• Decent/Good :rock

Votes: 171 45.1%
  • Great :punk:rock3

Votes: 130 34.3%

Official The Rock vs. CM Punk Discussion Thread

823K views 9K replies 1K participants last post by  Nimbus 
#1 · (Edited)
wwe.com said:
Perhaps the parade was premature. Perhaps the celebrating, the humble tweets to The People and the legions of Team Bring It, and the proclamation that FINALLY, The Rock was WWE Champion once again jumped the gun by just a bit. Maybe, just maybe, The Rock put the horse before the cart when he celebrated his latest triumph on Raw Roulette, because CM Punk is not done with The Great One by a long shot.

How could he be, either? When a Superstar holds the WWE Title — Punk’s “life’s work,” in his own words — for 434 days spread across three calendar years, he does not just simply throw up his hands and call it a good run when the prize is taken from his clutches. So it was of no surprise when, during The Rock’s celebratory address to the WWE Universe as its new champion, The Straight Edge Superstar himself declared would be evoking his rematch clause – “granting” Rock a rematch was how he earned it – at Elimination Chamber. It was also of no surprise that The Rock gladly accepted.

But once again, maybe Rock is counting his proverbial chickens too early, because for all CM Punk’s feverish boasting in his final days as champion, he was right about one thing after the Royal Rumble: Hedidpin The Rock. It was one-two-three in the middle of the ring, although it took a sneak attack by who we can only assume was The Shield to weaken The Brahma Bull enough for Punk to make the pin. And it was only after Mr. McMahon restarted the bout that The Great One found enough of a second wind to silence CM Punk and put The Straight Edge Superstar to sleep, claiming his eighth WWE Championship in the process.

So at Elimination Chamber, the most brutal pit stop on The Road to WrestleMania, The Rock will face his own personal demon yet again. And The People’s Champion will have to be very, very careful, because CM Punk does not make the same mistake twice, and he is very, very angry. The very real opinion exists — depending whom you ask — that Punk should still be WWE Champion. And with it, the very real possibility exists — should The Rock think one victory equals winning the war — that The Brahma Bull’s parade could end as soon as it began and that CM Punk will be champion again, with history in his hands for the third time.

Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson said:
Over 100 years of Heavyweight Champions.

3 generations in my blood.

New WWE Champion.

My honor. TEAM BRING IT.

wwe.com said:
Attitude Era original Dwayne “The Rock” Johnson will compete in his first World Title match in more than a decade when he challenges WWE Champion CM Punk, the longest-reigning WWE Title holder of the past quarter-century, at Royal Rumble on Jan. 27.

The WWE Universe has anxiously awaited The Great One’s return to the WWE Title picture since he announced his championship opportunity on Raw 1,000 last July. Though there was no guarantee at the time whom The Rock’s opponent would be, the always-confident Punk fired an opening salvo that night, cutting down The Rock with a clothesline before knocking him out with a picture-perfect Go to Sleep. The following week, The Voice of the Voiceless defended his actions by suggesting The Great One, having been “gifted” a WWE Title match, viewed victory at the Royal Rumble as a foregone conclusion.

Whether a real or perceived slight, the implication that The Rock places himself on a higher plane than the current WWE Champion was seemingly all the motivation Punk needed to make sure he would still have the title on Jan. 27.

In the half-year since Raw 1,000, The Second City Saint stunned WWE fans by aligning with Paul Heyman and ratcheting up the vitriol of his speech. More important than either of those details, he has — by hook or by crook — maintained possession of the championship gold. Having turned back challenges by John Cena and Ryback in recent months, The Best in the World now looks ahead to testing himself against the seven-time former WWE Champion who vowed in 2012 to regain the title.

For The Rock, an A-list Hollywood action star and third-generation Superstar who has sports-entertainment coursing through his veins, the Royal Rumble title match represents the start of a potential career renaissance inside the ring. Since March 2004, The Most Electrifying Man in All of Entertainment has competed in only two sanctioned WWE matches, teaming with John Cena to shred The Awesome Truth (The Miz & R-Truth) at Survivor Series 2011 and overcoming the Cenation leader at WrestleMania XXVIII.

But by vying for the most treasured prize in sports-entertainment, The Rock is committing to more than another appearance as a “special attraction.” Rather, he is setting his eyes on again becoming WWE’s gold standard.

