Wrestling Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

NFL Thread: RAVENS SUPER BOWL CHAMPIONS

326K views 7K replies 218 participants last post by  Notorious 
#1 ·
Preseason cranks up tomorrow and that means we're less than a month from games that count.

This is the best time of year.

#5,235 ·
Well that's the thing..You can make an argument he didn't it break for 1 of 2 reasons:

1. He still battled significant injuries throughout the year and his team is 4-11

or

2. You can say it's been broken due to the year Fitzgerald was on it and made it to the Pro Bowl

I need a 2 year streak personally..

#5,236 ·
How do you get over 400 yards passing and still not get one passing touchdown?

#5,245 ·
Wait didn't Cutler not play against the Texans? Or he was KO'ed that game? At any rate, the Bears or Ravens aren't a quality win. Both teams have gaping holes. Neither are much better than Miami, which is to say they're both pretty mediocre.

What're you gonna do when/if Denver beats Houston in the playoffs?

Pretty geeked for today's games. Tons of playoff implications; it's like Christmas come early.:mark:

#5,248 ·
Cutler got KO'd either at the end of the 2nd quarter or in the beginning of the 3rd quarter, can't remember which one.

And they played the Ravens without Ray Lewis & Lardarius Webb, plus Ed Reed & Haloti Ngata got injured in that same game, and Terrell Suggs was playing his first game back from missing all those months being injured.

Now look I'm not saying the Texans are a bad team, they're a good team. But they are overrated, especially by their fans but that's understandable. I am of the belief that the Texans are pretenders. Can they prove me wrong? Yeah they can, but until they do I still stick with my original opinion.

#5,250 ·
Cutler was hit in the head halfway through the second quarter, but finally made his exit at halftime. Cutler at the time had the worst 1st quarter passer rating in the league and the best 4th quarter passer rating in the league. The Bears did only lose by 7.

Anyways, I need a Ravens win and a Saints or Eagles win today on top of a Bears win. I'm not seeing that happening.

Oh, and congrats to Calvin. He's my favorite receiver in the league and the only player I have more than two jerseys of (his Georgia Tech, Detroit home, and Detroit Black alternative). I hope he breaks 2000 next week.

#5,254 ·
A pretender is a team that looks good coming out the gate, but is exposed as a fraud, ie isn't actually a good team. For instance, the Cardinals were poster boy pretenders. Started 4-0 and are easily one of the worst teams in the league. While Houston might not be as good as their record indicates, they clearly are a good team.

I won't see it as a failure if the Texans lose in the AFC title game.

#5,255 ·
And Notorious is right to believe they are pretenders. Both the Falcons and the Texans. They both have had some fluky victories and some luck. They both have had some injuries on defense to key players that may bite them in the playoffs. The Falcons have been in this spot before and lost in their first playoff game. The Texans Defense is actually allowing more yards through than before. Pretenders might not be the best word for it, but they aren't the best teams in their conference.

I also believe that teams resting their stars for more than a week will disrupt their own momentum. I will definitely join Notorious in saying they won't go far if they both rest their starters next week as well as that bye week.

#5,257 ·
Nah he's wrong. Pretender is too extreme of a label to put on playoff contending teams. There can be exceptions, but Houston and Atlanta aren't pretenders by any stretch. Are they clearly the best teams in each conference? Hell no. Parity rules these realms.

It starts around 7:20 CST. Do the math from there. I think it's 6-8 hours difference. Not sure.

#5,261 ·
Fair enough.

I guess them being eliminated in the AFC title game wouldn't necessary be a failure due to their team history...but they have higher expectations, Super Bowl expectations. But if they were to get eliminated in the AFC title game, I guess it would depend on how they lost, how hard they fought, etc.

#5,260 ·
Atlanta and Houston aren't contenders, but that doesn't make them pretenders either. It's not one or the other at this point in the season, they've shown they can beat teams, but have histories that say they won't. Might that change this year? Don't know until it happens, but HFA teams lose as many second round games as they win of late, so what does it matter really?

#5,262 ·
If you're a betting man, then wild card teams have shown they're the biggest lock over the last few seasons. 3 out of the last 5 to be exact. Or using the NFC as the possible pick. It's the much better overall conference and it's got a 4 out of 5 year streak going. Could continue. The prospects are always fun.

#5,265 ·
One thing I've noticed about the Texans this year is that they're a little bit of frontrunners, they struggle playing from behind. Once the Patriots & Packers went up 14-0, the Texans kind of just rolled over and quit. Doesn't help that Matt Schaub has a history of disappearing in big games.

The Texans will at least be in the AFC title game. I don't see the Ravens, Bengals, Colts or Steelers coming to Houston and beating the Texans in Reliant. Pats-Denver should be interesting, especially if the game is actually in Denver.

But yeah I agree with Stocking Filled with Hayley Joy, whoever makes it out of the NFC will probably win. Just hopefully the Giants get KO'd and don't make the playoffs. Don't feel safe with those bastards around.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.