Wrestling Forum : WWE, TNA, Debate League, Wrestling Videos, Women of Wrestling Forums - View Single Post - **The Official Raw Ratings Thread** (Discuss Ratings In Here)

View Single Post

Old 11-08-2012, 07:18 AM   #7661 (permalink)
Evil Peter
Getting ignored by SCOTT STEINER

Evil Peter should be embarassed if they have more than 50 postsEvil Peter should be embarassed if they have more than 50 postsEvil Peter should be embarassed if they have more than 50 postsEvil Peter should be embarassed if they have more than 50 postsEvil Peter should be embarassed if they have more than 50 posts
Default Re: **The Official Raw Ratings Thread** (Discuss Ratings In Here)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starbuck View Post
You don't accept Taker as a believable character? If that's the case then I don't even know how you can watch wrestling tbh. That character is probably the most ridiculous thing ever but it works and has worked for years because of the way WWE have presented it to us. But if you don't buy Taker then yeah, I can see how you won't buy Ryback.

I don't care either. This misconception that people who discuss ratings only mark for those who draw is fucking ridiculous. I've never faulted wrestlers for not being big draws because it's also irrelevant to whether I enjoy what they do. Most of the people in here don't do that either. I was merely commenting on jbldvx's obvious bias for Punk and against Ryback. Ryback loses viewers and he's pathetic. Punk loses viewers and it isn't his fault.
No, I think it clashes with how the WWE presents its environment today. I watched when he made his debut and it worked on a different level then because of two things. First is of course that I was a kid, and second it was in a time where the gimmicks were really exaggerated. These days the wrestlers are presented more as normal people, which makes it really weird that there's an undead guy with magic walking around. Since WWE tries to be more a part of the normal world (presenting the wrestlers as athletes like in any sport) an undead guy would cause some extreme reactions by the world. As I said I can ignore that and find entertainment in it as an isolated thing though.

When it comes to Ryback the believable thing isn't that big for me, I'm just not a fan of what he does. Both in terms of his abilities (in the ring and his mannerisms) and that he's booked in the way that I find the most boring. I want to see wrestling where the matches are full team efforts to make both guys look good while telling a story. Squash matches doesn't display the art of wrestling very well for me and it's all about the ride since the destination is less impressive in a scripted sport. I of course had the same problem with Goldberg, although he was one of the few that could impress me with some really nice power moves.

The best part about Ryback in terms of ratings discussions is that since he's been pushed and not really changing anything the constant "Punk can't draw" discussions seem to have ebbed out to a large degree. I find the discussions now a bit more to the point of what I think is relevant.