Hell-bent though The Rock may be on introducing a new generation of WWE fans to The People’s Champion, there is no discounting Punk’s deftness once the bell rings. Controversial endings to several high-profile title defenses may have tarnished The Second City Saint’s reputation in the eyes of some critics, but they have done nothing to change the fact the WWE Championship still sits around his waist. Before his seedier side came into focus in late summer, Punk spent much of 2012 disposing of WWE’s best and brightest, ranging from Chris Jericho and Daniel Bryan to Dolph Ziggler and Kane. How will the WWE Champion match up against one of the pillars of The Attitude Era?

As the WWE Universe excitedly counts down the days until Jan. 27, the back-and-forth between two of WWE’s most compelling talkers is bound to pick up steam. It will not be until the Royal Rumble, however, that the trash talk gives way to the gravity of a game-changing WWE Championship bout, the likes of which hasn’t seen in years. Will Royal Rumble mark the rebirth of a championship Brahma Bull, or will it only underscore what Punk has claimed all along, that he is untouchable and in a class by himself?
The Rock explains why he wants WWE Title

WWE part-time star The Rock revealed why re-capturing the WWE Title is important to him in a new interview with WWE Magazine. It's a statement that has been missing from WWE television leading up to the Royal Rumble PPV.

"It starts with recognizing what the WWE Championship represents to me," Rock said in the February 2013 issue. "Every time I hold that title over my head in victory, it not only signifies the fact that I have delivered the absolute best entertainment that I could to the WWE Universe, but that I'm taking a moment to live an experience that all the generations of wrestlers in my family strived to achieve.

Rock continued, "There is no other award that I could receive that's as deeply ingrained in my blood and history as the WWE Championship - and that's why it means so much to me."

At the same time, Rock said that after his first WWE Title reign - which came in 1998 - he decided that he would never allow his possession of or lack of the WWE Title define his career.

"After my first WWE Championship run came to an end, I made a conscious decision that night that I would work harder than any other Superstar in the locker room to become the type of WWE entertainer who, if I never had another championship run again, it would not define my career. I never wanted to rely on a title run for success."

Rock's next statement reflects his recent approach to mixing "entertainment" with "seriousness." Rock concluded, "My goal was to get to a place where I relied only on what I could bring to the table in terms of being entertaining and having a one-of-a-kind - and electrifying - connection with all of the WWE Universe."

[ FYI: Rock's interview is part of a cover-feature on Rock in the latest WWE Magazine. ]

Link - http://pwtorch.com/artman2/publish/WWE_News_3/article_68014.shtml

See less See more
9 2
#3,054 ·
Re: Official The Rock WWE Championship Discussion

The title match should be before the Rumble so the loser can enter the Rumble last and win it
have the rock lose because of lesnar interfering, then have the rock enter the rumble at number 30 and win it. have him win at wm29, then drop the belt at survivor serious so that the GOAT can finally get a decent long reign, have him win the WHC sometime between then and become undisputed champ.

#3,056 ·

^ I got it.................................................

#3,059 ·

Oh yeah, if he could come back full time, perfect way to unify the titles and also, when the year runs out, a good way of having a truly deserving guy go over Rock.

It would be nice if he could come back full time or at least on a Brock schedule. I wasn't sold in the past but now I'm convinced that he could single handed turn the company around.

#3,060 ·

This might sound crazy, but if the rock comes back for say 2 full years.royal rumble 2013-wm32. He is given the belts at wm29, he gets to hold em for a good 7+months, have a truly deserving guy go over him. Have him win the belts some more, have him main event and be in all the public appeareces and he can promote his movies while wearing both titles. have him be the focal point of every raw, smack down, house show, paper view, let wwe be tv-14, bring back 1999-2000 style rock, and bamn, the fifth boom period starts.

#3,061 ·

I don't know about all that. I don't think Rock can maintain a boom period by himself. Remember, it took a strong supporting cast to make the Attitude Era and the reason it even worked in the first place was because it made new stars.

I wouldn't mind to see Punk/Attitude Era. Would be a good way to put Punk over as a competitor and also make for good TV, by having him feud with Rock, Foley and eventually, Undertaker and Austin. Maybe even have more guys added to Punk's stable (possible NXT invasion) and start a feud with the entire WWE, in which the Attitude Era guys come to save the day.

#3,062 ·

that is true but what am saying is that if the rock single handedly manages to take the raw ratings from 2-3s to 4-5s, then he started another boom, ofc it would take a miracle for him to pull 6-7s like he was doing in 2000 but who knows. I also think if he does that then he will undoubtedly become GOAT in every bodies eyes. BTW who do u think is the GOAT.

