Wrestling Forum : WWE, TNA, Debate League, Wrestling Videos, Women of Wrestling Forums - View Single Post - Analyze This: Advent of Supernatural/Dark gimmicks

View Single Post

Old 11-11-2012, 10:05 AM   #3 (permalink)
theidealstranger
Acknowledged by SCOTT STEINER

theidealstranger 501 - 1000theidealstranger 501 - 1000theidealstranger 501 - 1000theidealstranger 501 - 1000theidealstranger 501 - 1000theidealstranger 501 - 1000
Default Re: Analyze This: Advent of Supernatural/Dark gimmicks

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonoaries View Post
Obvious answer:

I do like the topic though.

I believe Baron Von Ratchke was also considered a "dark" type of character there may have been others that I'm not familiar with.

I think the supernatural characters add a cartoonish edge to wrestling, which is both good & bad, depending on what kind of product you have.

In the 80s & 90s WWF those types of characters could flourish because it was already a cartoonish product. As a kid I got a kick out of Papa Shango (even though he's terrible), Undertaker and characters that were superhuman because it kept in the tradition of comic book superheroes & supervillians which I've always loved.
Quite true that Taker would easily top any poll for supernatural character easily but for old timers and newbies with respect to Attitude Era who did not catch or cherish Ministry, other gimmicks may come up and for even AE guys, Mankind and Kane are as perfect foil for Taker in this regards. Voice in the head Orton was also a bit dark and psychotic as was Mordecai. It did not disappear all of a sudden but did not flourish as it did back then.

Spoiler for TIMBER!:

Last edited by theidealstranger : 11-11-2012 at 10:08 AM.
theidealstranger is offline   Reply With Quote