Wrestling Forum : WWE, TNA, Debate League, Wrestling Videos, Women of Wrestling Forums - View Single Post - When Attitude started to rub the mainstream the wrong way

View Single Post

Old 11-07-2012, 06:29 PM   #1 (permalink)
ManiacMichaelMyers
Carrying SCOTT STEINER's bags

ManiacMichaelMyers 3501 - 4000ManiacMichaelMyers 3501 - 4000ManiacMichaelMyers 3501 - 4000ManiacMichaelMyers 3501 - 4000ManiacMichaelMyers 3501 - 4000ManiacMichaelMyers 3501 - 4000ManiacMichaelMyers 3501 - 4000ManiacMichaelMyers 3501 - 4000ManiacMichaelMyers 3501 - 4000ManiacMichaelMyers 3501 - 4000ManiacMichaelMyers 3501 - 4000
Default When Attitude started to rub the mainstream the wrong way

I wasn't watching during the Attitude Era because I'd tuned out once I grew up and couldn't deny that it was worked entertainment. Anyway, I stumbled upon this footage from around 1999 which shows the mainstream society and media's growing concern over the Attitude Era at the very beginnings of TV-14 WWF.

Some of you may recognize yourself as children in the footage. LOL.

I think the piece does demonstrate one thing well. You can clearly tell how affected these kids (who many aren't or don't look above 14) are by what they are watching. It spills into the classroom and becomes disruptive. Granted the lack of parental control over what these kids watch is the root cause in the first place.

Look how Vince is defending it here. He's completely right. There's a million shows FULL of sex and violence out there for adults. Why pick on wrestling just because parents don't put restrictions on what their kids watch when it's clearly labeled TV-14 in the first place?

Other interesting bits from the videos is that at this time around '99,
"McMahon argues that 70% of the viewing audience is at least 18"

Also Eric Bischoff being completely full of shit in general.

The rest of the piece talks about the usual fare,
steroids, drug abuse and wrestlers' deaths.

If you watched, what do you make of this look back in time?
ManiacMichaelMyers is offline   Reply With Quote