Wrestling Forum banner

Report On Why WWE Overhauled Survivor Series Main Event

3K views 26 replies 27 participants last post by  ceeder 
#1 · (Edited)
http://www.lordsofpain.net/news/wwe...rvivor_Series_Main_Event_On_Monday_s_Raw.html

As seen Monday on Raw, WWE overhauled its plans for Survivor Series on November 18, 2012.

On the show, Vince McMahon mandated that CM Punk will defend his WWE Championship in a Triple Threat Match against Ryback and John Cena at the pay-per-view event. With this turn of events, Team Punk is now known as Team Ziggler, while Team Foley has an empty fifth slot. Prior to the change, The Miz quit the group in protest of Punk's leadership, and was replaced by Wade Barrett after Paul Heyman aggressively sought him.

According to the Wrestling Observer Newsletter, WWE changed their plans for a number of reasons. Among them was the belief that the originally scheduled main event, Team Punk vs. Team Foley in Traditional Survivor Series Elimination Tag Team Match, would draw dismal pay-per-view buy numbers.With rare exceptions, tag team matches as main events are generally mediocre earners on pay-per-view. The entire Bragging Rights concept was dropped for that very reason.

It was said that pay-per-view buy numbers for Hell in a Cell on DirecTV were "surprisingly strong." Privately, McMahon credited Ryback for the result and felt placing him in a ten-man tag team, even though he'd likely be left standing, would did nothing for him. McMahon feels they need to capitalize on Ryback's momentum, which would require the muscle-bound grappler challenging for the WWE Championship in the main event.

(Source: Wrestling Observer Newsletter)

#2 ·
They made the right decision, but this should of been the plan in the first place. Punk/Ryback is a hot feud and Cena being thrown in the mix makes sense considering he was originally going to face Punk at HIAC but Ryback had to take his place due to injury, so I find it weird they didn't go with this in the first place. I'm more excited to see a Punk/Ryback/Cena triple threat, and I'm sure most are, plus it's now Team Ziggler in the traditional Survivor Series match and that's good because he has much more chance of winning this match than if it was Cena/Ziggler at Survivor Series.

#10 ·
They made the right decision, but this should of been the plan in the first place. Punk/Ryback is a hot feud and Cena being thrown in the mix makes sense considering he was originally going to face Punk at HIAC but Ryback had to take his place due to injury, so I find it weird they didn't go with this in the first place.
Whilst I fundamentally agree, I can only assume the reason they came up with the Foley vs Punk thing was to get CM Punk through another PPV without hanging onto his title by the skin of his teeth. Now the odds are stacked against him MASSIVELY even more and if they really want him to go to the Rumble with the belt it's going to take some really hokey booking to get him through this PPV.

The fans have already seen Cena come so close against him and then Ryback got screwed last PPV against him - is this really going to be another example of both Cena and Ryback leaving town unlucky yet again?

If Vince really does credit Ryback with the buyrate then I doubt it's beyond the crazy old bastard to scrap his plans and give Ryback the belt whilst he's hot. Who knows though.

#3 ·
It might be better but it left massive plot holes.

Without punk, what reason does Foley have being there?

Without Punk/Ryback...Theres nobody "important" to win, it may as well just be one of the random "throw a couple feuds in one place" tags they announce every raw/smackdown (Ziggler/Punk v Cena/Ryback etc)

#6 ·
If the people they're naming the teams after don't have to actually be competing in them, I say name the heel team 'Team Vicky' (since her showstealer is now essentially leading it, plus she had some earlier almost-chemistry with Del Rio) and have Edge return to manage the face team ('Team Edge') since he could help point out her hypocrisy about criticizing people for fraternizing, himself and Ziggler being examples of her own toe-dipping.

Not to push out Foley or anything but having him there doesn't make sense anymore. Instead, perhaps in the future, Team Hell No could have a title defense in a hell in the cell match (like maybe if they hold onto it until mania?) and get Foley involved somehow due to his history with both the cell and Kane's bro.

Heck, what if Taker chooses to 'unretire' Michaels (he'd be the only one with the power to do that, presumably, since it was a promise made to him, the Undertaker owns his career and can choose to end or start it) and they make some kinda 'cowboys' team.

