Wrestling Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Official DVD/Match/Show Discussion Thread

2M views 21K replies 512 participants last post by  Starbuck 
#1 ·
#8,301 ·
(Y)

****3/4 for me. One of my favorite tag team matches ever. Only one off the top of my head that trumps it is Midnight Express vs Southern Boys GAB '90.

Tully/Magnum cage is legendary in every sense. Understandable to put it on a pedestal. I do to.

I might have to post my thoughts on the Starrcade set in bit. Think I need to rewatch Flair/Dusty though. I remember not caring for it, to my surprise.
No doubt I can see why you dug Dragon/Douglas vs. Windham/Pillman, excellent stuff and hell yes for Express/Southern Boys now that's the southern formula and tag team wrestling worked to perfection.

Yeah I have a friend who didn't care for Flair/Dusty either but knew some others who liked it, I guess it depends.

#8,302 ·
I'll give that May match a watch now.
It'll be worth it.

Eh. At least they tried to make Kane vs Snitsky feel like it was a feud worth time. I'll give them credit there. We don't get that now. Plus wasn't that the match where they jumped off the stage to end the show? and you can clearly hear them talking
I know, I know. I may be bashing it here but that's because I have been spoiled in those Raw shows with the likes of Benoit, Jericho, Evolution, Orton, HBK and Muhammad Hassan. I still take Kane/Snitsky at their worst over Raw is Punk 2012. As for the stage bump... no, that was two or three weeks before it in a No Holds Barred match. The one I just finished was a steel cage match and admittedly, not as bad as I expected it to be. Probably because it was short. Although logic be damned there. Both Kane and Snitsky were standing on the steel steps outside the cage door at one point but instead walked back in. :lol

#8,304 ·
Foley/Orton, Backlash 2004 - ****1/2
HHH/HBK/Benoit, Backlash 2004 - ****1/2
Lesnar/HHH, Summerslam 12 - ****1/4
Lesnar/Goldberg, Mania XX - :lmao

Didn't get around to Cena/Punk NOC or Seamus/Show yet. Maybe tomorrow.
Forgot to add my thoughts because I was in a rush earlier on. For anybody who cares lol...

Foley/Orton - I dare anybody to say Orton hasn't earned his stripes after watching this match. Legend Killer Orton, as a character, is criminally underrated imo. He was perfect in the role HHH/Flair cast for him and backed up everything they said about him too. The thumb tack spot and the diving elbow off the stage are sick. Just a flat out war between these two with Foley doing what he does best; making other guys look a million bucks. Randy Orton officially arrives when this thing is over and to this day this remains one of his best matches ever imo.

HHH/HBK/Benoit - :lmao at the crowd. Constant YOU SCREWED BRET and YOU TAPPED OUT chants. The Hebner stuff was awesome and I'm pretty sure made most folks there shit a brick, haha. Another awesome match but it had no chance of living up to the Mania XX triple threat. It really says something when a match can be this good and still only be in second place. The ending is beautiful too.

Lesnar/HHH - I know I'm in the minority with this one but I absolutely adore this thing. The arm work from Lesnar is sublime. Everything he does targets the arm right from the get go. I marked the fuck out when he took his gloves off. What a BADASS moment followed with a great big punch to the back of the head. Brilliance. Trips sells like a trooper and I love the story they told in this thing. Hunter accidentally stumbling upon the monsters weakness is wonderful and holy fucking Christ did Brock ever sell that thing like death. As much of a massive HHH mark I am, I marked out for Brock Lesnar in this match way more than Hunter. The man is not human.

Lesnar/Goldberg - THIS MATCH SUCKS! THIS MATCH SUCKS! Yeah, I don't blame you NYC lol. Nothing much to say here except :lmao.

HHH is a master at making you believe that the other guy has him beat. As a child that Taka match had me in a rage lol. I thought he was done, haha. HHH/Taka, HHH/Maven, HHH/Shelton, HHH/Eugene are all examples of what I'm talking about. Complete edge of your seat stuff because as the match progresses you start to think that maybe the other guy is actually in with a shot of beating the Game. Great stuff.

#8,305 ·
No doubt I can see why you dug Dragon/Douglas vs. Windham/Pillman, excellent stuff and hell yes for Express/Southern Boys now that's the southern formula and tag team wrestling worked to perfection.

Yeah I have a friend who didn't care for Flair/Dusty either but knew some others who liked it, I guess it depends.
I'm usually big on anything that involves Barry Windham. Toss in Steamboat & Pillman. I'm sold.

Indeed. It didn't do anything for me. Don't know if a re-watch will change that. I've seen it plenty of times already.

I know, I know. I may be bashing it here but that's because I have been spoiled in those Raw shows with the likes of Benoit, Jericho, Evolution, Orton, HBK and Muhammad Hassan. I still take Kane/Snitsky at their worst over Raw is Punk 2012. As for the stage bump... no, that was two or three weeks before it in a No Holds Barred match. The one I just finished was a steel cage match and admittedly, not as bad as I expected it to be. Probably because it was short. Although logic be damned there. Both Kane and Snitsky were standing on the steel steps outside the cage door at one point but instead walked back in. :lol
See, I missed all of that stuff because I was w/o cable at the time. So much of RAW 05 is a blur pardon the summer when I was able to watch (which is how I recall Angle/Flair) and all the moments/matches that have gotten praise via dvd sets. Thankfully I got to witness a bulk of the Edge/Hardy program.

Kane vs Snitsky matches. Got to love em....as guilty pleasures.

#8,306 ·
HHH is a master at making you believe that the other guy has him beat.
Trips definitely has a skill for that and because of the way he's been built over the years it works even better. That's why his Mania put overs of Benoit, Batista, and Cena felt special too.

Flair was a master at doing that as the heel champion with virtually every babyface/hometown challenger that he faced. There's an absolutely beautiful match he had with Brian Pillman in 1990 that featured Flair on the ropes for a good portion of the match. Pillman came out of that thing looking like a million bucks.

#8,307 ·
That's why they're the GOAT heels. Btw, Flair on the mic > everybody that ever lived. Jesus Christ this guy is pure entertainment the second he opens his mouth. I watched a few of his interviews in between matches on the PPV's and couldn't stop :lmao. Even Batista and HHH were holding back their markdom when he's going off on one. Awesome lol.

#8,310 ·
Flair is pure entertainment. He always makes me laugh with that voice and his constant WOOOOOOOOs! Specially love it when he flips out after getting banned from ringside or when he cheap-shots somebody and walks off doing his trademark strut. Plus he ALWAYS loves taking a back body drop. He NEVER counters an Irish Whip and the result is always the same. :lmao

I personally think their match from earlier that year was better than this one, which was good in its own right.
Everyone has their preference. Both are almost as good (or equal depending on who you ask).

See, I missed all of that stuff because I was w/o cable at the time. So much of RAW 05 is a blur pardon the summer when I was able to watch (which is how I recall Angle/Flair) and all the moments/matches that have gotten praise via dvd sets. Thankfully I got to witness a bulk of the Edge/Hardy program.

Kane vs Snitsky matches. Got to love em....as guilty pleasures.
I missed out on all of that simply because I was too slow. :sad:

#8,311 ·
Yep. I mentioned Foley when talking about the Orton match. He did it for Orton, Edge and HHH himself. All huge put over jobs. I was talking about in less important matches I suppose where the obvious story is that the guy can't hang with the likes of Flair or Hunter but by the end of the match you're thinking holy fuck this might just happen...but it doesn't lol. That's the beauty of it I suppose.

Foley is no doubt in the top tier of mic workers. Flair is just on another level from everybody though. Imo of course. I could watch him talk, strut, woooo and drop elbows on his jacket all day long lol.

#8,312 ·
Plus he ALWAYS loves taking a back body drop. He NEVER counters an Irish Whip and the result is always the same. :lmao
Honestly, I mark pretty hard for Flair's backdrops and all of his signature spots like the toss from the top rope, the knife edge chops, or when he falls face first to the ground. It is his routine and people call it repetitive but THAT'S what I want to see in a Ric Flair match.

#8,314 ·
Honestly, I mark pretty hard for Flair's backdrops and all of his signature spots like the toss from the top rope, the knife edge chops, or when he falls face first to the ground. It is his routine and people call it repetitive but THAT'S what I want to see in a Ric Flair match.
Same here. I don't like it when something is predictable but there are some that get away with it and Flair is an example. The crowd also agrees as they always cheer every time he falls on his face. My favorite of his trademarks is when he overreacts, though.

Loved the segment with Eddie Guerrero in the 05 Rumble. Here is it for whoever has missed it. WWE have really raped YouTube hard recently. Can't find ANYTHING on there, just hope dailymotion doesn't have the same happening to it.

#8,315 ·
I learn towards Foley only the slightest margin you could ever imagine. All the love in the world to Flair though. Don't see how anyone couldn't list him as the best. In any aspect of the biz.

Foley though. Damn. He makes me really love this sport more than I already do. Something about his words that come out speak to me. It's quite astounding really. His "Anti-Hardcore" promo that's on his Greatest Hits & Misses set is my all time favorite wrestling promo. Now I love plenty, but that one is the one that spoke volumes to me.

they don't have it on youtube, but here's another brilliant showing:

#8,317 ·
Same here. I don't like it when something is predictable but there are some that get away with it and Flair is an example. The crowd also agrees as they always cheer every time he falls on his face. My favorite of his trademarks is when he overreacts, though.
I feel there's a difference between giving the people something predictable and weak and implementing your routine which is over with the people and what they expect to see from you when they pay money for a Ric Flair match, a Rock promo, etc. It has to be done creatively though and fit nicely within the story which FLair has done tremendously well for well over 30 years. I love the Flair overreactions too.

#8,320 ·
That's another thing, Flair in the 2000s and beyond is pure entertainment. I don't see any reason why he should have called it quits when people said he was too old for the business. Flair's role in Evolution was perfect, Flair had multiple good matches and performances in WWE and even a strong showing with Foley in TNA, and he's still can be one of the best promos in the business today. He was hilarious in his TNA run. WRESTLING GOD!

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.