Wrestling Forum banner

Did WWE cross the line with Jerry Lawler tonight?

• Yes

Votes: 192 31.1%
  • No

Votes: 404 65.5%
  • Undecided

Votes: 21 3.4%
Status
Not open for further replies.

Punk & Heyman mocking King's heart attack

55K views 832 replies 336 participants last post by  Scrotey Loads 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)

I'm speechless. I wanted the product to get edgier, but this? This is plain disrespectful, not entertaining, and a complete lack of sanity.

I can't help it but think this is a jab at Linda for losing somehow, so she can never run for senate again. Absolutely despising.

Does anyone actually think this is acceptable?

I wonder if they are going to continue with the "BA★" campaign after this nonsense.​

See less See more
1 1
#382 ·
I actually couldn't stop laughing when I read the live discussion thread during that Punk promo. People were overreacting so much it was like Punk was performing an on-air rape or something. Hilarious.

The segment was fine (in fact, it was great) and I don't understand why people were crying over it. I'm not a guy who gets offended at anything, but most of the time I can watch something and think "Oh shit, why are they doing this, people are going to get offended". This segment wasn't one of those times. I couldn't see anything offensive about it at all. If Lawler had died, then yeah, of course it's tasteless - but he didn't and was actually there to okay it.

Even from a continuity aspect (and people love dat continuity), why wouldn't Punk interrupt Lawler's feelgood segment and cut a dick promo? They have history, Punk always abuses Lawler and the material he was given was awesome, edgy heel stuff.

Not to go with the generic line that I'm sure has been repeated about 861 times in this thread, but I love the irony of people crying about PG era WWE and wanting it to go edgy like the precious Attitude Era, but when it does they have some kind of emotional breakdown and complain about that as well. Unbelievable.

#388 ·
It was just tasteless and disgusting, Heel or no Heel you don't mock a heart attack, just like you don't mock someone that has cancer, or any other terminal illness or death, There's a fine line between Edgy and sick. This crosses the line. Smh at all you guys saying "they asked for edgy asked for edgy" this isn't edgy

#396 ·
I predicted that Punk would interrupt Lawler during his speech (was rather obvious), and I am glad that he did. I saw nothing wrong with it and while it was 'tasteless' - as it was only two months ago that he was clinically dead - it made perfect sense for Punk to come out and do something like this. Heyman's acting during that segment was legendary.

#407 ·
Like I said in the RAW thread, it was great to see Jerry back to where he belongs, amazing to see and hear him in this condition. Then of course they had to ruin such a great moment with a disgusting, cheap and disrespectful act. I thought that the "Long Live The King" shirts and the fact that they filmed the entire situation when Jerry was there unconscious in critical moments was tasteless, but this segment was pointless and tasteless on another level and had no place anywhere near a scripted wrestling or TV program in general. Things like that show desperation more than anything else, when you need to go that far and put the characters in segments like this, shows that they know that they can't get over their performers in the borders of a TV show. Real life scenarios are good to provoke a natural reaction when you're in a scripted environment but this? Not only there's no money in it, but it's the wrong kind of heat that drive people away. This is not "edgy" in any way.

#409 ·
Vanilla Midget marks out in force. When WWE does PG, they suck it. When WWE goes distasteful, they suck it. There's a word for this, obsequious. In other words, they accept whatever comes down the pipe. If next week WWE issued an apology, VM Punk/PG marks would be rooting for the apology and shitting on the segment.

#411 ·
WWE have done a lot of offensive things over the years - this is one of them. However, I don't think it's a big deal.

If Punk had cut that promo after Lawler died (like Orton did months after Eddie's passing), it would've been a different story. As it stands, Punk, Heyman, King & Vince used the situation to their advantage. To drum up a little buzz, to create some heat, to leverage additional sympathy.

Is it slimey? Sure. Is it offensive? You bet. Is it desperate? I don't think so. It's actually quite an ingenious heel tactic, especially when you consider that the person who should be hurt by this (Lawler) isn't bothered in the slightest.

#413 ·
'You say you want edge but complain about this segment'.

WWE should aspire for edge no doubt, but it shouldn't be trashy edge. The Attitude Era already perfected that. Today's edge should be a little more refined than reenacting a real-life heart attack. I just thought it was crass and did a great job exhibiting why the respect for the industry is so low in the first place.

If being tawdry like that is the only way WWE is able to achieve 'edge', it's only because the creative minds over there are embarrassingly simply minded.

Reactions: Starbuck
#417 ·
it honestly pisses me off people complain about this segment. those of u begging for edgy shit and now complain diserve fucking poor g rated garbage that wwe gave us for months

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.