Wrestling Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Workout/Staying in Shape Thread

526K views 6K replies 634 participants last post by  Nostalgia 
#1 ·
Thought I would bring this thread back, has died many times before but hopefully we can keep it going this time. Basically discuss anything to do with working out, weight lifting, body building, dieting, etc. Feel free to give people tips, ask and answer questions, whatever you guys want.

I started pretty recently myself. Never did anything up until I was like 18 as I was always playing high school sports so never had to worry about getting out of shape. Started doing casually since then and now been going hard for the past 4 months about. I am stronger in virtually every area now, stuff is starting to take shape and I am pretty damn happy with the results.

Goal now is to bulk up, which is tougher then it sounds :$

#5,110 · (Edited)
Hi guys, I need some personal advice. I'm preparing for the upcoming World ***** Championship, competing in combat division, and I'm experiencing some severe joint issues that are really slowing down my progress. It's my knees. They've always been shit. Ever since the age of 16 it feels like there's nothing but chalk inside of them. Just chunks of chalk, grinding inside my knees every time I squat, sprawl, etc. Crouching for any period of time longer then 1 minute is physically impossible for me, the pain is immense. Also, since I've started in combat *****, I've been getting lowkicked, A LOT, and that's really not helping the issue.

Do any of you guys experience similar knee problems and how do you go about your training regarding them?

#5,115 · (Edited)
Hello friends, I come here in need some of your expert nutritional advice. I recently started taking a fish oil supplement to boost my intake of dem dere essential fatty acids EPA+DHA and ever since I've been having the wildest, most vivid dreams. Some are not fish related (for example in one dream I was a tank commander fighting against aliens on the moon) but most are related to fish and marine life. I am usually the fish and I'm usually swimming away from bigger, terrifying fish. And sometimes sharks. One dream in particular was very frightening as I was swimming away from a giant squid and I woke up in a cold sweat. Scary stuff. I've also noticed great increases in my 50m breast stroke time.

Is this normal?

@Rush

If you dream of being a fish, it could be an expression of your spiritual desires, or your romantic longings.

If you were caught in the dream (in a net, or on a hook), you might find yourself “caught” in a complicated life situation. Look to your values for the answer, or imagine how the person you want to be in 5 years would deal with all of this.
Found this on the net :hmm: Interesting

#5,123 ·
Never posted in this thread, but via my nutrition course and a renewed drive in my personal health, I've been slowly changing my life since the start of the year. Little things, not totally drastic or anything, but making sure to focus on lifestyle changes instead of crash diets or killing myself working out (both of which I've done and both of which I paid for in the end).

Fortunately, though, I've been more active and eating better than I can remember. And, while I'm somewhat hovering around the same weight (lost about 15 lbs. in the first few months, been around that weight for about a month now), my body fat percentage has decreased. It's pretty exciting and I hope to share more wonderful news with the fit individuals on this forum.

#5,124 ·
Back 2 the Future!

I haven't barbell rowed in maybe 4 months. Still can hit 225 x 3 perfectly.

Then I can bench 235 x 3, it's deadlift 335 x 3. Lol my past priorities are obvious. 2 plate Pullups though, thanks to a M&F magazine article with triple h

#5,129 ·
Hi guys, Ive been going to the gym now for nearly 6 months with the intentions of losing weight and toning up, anyway weighed myself a few weeks ago for the first time in 3 months to be quite horrified and have put weight on i was 16st, now I'm nearly 17st, I don't feel as though I have put weight on, if anything I do feel more muscly (obviously) but I don feel like I've lost body fat (which is what my problem is i think) so I'm just looking for some suggestions on how to lose weight and lean up.

My workout routine is as follows.
every day I start my session off with a run (except wednesdays now where I do Insanity since I found out i put weight on) and I usually run for 10 minutes start of at the pace of 4mph then alternate each minute from 4mph to 10mph.
Monday: Chest and Bi's (4 different exercises on each 3 sets of 12 reps)
Tuesday: Shoulders and Tri's (4 different exercises on each 3 sets of 12 )
Wednesday: Insanity
Thursday: Back (5 Different exercises of each 3 sets of 12)
Friday: Legs (5 different exercises of 3 sets of 12)

I don't think it is particularly my workout routine that is my problem I think its more to do with my diet which I'm really struggling with, I use a diet whey protein after every session, but its my cravings for sugar that lets me down, also eating takeways for dinner a hell of a lot (as i work across the road from a street of about 10 takeaways) so I always give in to temptation. What i think is letting me down is the drinking of sugary drinks such as Coca-Cola ect.. and I always tend to have a can of monster in the morning, because I don't drink coffee and need a pick me up in the morning, I always find myself saying to myself that I will start my diet, which I do but then I get bored of drinking water ect.. and end up giving up and going back to my old diet, I just find it so hard to not give into temptation. Also I find it hard to find the right stuff because i'm a very fussy eater (hate fish, wholemeal stuff and many many more foods) and get bored with just eating chicken all the time and the fact that eating healthy is very expensive and I don't have the best of jobs at the moment (just a stop gap until I can obtain my driving licence and carry join with Joinery) so I cant afford to buy healthy stuff all the time.

