Wrestling Forum : WWE, TNA, ROH, Wrestling Videos, Women of Wrestling Forums - View Single Post - Did Heath Ledger REALLY earn the Oscar a few years ago?

View Single Post

Old 11-06-2012, 01:12 PM   #16 (permalink)
Goodell Mark
Moron

Goodell Mark is not that liked
Default Re: Did Heath Ledger REALLY earn the Oscar a few years ago?

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddiefan View Post
He had the best performance of the 5 nominees. I think they would have given the oscar to Philip Seymour Hoffman if Ledger hadn't passed away tho.
The best supporting actor performance that year didn't even get nominated.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Issues_Sunshyne View Post
If you watch things in the wrong context then it's hard to see certain things. You can say that so many performances, in hindsight, didn't deserve Oscars but it's generally a case of familiarity clouding your view.

I was blown away by Heath Ledger's Joker when I first saw The Dark Knight. I raved about it and watched it in the cinema at least 4 times. Now I still think it's amazing to watch but over 4 years later and the fact that I sing the script along with him, it's no longer blowing me away; it's just familiar.

Of course, his death added an extra bit of interest to his performance, but even as they were creating the film Heath Ledger was getting praise and spoken about as one of the best issues of character-acting of the year. That was whilst the film was in production and Ledger was still alive. Certainly his death helped him to attain the Oscar, anybody who says otherwise is wrong in my opinion, but that's not because it wasn't Oscar-worthy it was simply because of the type of role it was.

I think Ledger definitely deserved the Oscar, and in my opinion the only reason people don't think he does over 4 years later is we are so used to seeing his performance. It wasn't THE greatest performance ever, but within the context of the film and of the time, it most definitely deserved the praise it got, and the praise Ledger gained from it.
His performance was good but forgettable and nothing special whatsoever in 2008 and today.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WWCturbo View Post
It was a VERY good performance. And it's no secret that some actors & movies do get robbed from time to time but overall Heath did deserve an Oscar and he got one. Maybe the judges were encouraged to give him the oscar because he died, I'm sure if he was alive he would've won another one by now.

I remember watching The Dark Knight in the theatres and I was blown away by his performance. He was the best darn thing about the movie.
Except that Harvey Dent was the legitimate highlight.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lariatoh! View Post
All I can think of is trolling. An absolutely amazing performance that really hasn't been equalled in cinema since. The Joker was a chilling, dark character that took the Batman franchise to an all new level. Totally deserved and it would have been a joke if the academy didn't award him the Oscar dead or alive. In fact I think if his death "helped" him get the win in any way it would have been to override any bias against a "comic book" movie the academy probably has
There was nothing chilling about Ledger's performance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by haribo View Post
Jeff Bridges in Iron Man > Heath Ledger in The Dark Knight? Oh my
Indeed my statement is fact and your attempt at mockery is LUL-worthy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clique View Post
Heath Ledger was gave an absolutely captivating performance that could make you laugh as well as creep you out. He was chilling in the role of The Joker which he and Nolan brought a new interpretation and life to the character like never before. Ledger's Joker made The Dark Knight an unforgettable movie. He earned the Oscar in my opinion whether they decided to give it to him because of his death or not.

Also, let's look at Heath's competition that year and you decide if he should have won:

Josh Brolin, Milk
Heath Ledger, The Dark Knight
Robert Downey Jr., Tropic Thunder
Philip Seymour Hoffman, Doubt
Michael Shannon, Revolutionary Road
The nominee list that year was a sham.

As a film, Dark Knight was nothing more than a dime-a-dozen popcorn flick that doesn't stand out from other action film franchises such as Spiderman or Transformers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggler Mark View Post
forget the fact that he tragically passed away...that performance was nothing short of BRILLIANT. He deserved that oscar regardless of whether or not he died.

Anyone who questions that is a fool.
Stating something doesn't make it a fact. Hate to break it to you.