#3,081 ·

that is true but what am saying is that if the rock single handedly manages to take the raw ratings from 2-3s to 4-5s, then he started another boom, ofc it would take a miracle for him to pull 6-7s like he was doing in 2000 but who knows. I also think if he does that then he will undoubtedly become GOAT in every bodies eyes. BTW who do u think is the GOAT.
Regardless of the things he did in the past, to me, GOAT is HBK.

But at the same time, I can't sit here and ignore The Rock. He accomplished so much inside & outside the business in such a short amount of time. What makes it even better, he didn't use politics to get to the top and from what I've read, has always been about the business and helping put over stars.

There has never been a performer of Rock's stature that you never hear any foul shit about, he's genuinely a nice guy and has done a lot for the business (even more than Hogan). Rock helped elevate HHH (which he shouldn't have done), Mick Foley, Chris Jericho, Brock Lesnar, gave Hurricane a big moment and even with his busy schedule, always makes the time to help WWE when they need it most.

So, while I'll always say HBK, I can easily swap him with Rock, simply for what he has done and what he means to WWE. And honestly, I can never rank Rock below Hogan. Just doesn't make sense. Yeah, Hogan took wrestling mainstream but he was replaceable. WWE is struggling to this day, to fill the void left by Rock nearly 10 years ago and he'll be damn near impossible to replace. Hard to find a guy with his size, talent, humbleness and ability inside that ring and respect for the business outside. Easily the most respected star in the business, I can admit that.

#3,064 ·

hulk hogans wants to have TWO chats with you.

#3,068 ·

how would u book him to turn heel??

#3,074 ·

how would u book him to turn heel??
Rock vs Cena for the title, Cena has done a lot but can't seem to put Rock away, so his expression begins to change with people are chanting "your shit is getting stale" and Cena goes for one more FU, but Rock counters and hits the Rock bottom. Rock can't seem to muster up a pin attempt, so he uses the time to recover, and once he gets to his feet and Cena starts to get up a bit, Randy Orton after winning the WHC off of Sheamus runs down the ramp. Orton hops on the apron and Rock tries to knock him off but misses when he brings his attention back to Cena, Cena hits the rock bottom on Rock.

Cena will then go for the pin and Rock kicks out at 3, Orton then screams "SHIT!!!" and the crowd begins to chant "HEEL TURN, HEEL TURN, HEEL TURN" because we're smarky as fuck. Cena goes to the ropes and says to Orton, "why won't he stay down?" and Orton bites his finger and starts spazzing a bit. Once Cena turns his attention to Rock, Rock hits the spine buster on Cena and does the "U CAN'T SEE ME" gesture to Orton but only with one finger (his middle finger) and Orton is panicking. Rock hits a FIERCE people's elbow on Cena an as the ref is about to count the third pin fall, HHH pulls the ref out of the ring :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek: and knocks him out.

When Rock notices what has happened, he looks at HHH with THOSE CRAZY eyes he used to do like "no this big nose ni**a didn't just screw my win". Rock and HHH begin trash talking while HHH is taking his tie off like he wants to fight, then BOOM RKO outta nowhere, then HHH slowly goes into the ring with a smile on his face picks the Rock's dead carcass up and pedigrees him, and then feeds him to Cena for a FU, and then calls Brad fucking maddox to count the pin, but Rock still kicks out :eek::eek::eek:. After that Cena beats the hell outta of the Rock with a chair and pins him to win the title.

Before hand HHH beat Punk clean, Orton heel turned on Sheamus, Ryback faced Show to win the WHC, and Brock faced Taker.

The show closes with all 4 on each corner steel post with their arms held high.

#3,071 ·

Whack his dick out and piss on the kids in the front row. Would make a moment that no one would ever forget, it will get people talking and I doubt kids would cheer him.
hmm i can think of a way, he goes to some kid, he says hi, then he gets a serious face and flips the kid off, the kid starts crying and cena has a huge trol face smile hahaha. 1 word EPIC.

PS: AUSTIN sucks (sarcasm)

#3,088 ·

What will be your reaction if WWE makes the Rock have scripts again on his wrists and Punk points them out?
^ i would spit on my tv, send a mail to wwe.com saying fuck u for destroying the GOAT, and continue watching raw until rocky become the chAMP.