I would just like some sort of advice if possible by anyone would appreciate it.. thanks.

Edit:Oh another thing is... I like to have a drink at the weekend (Cider) as I do work hard during the week so always feel i need a drink to let my hair down. (usually drink 10 cans on a friday and bout 5 on a saturday)

#5,130 ·
my sticking point is the initial pull in deadlifts. I've never had problems from midway up, I an do 465 on rack pulls comfortably. What can I do to work on the initial pull; stuck at 365.

sweet potatoes, rice, oats, whole grain cereal....turkey, lean pork, chicken, beef, tofu (eww), nuts

your workout isn't what I would do, but I have different goals. It seems standard and if you're sticking to, stick to it.

stop drinking soda and [so much] booze. water, suck it up. get fake stuff to add to it that won't hurt you till you're 70.

#5,133 ·
my left leg is weaker than my right leg, mostly due to the fact i would mostly jump with my right leg when i used to play basketball and the left one just never fully caught up. it's so fucking infuriating. :mj2

it's not a huge difference as i've helped it a lot with isolation lifts, but it's still annoying that it isn't caught up yet and whenever i stop going to the gym the left one seems to get a lot weaker than the right one.

#5,135 ·
I'm doing this oddball thing with some Brazilian jujitsu buddies, a "300 Single Arm-Medicine Ball Pushup Challenge." We did 300 single armed-medicine ball pushups on Monday evening and we're going to do them again on this next Monday and do them for 20 days in a row beginning on that day.

I'm curious about this as an experiment. I've always alternated days between workouts for muscles, with some leniency toward repeating every day with biceps, triceps, delts and abdominals, so this seems... Interesting...? Haha.

Have been incorporating a hip flexion routine into my general workout and am enjoying that.

#5,141 ·
Hit my first big summer goal of 3x8 with 405 sumo! I was horrible and clueless with this lift having always trained strictly conventional. My first hypertrophy working sets were with 315 a few months ago. Added a full plate per side to that number in 12 or so weeks. Woo. Hoo.

http://youtu.be/AZCA-F1sDAM

I want 3x8 high bar with 365 next.

This off season high rep shit is a different kind of beast.

#5,142 ·
Does deadlift....goes hard and feels great.

Does overhead press...goes hard and feels great.

Does front squat...goes hard and feels great.

Decides he's so hard and feels so great he'll go up 10 lbs. Feels a strain in his lower spine and finishes with only 1 rep. Goes home with only minor pain, decides inversion table will help. :ti

Can barely walk. Sits through a job interview riving in pain. gets job. NO PAIN NO GAIN!!

So I front squatted 235 (from 225). Obviously not great form.

#5,160 ·
So I can barely squat parallel now. I really hurt my lower back doing front squats a month back. I was able to do front squats and squats today, heavy for me. But, I could only go just a little bellow parallel. Otherwise my lower back would probably cry.

Also discovered my squat form had no concept of tensing my core when squating.

Should go a see a doctor, can't afford it.
just quoting these to show my healing progress. today I hit a PR in squats, 325. SO I'm all healed up.

that struggle :banderas

Reactions: Magic and MF83
#5,151 ·
SO yesterday I decided to have a cider after my workout... I didn't eat before or after and I just thought I would be okay, but I wasn't, I only had one... All night I had the shakes, my body temperature kept changing, I felt very nausea and had bad stomach pains, I also couldn't stand up without feeling faint, does anyone know why this happened? Im still not well now, my stomach is still painful and every time get up I get a shooting pain on the side of my head.

#5,153 ·
Best bulking meal is poutine! Real poutine with squeaky cheese curds and beef gravy! Calorie overload, just make sure you have sufficient protein intake before you eat it, or make newfie fries and throw some beef in with it. Even when your bulking though dont overdo it with the protein you can only absorb 20 grams per hour plus 20 grams during your 20 minute anabolic boost period after a workout. Make sure you get sufficient sleep if you are having trouble bulking, you are actually really anabolic at night and its very important if you want to use the protein efficiently. Also have the 3-1 carb-protein ratio when taking protein otherwise the protein will also absorb less, you need carbs, usually sugar to digest the protein efficiently. Also do 8-12 reps for 3-4 sets to gain size when using compound weight lifts, on isolation lifts for smaller muscles it should more like 12-16, and big muscles like quads should be 6-8. If you do less you are more likely to gain strength, if you do more you will gain stamina, once you start to see results dwindle shake it up before going back to mass building and you should start to see results again, unless ofcourse you reach your natural limit in which case you can either juice or work to maintain your shape.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.