Considering that Daniel Bryan was Michaels' pupil (not forgetting Regal of course, but he's a Sheamus guy, and I don't like that) and the 'brothers of destruction' history, this match would have some interesting plot to it, I think. A real torch-passing sorta thing which could help solidify D-bri as an even more serious contender. The whole goatface/vegan thing will eventually get old, and much like Punk he'll need reboots. Mania would be a good time for it, and a mixup to Taker's streak of singles victories.

This begs the question though: if Taker's team loses by Bryan pinning Michaels or something like that, does that count as ending the streak?

Think of how much heat Bryan would get for 'ending the streak' without actually pinning the Undertaker at all, too.

#7 ·
The actual card now is definitely more appealing and makes sense, shame they didn't realize this in the first place because logically the card makes no fucking sense, Why is Ziggler in a team against Foley's team? when he's feuding with Cena etc.

#8 ·
I'm glad they did. They need to separate him from the pack, the lower mid-card; not just some few month filler.

#11 ·
Foley and get the fuck out, tbh. What does he and Ziggler have against each other? I know they had a little interaction at the beginning of the year but nothing was done about it then and everybody has forgotten about it now and it would be stupid to bring it back up. Plus the teams are ridiculous anyway (why would Foley pick a guy who did everything but kill him for 6 months, to be on his team). It makes no sense and it once again shows that the WWE are incapable of booking a survivor series match, which has been proven every year since 2005.

I actually preferred the original card, atleast Punk/Foley had somewhat of a feud behind it and an edge. I can only see the tag match turning in to a team AJ vs. Team Vickie match now, but why would AJ have Bryan and Kane on her team. WWE would ignore that as well, I reckon.

Eurghh, SMH. fpalm fpalm fpalm

#12 ·
No-shit. As much as I like elimination tag matches, the title can't be practically on the line and the title really does need to be ME. Give a few traditional SS matches to make up for it, but if they had just gone with Cena/ Ryback/ Punk as the ME from week 1 there would be significantly less bitching.

#13 ·
WWE keeps booking Punk as if he was the face that's supposed to overcome the odds.

Personally I think I'd prefer the SS elimination match. Both because I think SS should be about those as it originally was, plus that the triple threat can't hide Ryback's shortcomings as much. In a triple threat you get resting time by being hurt for a while but Ryback is booked so he has to be like Big Show was when he had his triple threat with Punk and Cena. The HIAC match only going 12 minutes and Ryback looking pretty bad leaves me no hope that Ryback will produce good matches in the foreseeable future. With the elimination match they could have let the others do all the work, just like they did in the last Raw main event. Then again, it's not really the matches that are at fault, it's pushing someone that's not a good wrestler.

The problem with the elimination chamber was that they didn't plan for it properly. They should have had the members of the teams interacting with each other well before the match was announced, plus there should have been something really important at stake for the winning team (not titles during the match though, that makes no sense).

#14 ·
Ryback/Cena/Punk has a big match feeling. The fact that it's the 1 year anniversary for cm punk's reign is quite important. It's totally logical that he has to defend the title. He never beat cena clean, and he his in the middle of a feud with Ryback. I'm quite shocked that they didn't call that match first.
Now they are quite fucked with a 5 on 5 match which has no sense at all. Ziggler the captain... Okay will he feud with a returning christian? Will he feud with a face turned miz? Will he feud with foley? Foley.. What the fuck is he doing here... Foley better quit his captain job and be the special referree for the title match.

#24 ·
I don't care about this report at all. Changing the Survivor Series main event was awful TNA-like booking. WWE are in a real hole right now, with saying they're going to do stuff one minute and then totally forgetting about it. It was bad enough in the days of Katie Vick and the mysterious moving briefcase when these things happened once every couple of months but now they're happening on a weekly basis and it's making me turn away.

#25 ·
It was definitely the right call, I was wondering why the WWE title wasn't on the line in the first place, thinking that they had some big planned storyline, but seeing that the teams were merely only other feuds going on at the time.

Ziggler and Foley have been feuding before, they could have easily just had Ziggler and Foley making the teams in the first place, but they had Punk out there and totally changed the dynamic of the match the next week. I would rather the feud for this 5 on 5 match be done by having Team Hell No and Team Rhodes Scholars finding partners in comedy segments over a few weeks.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.