#3,119 ·
Re: The Rock and the Rumble

Punk won't retain. The correct form is "a chance." When has the rumble match ever not been the main event? Of course it will go last.
Surprisingly, a few times.

Royal Rumble 1988 (the very first one) - Main Event, The Islanders vs The Young Stallions
Royal Rumble 1996 - Main Event, The Undertaker vs Bret Hart
Royal Rumble 1997 - Main Event, Shawn Micheals vs Psycho Sid
Royal Rumble 1998 - Main Event, Shawn Micheals vs The Undertaker
Royal Rumble 2006 - Main Event, Kurt Angle vs Mark Henry

Know your wrestling history :genius

#3,095 ·

A) The Rock is maineventing. End of story.

B) Why would they waste the RR win on The Rock when there's 20 other scenario's where he could wind up in that match?

C) It would make more sense for Punk to win the Rumble in that scenario. People would be happy that he finally lost the title only for Punk to go and cheat his way into a Rumble win. The heat would be outta this world.

#3,096 ·

A) The Rock is maineventing. End of story.

B) Why would they waste the RR win on The Rock when there's 20 other scenario's where he could wind up in that match?

C) It would make more sense for Punk to win the Rumble in that scenario. People would be happy that he finally lost the title only for Punk to go and cheat his way into a Rumble win. The heat would be outta this world.
Implying that the smarky crowd will have heat for Punk. Hed still have 50-50 reactions everywhere else too, big win for punk = louder cheers from one half, sneaky rumble win = louder boos from the other half

#3,100 ·
The WWE title

I started thinking about what could happen over the next few months, and considered this idea. Obviously the big question is if The Rock will win the WWE title. I have individual scenarios explaining why he could, and why he won't. I will start by explaining why he may possibly win the WWE title this Royal Rumble PPV. I can't imagine he would headline a PPV, and not win.

If the WWE title were to be awarded to The Rock could this be the best publicity for the WWE itself? The Rock is the most accomplished Pro-Wrestler turned Hollywood actor of all time, and most already know that. Obviously with is schedule in Hollywood there is very little reason to assume that the would be able to defend that title often. Then I started to think of another big name wrestler who was too big for Wrestling at one point, and that is Hulk Hogan.

We rarely saw Hogan on our televisions while he was champion, and he wasn't really defending his title, or on very much to begin with. This is what made Hogan such a draw. You rarely saw him, so when he came around people packed the arenas nationwide to see. Today, most wrestlers are overexposed, and thus we take it for granted. Could The Rock pull off the same booking that Hogan was apart of during his huge success as Hulkamania ran wild? Imagine The Rock winning the WWE title, and then taking it everywhere he goes?

My reason for him not winning the title for me makes more sense than him winning it. CM Punk is the top title holder in the company, and I just can't see him losing it to The Rock. If CM Punk can defeat The Rock, then he can say that where Cena failed, he succeeded in beating The Rock, and not allow The Rock to tarnish the title, and taking it to Hollywood like it's some prop. The Rock has been notorious for putting other stars over, and he didn't need to put Cena over at Wrestlemania because John Cena is already established. CM Punk's career would take off, and it would cement him up there with the all time best.

#3,102 ·
Any chance of the shield interfering the rocks royal rumble match?

Most people in this forum believe that rock will beat punk for the title cleanly at royal rumble, if punk retains at the tlc ppv which is about 99.9999%, or maybe punk retains in some cheap way, a lot of people have been saying that Brock Lesnar interferes and screws the rock over giving Punk the win, i can see this happening because i doubt the rock is gonna be a wrestler full time for about 4 months.

But i don't think ive heard anyone say or think that there's a possibility that the shield interferes and screws rock over and give punk the dirty win. I believe this scenario might play out firstly because of the interview with cole this week the shield said something about trying to stop ryback ruining cm punks reign and stop him trying to ruin a good thing, wouldn't this just be the same when rock faces punk. And secondly it does book them to be very strong and it shows that their stable is the real deal.

I believe this scenario has about 20% chance in my opinion maybe this is why shield was creating in the first place, to help punk beat the rock , post what you guys think.

#3,132 ·
Re: Any chance of the shield interfering the rocks royal rumble match?

firstly because of the interview with cole this week the shield said something about trying to stop ryback ruining cm punks reign and stop him trying to ruin a good thing, wouldn't this just be the same when rock faces punk.
No. The Shield said in the interview that it was an injustice that Ryback tried to stop Punk's 365 day celebration, not his reign. Two completely different things.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.