Wrestling Forum : WWE, TNA, Debate League, Wrestling Videos, Women of Wrestling Forums - View Single Post - Golden Era vs Attitude Era, Which do you prefer?

View Single Post

Old 10-30-2012, 01:43 AM   #23 (permalink)
80swrestling
Learning to break kayfabe

80swrestling is an after thought
Default Re: Golden Era vs Attitude Era, Which do you prefer?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThirtyYearFan View Post
Not really. Cable television had fewer channels in the 1980s but the amount of wrestling coverage overall was the same as today if not even more. Wrestling was literally on in some form or another on Friday nights, Saturday mornings, Saturday nights, Monday nights and weekday afternoons on ESPN. Between the various organizations you might have four different wrestling programs on Saturday, two on Sunday, etc.

I will say this however in that early 1980s before the advent of cable television and when we just had "rabbit ears" that wrestling in my area consisted of NWA Florida wrestling with Gordon Solie on Saturday nights and Jim Crockett NWA promotions on Sunday afternoons. However by the mid to late 1980s wrestling was saturated all over cable television even more so than now.

No offense to the younger fans here but in many ways I think the Monday Night Wars and the Attitude Era hurt wrestling in the longrun because it made wrestling too over the top. As someone probably older than most that post here I miss the 1980s wrestling and how great that era was. My favorite era of all time was the 1980s NWA Jim Crockett promotions. No other time in wrestling has been as great IMHO.
Same here. I enjoyed WWF but NWA (JCP) was my favorite. It was more about wrestling and wasn't cartoony. I preferred to watch 80's Flair stylin' & profilin' as NWA World champ over Hogan as WWF World champ and the 20 min. posedowns after all of his matches.
80swrestling is offline   Reply With Quote