Wrestling Forum : WWE, TNA, Debate League, Wrestling Videos, Women of Wrestling Forums - View Single Post - Classic Jobbers: Jim Powers
View Single Post
post #4 of (permalink) Old 10-27-2012, 12:58 AM
Greenlawler
Old School, cause I'm an old fool....

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)

Re: Classic Jobbers: Jim Powers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Zybyszko View Post
Yep, his lack of height definitely put him at a disadvantage.
I think once again the WWF pr department struck here. Jim Powers was no way 5'11, maybe 5'9at best. The WWF always added at least 3 inches to everyone, and the wrestlers themselevs believed the WWF pr people. If Jim Powers had been 5'11 it would have put him at a legit height at the time. Many superstars were less than 6'0 including Ric Flair (who I know is not 6'0 tall). I am 6'0 tall and I have towered over many of the supposed 6'0 plus guys billed by wreslting companies in the pictures I have taken over the years.

The deeper question here is what constitutes a jobber? I am not arguing Powers was not a jobber, he was. Although we would all admit he was a little better than your typical jobber because he did score lots of wins here and there in the loaded WWF. Lots of guys we would consider WWF and even WCW jobbers had solid careers in the territories.

I think Jimmy Powers would have been a star in some of the territories early in his career, but by the time he left the WWF his lot was cast because of exposure.

Many "classic jobbers" due to WWF television were really treated as main event wrestlers in and managed to get titles in the territories: Guys like Barry Horowitz was a contender in Florida and Memphis. The Italian Stalion perhaps the ultimate jobber in the 80's NWA held titles in the territories. Len Denton, Tony Anthony, even Iron Mike Sharpe served as little more than jobbers in the "big two" but were all headliners throughout their career.

So there is a difference to me in a classic jobber (and Mike I am agreeing with your threads not disagreeing) and a "glorified jobber" who had a gimmick or music, or a "Big Two" jobber who was a star in other areas.

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome