlawler 1501 - 2000
Default Re: Analyze This: Advent of Supernatural/Dark gimmicks

In my opinion there is a difference in psycho heels and dark gimmicks. Von Rashcke had a monster heel gimmick because he was a Nazi. There were dozens of Nazi's in wrestling before him. Probably the most famous being Hans Schmidt, and Fritz and Waldo Von Erich.

I think the first possible "dark" gimmick I remember was from the 1970's, but it is hard to believe it took till then for someone to do a dark gimmick. The gimmick however was more of a "monster gimmick" Dr. Frank debuted in like 1975 in Memphis as a monster brought in by Lawler (in a box, great angle) on Halloween to battle the faces...who were I think Ron Mikalocheck (a football player) and Tommy Rich.
Memphis was a really gimmick heavy promotion and we had Jason, Freddy (Ken Wayne), The Zombie, The Yeti and a cavalcade of creatures. Freddy even had an extended run, and was a face winning titles.

However like I said monster and dark are very different.

Chris Colt had a really dark gimmick pretty early, can't remember when...but to me Kevin Sullivan was the original. The Dark Scorpian gimmick was dark, and if it had a better payoff would be remembered as one of the all time great angles.

Lucha Libra went dark long before we did here. Wrestlers like Satanico were drinking blood out of grails long before Gangrel.

There was a guy who predated Shango in GWF. Remember Rasta the Vodoo Mon?

Personally I love these gimmicks, and wish there were more.

Anyways Stranger that's all I got for now....

Last edited by Greenlawler : 11-15-2012 at 09:06 PM.
Greenlawler is offline   Reply With Quote